Vox AC15HW1 versus AC15C1

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by PeteGalaxie, Nov 12, 2015.

1. PeteGalaxie

PeteGalaxie Senior Member

Is the AC15HW1 that much better than the AC15C1? I'd love to get a Vox to add to my amp arsenal. I've been looking at getting the AC15C1 new, but see a used AC15HW1 in perfect condition. It is still about $300 to $350 more than a brand new AC15C1. Is it worth it?

Thanks!
    Pete

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Senior Member

I'm wondering the same thing. I've tried an AC10 and AC15C1 recently (preferred either to a Fender DRRi '65 or '68). I was all set to buy the AC15C1, though I would like to try the AC15C1X (with the Blue Alnico speaker) against it first to make 100% sure. Then I saw an AC15HW for sale near me.

I've not tried the HW yet, though there are a few videos around comparing them which I've watched through my pretty decent AV set up, but it's still hard to tell if there is much difference in the sound. I do like the fawn cover on the HW though (mine will live in my living room) and that the HW has the 15 watt/7.5 watt power switch.

I think that the HW is made using a pine wood cabinet rather than the (heavier) MDF one of the AC15C1. It's the weight that is putting me off as I know I'll never want to take it out of the house if it's too much to carry, hence I'm also considering the Night Train 15G2 head and I'll have a cabinet made in an AC15 style. I'm just not convinced that the NT head will give the same sounds as the HW and it isn't easy to compare them.

1 person likes this.
  3. PeteGalaxie

I checked the weight on each:
    AC15HW1 Weight 48.9 lbs.
    AC15C1 Weight 48.5 lbs.

1 person likes this.
  4. azzapeel

azzapeel Senior Member

I dont know if the hw is much different,,,,, but i do own the ac15c1. I love it.! And i wont be parting with it. If anything bad ever happened to it i would buy another without hesitation. I like what i like. ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. PeteGalaxie

Thanks for the reply!

1 person likes this.
  6. KelvinS1965

I hadn't been able to find the weights out, so that's useful...both pretty heavy for my duff shoulders to carry. :(

The thing that is sticking in my mind is that the HW would be easier to repair in 10-15 years time. Might seem an odd thing to say, but tonight my 10 year old Line 6 Flextone III (that was bought as a 40th birthday present to me by my family) has developed a fault which probably can't be repaired. It will basically be scrap (or perhaps used as a cabinet to spare my family's feelings).

I can't help wondering if some of the modern PCB made amps will still be around and working in another 10 years time (though I'll be 60 by then, so maybe I won't be working too well by then :D). It's much easier to repair an amp with the components mounted on turret tags (I know, I used to repair military amps many years ago).

1 person likes this.
  7. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

There are plenty of amps made decades ago using a PCB board as well as amplifiers, CD players, radios, cars, computers, etc. that are still working well. If it's done right, it can be every bit as good as PTP.

4 people like this.
  8. PeteGalaxie

I hope to still be in good shape when I'm 60. :fingersx: I'll be 58 on Saturday!

But I definitely hear what you are saying about PCB amps. That's a thought in my mind as well. Hand wired is certainly a plus - just not so sure about the cost. There's a used HW for sale locally and I'm wondering if I should go for it... Weight is also a point to consider. I was planning on using the Vox as an amp to "jam" with friends - meaning I'll need to lug it around. 50 lbs is not light. :eek:

1 person likes this.
  9. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

When I got my Limited Edition AC15C1-CM I did a quick A/B against a HW (which is the one I went in to look at) and against all logic, I preferred the PCB Model. I don't know if it was the Creamback against the Greenback at the lower volumes I was playing at, or that neither speaker was broken in (as they were both virtually out of the box) but it just seemed sweeter and smoother to me.

Here's a pretty decent comparison...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuTPxdAVlcA[/ame]

3 people like this.
  10. KelvinS1965

The key point though is 'if it's done right' and that's hard to tell unless you pull the amp apart. As consumers we have to take some of the responsibility though as we seem to expect every new model to be cheaper than the last, so they have to figure out cheaper and cheaper ways to make stuff. Something has to give and longevity seems to be the result in some cases.

My approach is either to buy cheap/used/ex display and accept that something might fail in 5 years time and just buy another. Or I'm thinking to spend a bit more now on something that will literally last me a lifetime, since I can repair a HW myself. Multi layered PCBs are another matter though.

2 people like this.
  11. kboman

kboman Senior Member

The Greenback in my C1 has broken in beautifully, I really feel that the whole package is a great combination. I just wish it wasn't so !#"%#"/ heavy!

1 person likes this.
  12. AHGrayLensman

AHGrayLensman Member

From time to time, I've flirted with the idea of pulling the Greenback in my C1 and replacing it with either a Celestion Blue or an Emi Red Fang, but I've also found that the C1 is plenty loud and that I really don't need an extra 2-5 dB of volume...

13. sonar

sonar Senior Member

I have all three of the speakers you mention. The Blue is significantly louder than the GB, and the Red Fang is louder than the Blue.

I'm not the biggest fan of Vox amps, but my limited experience is alnico (ie Blue) balances better with the old Top Boost models played at band volume compared to a ceramic.

14. hakkolu

hakkolu Member

I have an AC30HW2 and an AC30C2. The HW sounds more alive to me. It is also more sensitive to pick attacks. However my HW2 is much noisier than C2, especially in MV bypass mode. I am trying to find out if it is expected.