VOX amps and the Blues....

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by 5F6-A, Jul 8, 2017.

1. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I love (classic) VOX amps but I cannot use them for playing the Blues. That ubiquitous chime, so wonderful for pop and rock, becomes really irritating and almost unusable for authentic blues tones. Of course, one can use anything and blues artists are well known for using whatever instrument they could get but I much prefer Fenders amps or even Marshalls (especially the older ones) than VOX...

What are your views?

bulletproof likes this.
  2. marksoundguitars

marksoundguitars Chief Paint Sniffer MLP Vendor

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
    "Then don't do that."

:D

3. ramaglia375

ramaglia375 Premium Member

No expert here but thats why I bought a limited edition version AC30 w/ creambacks

bulletproof likes this.
  4. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Love them Vox tones for a wide range of musical endeavors....blues aint one of them,brother. Im with ya on this completely. Thats not to say one cant knock out some good blues on one,I just dont like it for myself. I lean way Marshall heavy with a bit of Fender thrown in for some spice.:dude:

Benjammin, jeff_farkas and 5F6-A like this.
  5. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Anybody can play blues..but hardly anyone can feel blues. It's just a scale for most.

bulletproof likes this.
  6. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Depends on your definition of authentic Blues tones. Most old school 'authentic ' blues were don on acoustics, occasional resonator. Lot of chime there

BB King used a Clean JC Chorus, also very chimey. I think his very authentic tone is vox friendly.

And I think this guy gets a pretty good modern Blues tone on a Vox

7. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Thanks for that..... the last video proves my point IMHO. The video is fab but not because of the gear he's using but beacuse of his playing skills. The guy plays beautifully but the tone is odd. Kudos to him that he can play so well using a tone that sounds slightly 'wrong'. I can't play if the tone is wrong....

bulletproof likes this.
  8. cybermgk

Guess I don't agree, because there never was, nor is ONE Blues tone. There have been many. It was kind of part of the point.

9. bulletproof

That guy is making it sing,he feels it,man!!! See,I just cant get that groove through a Vox like that,and y'all know,its all about that groove :yesway:

Frogfur likes this.
  10. cybermgk

Now whether an individual can get it going on a Vox, or not, that's perfectly legit.

11. NotScott

NotScott Premium Member

Vox has to be the most misunderstood and most cliched amps on the planet.

I play in a blues band and I have four EL84 based amps. Although I don't gig with those amps, it is only due to feature set, they are all single channel amps, and I need at least two channels live for the material we do. But depending upon how I setup that channel and my guitar, I can get any of them to get anything from a clean, jangly rhythm tone to a thick, singing lead tone and anything inbetween. It is all in how you set them up and how you play them.

Here is a clip of me wanking on my 65 AC10 SRT:

https://soundcloud.com/notscott-491096254/vox-ac101

That is straight into the amp with one of my Les Pauls, no pedals, no processing, no BS. I just laid my iPhone on the floor, hit record and took off. I would be very happy at a blues gig with this tone. And at lower settings, it will do that jangly Beatles, Byrds, U2 stuff that Vox has been pigeonholed into.

Having said all that and having had vintage AC30s at full-tilt behind me, one thing that EL84-based amps lack is that low mid punch that you can get with KTs, 6x6s and the larger bottle ELs. If I am in a studio or playing in a single guitar act with a drummer who isn't the Hulk, I have no problems bringing out the Vox amps. However, if I am on a loud stage with other guitar players and a heavy hitter on drums, I would probably prefer something else to make sure I don't get buried.

Vox and the Blues are what you make of them but, it always comes down to using the right tool for the job.

12. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

There's no wrong opinion regarding this topic. I owned and gigged with a Vox AD60VTX for about 5 years and loved it. But truth is, if I'm at a jam night and there's two amps available to plug into, a Vox and something else, I choose the something else. When I have to choose the Vox, I often feel like I can't get anything going. A weakness in my playing, but we have to live with our own reality.

bulletproof and 5F6-A like this.
  13. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Fantastic answer!!

bulletproof likes this.
  14. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Keep opinion coming

bulletproof likes this.
  15. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

seems way too subjective to me. The video of the guy with the LP sounded like a good blues tone to me (recording quality aside). I haven't played through a whole lot of Vox amps, I never had any issued getting a good, usable bluesy tone out of one. To me "authentic blues tone" is taking whatever you can and making it sound as good as you can. There's no amp or guitar that gets your there all by itself, or that really stands in the way IMO (I'm sure you could prove me wrong with some high-gain heavy metal amp, but even then, if there's a clean channel and/or gain control...)

might just be a white boy from Ireland but this man has the blues

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  16. freefrog

freefrog Senior Member

bulletproof and NotScott like this.
  17. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Rory for sure got a good blues tone but I think he used the VOX and a second amp (Fender Tweeds simultaneously.

bulletproof likes this.
  18. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

:dunno: he definitely used lots of different amps in his life. The video I posted doesn't show any Fender amps, but I see a Vox with a mic in front of it, that's what it sounds like to me

you get a better view of the backline here

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    marsten, Heppe, 5F6-A and 1 other person like this.
  19. Mustard Caps

Mustard Caps Senior Member

I think a Vox is a great amp for blues.

While not as common as some others, 1 may also be able to develop a distinctive sound of your own, vs using a Marshall, or a Fender.

20. bulletproof

Thats it right there,brother!! Well said! :applause:

5F6-A likes this.