Volume Swells Telecaster

Discussion in 'Fender' started by Mule Train, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Mule Train

Mule Train Senior Member

Boring right? Well I'm getting some real good stuff out of this Telecaster. I laid down the background which started with two chords and now is four, bridge and neck pickup. Now to do the swells I am using the neck pup with 10% less low end. Only pedal I am using is the Soul Food, all set at about 9am for a slight boost. I am getting sweet deep violin and organ sounds that I never knew existed on a Telecaster. It's the only jam I have put down that keeps playing in my head. The more I learn the more it gives. I'm adding 7 chords now and working on a transition. I know what ever I need I already have in this simple and yet not so simple instrument. Players say it's a versatile guitar and it is I believe. The Strat switch wiring it not hard to do either if one likes that kind of thing, like me.

penguinchit likes this.
  2. penguinchit

penguinchit Senior Member

They are great machines! I've been borrowing my friend's Tele and want it so bad. It does anything and if he sells it to me, I think my stable will be complete. For a while.

Normally, with any guitar, I pretty much stay on the neck pickup, but with this tell, I'm constantly using the bridge. The lipstick sounds good, but it's not like the bridge, especially when I give an upstroke right next to the saddles to let the last chord ring out.

3. Mule Train

Mule Train Senior Member

We always want another guitar, it's our nature lol. To have a Tele to mess with is cool. We probably all have hit a chord or note or whatever in a certain "mode" while playing and say wow, how did I do that, especially when learning. I am always learning and it makes playing fun, not a chore.

4. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Try doing swells on the tone control. You need to be pretty aggressive and/or use the whole pot range. It's a reach for sure, but worth having in the bag of tricks.

Danny Gatton was pretty well known for that. Sounds something in between a wah pedal and a train horn. It's pretty addictive.

5. Mule Train

Mule Train Senior Member

It is a great sound too and I have been trying it every once in a while. Like you say it is a reach. I wonder if there is a pot to minimize the full roll on that, mini, no load?

6. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Muley, for my telecaster, i was able to get these nice, smoother pots from Jonsey. I told him I might use the volume control to do swells and asked him about easier turning pots.

He's the man, when I got the custom wiring harness, it was just like he said. The volume pot turns quite easy. More so than my standard pots. You might talk to some folks about that. Makes swells, and minor adjustments allot easier for me. It's the only one of the bunch with a volume pot like that in my guitars.

7. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

Whatever you do, don't turn your control plate around. Blasphemy!

8. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Senior Member

Must really scream set at 9pm, eh? :laugh2:

If you want to do swells, you must turn your plate around! Throw off the chains of old orthodoxies and see the light!

9. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

I tried it, didn't care for it. Changed it back the same day.

10. Mule Train

Mule Train Senior Member

Well, I'm using a 300k volume pot, Gibson, and the stock tone pot. My wiring and pickups have been changed so I have a 5 way switch now too. The volume pot works good but the tone pot is a long reach and I'm not getting any younger lol.

Mine is a MiM S E D A T and it came with the control plate turned around stock. I promptly changed it back, yikes. It took a Dremel to make a small slot for the switch as the cavity was routed backwards.

11. sonar

sonar Senior Member

I've been playing a Tele with a switched plate for a couple years now. I'm a fan.

12. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

[​IMG]

I turned mine around and like it. The main reason was I kept hitting the switch.
    Second reason was for ease of swells.
    You cannot just turn the plate around, the way they are wired. They have to be rewired in order to turn them around, as there is not enough wire to just
    Swap them around.

13. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

Opposite for me, I was bumping the volume knob.

14. Mule Train

Mule Train Senior Member

I kept hitting the knob on mine also. My switch is pretty tight so it doesn't move if I bump it a little. A Bigsby now would be fine for either I think. If I was wealthy I would have at least five Telecasters set up for different ****.

[​IMG]

15. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

I'm certainly not wealthy, but I've managed to accumulate seven of them since 1985.
    They're all different. Closest thing to a Bigsby is an old Hipshot on my '73.
    The last guitar I bought was in 2001. Just haven't seen anything else I wanted.
    The right G&L will come along someday, and the moths will fly!