Volume pot question

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by flimz, Aug 15, 2017.

1. flimz

flimz Senior Member

Could excessive heat from soldering damage the volume pot, causing a significant Loss of high end response?

2. LPaddicted

LPaddicted Senior Member

yes

flimz likes this.
  3. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Excessive heat can do all sorts of nasty things to pots....

flimz likes this.
  4. Assault Bacon

Assault Bacon Senior Member

Yes. I've done it myself when learning...

That and a switch.

flimz likes this.
  5. flimz

flimz Senior Member

Yeah, all the high end sparkle is gone and is very very scratchy. Sounds like the tone knob is rolled back halfway.
    Where can I get one of those MSSC harnesses? I cant find a website.

bulletproof likes this.
  6. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

Jonesy is a member here and builds an incredible harness. I have put his harness in five different LPs. Even one in a Strat. Don't use anything else. (and oh yeah, I gig these guitars 2-3 times a week).
    http://www.jonesyblues.com/

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    bulletproof, flimz and Skit like this.
  7. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

8. flimz

flimz Senior Member

Which one did you get? And why are these better than say, an MSSC harness?

bulletproof likes this.
  9. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

I put a Jonesy 50s LP harness in my 57 reissue back in 2009. The difference was amazing. A lot of people make harnesses but I have always stuck with Jonesy because him and his products are most excellent. Every LP I've acquired since then ends up getting a Jonesy harness sooner or later. About a year and a half ago, I bought a new 2016 Traditional. I kept the stock harness in it, but changed pickups, bridge and tailpiece. I moved the tone control wire to the other lug to get the 50s wiring. Everything worked well and sounded very nice. After about 6 months of regular gigging with it, the bridge volume pot, started crackling and cutting out before turning all the way down. I went ahead and put another Jonesy 50s harness in that one now and it never sounded better. I use volume and tone knobs quite a bit and Jonesy's parts have never failed me once. Can't say enough good things about them. Good luck on your search. :thumb:

bulletproof and flimz like this.
  10. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Getting quality parts is the Key . many shops make and sell Harnesses and parts . Once you find a dealer you like that has the specs you're looking for . You should be good to go ...
    Pot Ranges is something you should educate yourself about . Since that will make a difference in what you hear .... The higher the Ohms the "brighter" it will appear to sound . Today most CSW LP;s get 500K pots of 550K pots (depending on the guitar) . Caps also play a role in tone and should be considered .

11. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Extended heat definitely can ruin a pot but, IMO, 9 out of 10 times when someone asks that same question the problem is actually something else. It's the inexperienced that leave the heat on a pot too long and the inexperienced also tend to make other mistakes in wiring, as well. If it sounds like your tone pot is always on "0", maybe it IS because you have a short in the circuit? Clear photos of your control cavity could help us rule that out.

How long did you hold the iron on the pot? If the answer is anything over about 5 seconds, it doesn't necessarily mean you ruined it but, I'd ask why you had to hold heat on it for so long. Likely an underpowered iron or an old or at least dirty tip. If that's the problem, you're likely to have the same problem on a new harness, if you don't get your iron sorted out, so start with considering why this happened in the first place so it doesn't happen to you again, in the future.

12. Assault Bacon

Assault Bacon Senior Member

This. This is exactly what I did. Crap low-power iron, dirty tip, all of the above and I held it on for way too long.

bulletproof likes this.
  13. flimz

flimz Senior Member

Yes, I have awful soldering skills and a subpar iron.

James, I have one of your harnesses in the guitar and like it. I've swapped many pickups, and have probably damaged the pots along the way.

I brought the guitar to a tech yesterday to "clean up" my mess. He said it was difficult removing the excess solder, which probably pushed the pots over the edge.

Now it just sounds dull and very scratchy. No high end bite. Also sounds like the output has dropped.

Anyhow, here is a pic. Thanks for everyone's help!
    [​IMG]

14. cooljuk

It does look like it's all hooked up correctly but the soldering of the switch and pickup leads shields looks questionable. It does appear that the solder was "globbed on" rather than allowed to flow out like you see on all the ground buss connections on the back of the pots.

Do you see what I mean? It looks like those connections are soldering the shields each other well, but perhaps not the shields to the pots very well. It almost looks like they are hovering above the pots and could come loose.

You're welcome to send the harness in and I'll test it all out and replace anything that's gone bad. I know you said you probably screwed it up yourself and I know it's an older one by the parts but I will still cover anything that's been damaged or failed under warranty. Just cover the shipping.

You might want to have your tech install it this time though, if you don't have a decent iron. I like a nice 100W Weller with a big chisel tip for the backs of pots. A clean/new tip is definitely a necessity, also. Even if the tips look good, they degrade quickly from heating/cooling and start to fail at transferring the heat from the element to the part after so many cycles.

bulletproof, flimz and GitFiddle like this.
  15. cooljuk

Two more questions, first...

Is the dark sound happening on both pickups or just one?

Also, is the electrical tape around the output jack lead just to hold the insulation in place or did you make some kind of splice there?

bulletproof likes this.
  16. flimz

flimz Senior Member

James, thanks for your help!
    Yes, both pickups sound very dark now.
    The electrical tape is to cover up a slight boo boo when I melted a little of the rubber sheathing.

bulletproof and cooljuk like this.
  17. cooljuk

Both pickups sounding dark would mean that two pots had to get damaged in the same way to the same degree. Very strange.

What did your tech think about it?

Either way, since you said the pots are also scratchy, I'd suggest sending it back in to me. That way we can know for sure and get it sorted out. Just email /call me. My address has probably changed since you got it. I had no idea it was one of mine when I first posted but, since it is, we'll have to talk offline since I'm not supposed to talk business outside the vendor forum, as a vendor.

GitFiddle likes this.
  18. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

I have burned many…until my soldering gun temp is over 400, then I’m starting to get close.
    Those I burned, just no sound, or noise when turning the knob.

19. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

The secret is a powerful soldering iron that can introduce high heat quickly and then be taken away and allow pot to start cooling asap. Where people go wrong is with cheap irons that have to sit on the pot and build heat to melt solder eventually. I use two types but whenever I can I use my pistol grip Weller, that's my go to iron. Pull the trigger and within 10 secs it's hot enough to solder. I also use canned air to cool off the pot ASAP

20. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Practicing soldering is something worth while if you plan to do your own work . Having the correct tools for any job makes that job easier and better once you've grained the skill to do it ...
    BTW - Pots can be disassembled to clean the outside cover ,so you never have to worry about burning a pot . I'd say depends on your eye for details so re-assembly is ~ easy .

If you do enough soldering , buying a temp. control unit is a great investment . It allows you to work at a speed comfortable to your skill (heat=speed) ... A Weller IIRC 40Watt costs about $40.00 complete with soldering iron ... Since I started using it , I've never burned a pot . Pots ~@ $10.00 a pop ,it easily pays for itself .

Using a Soldering Gun , IMO, is a mistake for most people and gets way to hot for the lessor skilled .

It's not difficult to clean the tip ,, takes 2-3 seconds with a Hot iron and a damp sponge .... Then tin it with some new solder and the world will be all good . HINT : Forget to add some new solder and you'll think something is wrong ,since your solder wont adhere to the pot .