VOX 847 Wah Mods, what have you tried?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by jonesy, Mar 27, 2012.

1. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU

My VOX 847 USA model has the true bypass mod and it was like that when I got it. As far as I know everything else is stock. I have Brian Wamplers Pedal Mod Book and he suggest a few tweaks on caps and resistors just wondering what anyone else has tried and what the results have been. Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

Mookakian likes this.
  2. opalburn

opalburn Senior Member

i have tried a lot on my vox wah... i did the TB and added an LED.. i also changed some resistors and what not... i went to this website Castledine Electronics Professional Guitar Effects and did these mods... i like the way it sounds, but it has a bad feedback problem if there is any dirt in front of it, so i don't use it much.. and i'm not sure which change created that problem, because i did them all at the same time...

3. Dougie

Dougie Senior Member

The utmost COOLEST thing you could do with that pedal? Drop an Area 51 kit in it! Man they are THE most 1967 VOX sounding wahs I have ever came across and I got one of theirs, and an old crybaby with a genuine 1967 VOX circuit board and red fasel inductor in it, side by side the Area 51 comes out the winner. It does everything the real deal does, and then some. Very quiet sweep. Very expressive, very organic.

Mine has the led, the range control (which I would recommend), and the quack control.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Area 51 also makes a buffer that you can add in to one of their pedals that makes it behave in front of a fuzz. They explain better than I can why it works but it's something to do with the loading?

2 people like this.
  4. jonesy

Thanks for the info. Beerdog suggested I try the Whipple inductor so I may give that shot. As far as the feedback goes try running your wah first then the dist. pedal. That's how I run my Tube Screamer after the wah and no feed back issues.

5. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Senior Member

ive got a 847a, i know its not the same as the usa. although mine dose an ok job of things, its far from perfect and struggles to be usable with some other effect pedals. now i did think of getting a area 51 kit to put in it, but its way over my price bracket. so ive been looking in to this wah :hmm: i haven't heard anything bad about the drop in kit. and the other 2 byoc kits ive done are imo fantastic.

6. Nicky

Nicky On The Road Less Traveled Premium Member

I have a Garmopat Modded Vox V847 Wah. Has a custom wound HALO inductor, trim pots (bass, gain, Q, mid, volume), and true bypassed. It's exactly like I want a wah to sound like. Bought it from my little pal, Chobey. :thumb:

GarmopatMods Store

1 person likes this.
  7. Chop'emDown

Chop'emDown Senior Member

I hated my v847 so I made it true bypass and put a Whipple inductor in mine. Also did a resistor swap to even out the volume when the pedal is engaged.

That's it.

I love this wah now. It so vocal, the sweep is perfect for me and that inductor makes great sounds. I use my wah as a dirt pedal & treble booster all the time.

8. opalburn

opalburn Senior Member

i really want one of those area 51 drop in kits, i just don't want to drop the cash on one...

9. jonesy

I did a little more research on the vintage Italian wah circuits and seems that from what I read that they originally used the yellow cup core Fasel inductor so that is what I ordered for my VOX 847.

From what I found on line the red Fasel is cleaner and the yellow is a little grittier and has more of a vintage vibe and that is what I am looking for out of this wah. Once it arrives and I get it installed in a week or so I will post my thought on what the yellow inductor sounds like.

I plan on adding the Fasel first and see what that does by itself and then I may do a couple of the cap and resistor mods as well.

Thanks for all your input!

jonesy

10. Batman

Batman Senior Member

If you end up unhappy with the result I know a certain Batcave where it could find a home. . . :naughty:

:D

1 person likes this.
  11. jonesy

12. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Senior Member

I'm running the Modtone Vintage Wah. True bypass and a great price at the local music store. Couldn't be happier.

13. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

Or a certain 'dog' that could use something new to chew on. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  14. opalburn

opalburn Senior Member

or a guy who could.... burn it... wait, no.....

15. jonesy

[​IMG]

Ok I got the yellow Fasel cup core inductor in the mail the other day and just installed it in my VOX 847 this morning. I am very pleased with the results to say the least. The yellow Fasel is sweeter, less harsh on the top end, has a much better vocal wah quality and also seems to be much more expressive overall. I did not change any of the other caps and resistors on the PC board and don't really think there is any need to do that.

NOTE: The stock Black Inductor had 4 legs. The Fasel has only 2 legs that are spaced slightly farther apart. I had never done this mod before but after studying the circuit board I could see that there were already 2 holes there for the Fasel and only 2 legs are really needed as the circuit was bridgeg on both sides.

Here are a few pics of the mod process...

Remove cover
    Unplug battery
    Remove 2 screws that hold PCB in
    Detach quick pin connector
    De-solder 4 legs, apply pressure and pull on Black Inductor while heating legs. (I used my smaller 23 watt Weller for this job.)
    Clean out hot solder from 2 wider spaced holes with toothpick
    Insert Fasel Inductor
    Solder 2 legs
    Re-assemble & Play :)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

very cool, man. fasels are nice

1 person likes this.
  17. jonesy

Yeah I agree Aly. Easy mod with a big pay off in Tone.

18. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

the 535Q i had was a red fasel model. the Wilson wah i now use has a Halo replica in it, apparently. sounds incredible whatever it is :D

1 person likes this.
  19. opalburn

opalburn Senior Member

so what made you decide to go with the yellow fasel vs. the halo??

20. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Senior Member

jonesy, your giving me to many ideas, now look at what you made me do:laugh2:
    byoc wah dropin kit:), it comes with a halo inductor but also has a mod to fit a second inductor, so will see how this build sounds then mite fit a yellow fasel:hmm: or a whipple, but not sure if its the same/simler to the halo vintage rep that comes with the kit. but im sure the kit will make my vox sound far better that it is now:D

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.