Vocal Mics

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by foxtrot, Jan 23, 2017.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay Senior Member

Like I say, I'm no expert. To my ears it has a nice airy sound to it, but I've not compared it with ribbon mics or big condensers, only against my other AKG dynamic mic and my SM58.

2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Well since you brought it up I figure I really should take a listen to it again. I can't hold a grudge forever... I do remember it being super-duper bright!

3. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

I have a e385 and like it a lot, but I'm only doing demo type recordings and primarily use it live. What's wrong with just using the SM58 for recording? Can't go wrong from $100

4. Otto tune

Otto tune Senior Member

+1.
    I might mention that the Shure SM-7B is a dynamic mic, not condenser, but it requires 50 db of gain to get into it's sweet spot, so a average interface might not have the stones. However, there's a device called a "Cloud Lifter" that you can put in line and provides 25db of gain. It uses phantom power for the Cloud Lifter. No adjustments, in/out, The Cloud Lifter does not pass phantom, but it uses it. Used in the $100-$120 range.
    If you're going into a desk, you probably don't need it.

5. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

The SM7B sounds like a good mic just in general to have around, so I'll definitely consider that, as well as some of the other suggestions like the Rodes and the other Shure that KP mentioned.

I think my Focusrite Saffire 24 is supposed to offer up to 60dB, so that shouldn't (hopefully) be an issue.

6. yeti

yeti Senior Member

Question for Freddy, John and anybody else: Are current production SM7's identical to earlier models? I ask because I've tried new SM 7's and found them lacking, just like I find recent SM 57's/ 58's lacking. What I mean is once you hear an old 545SD you'll look at SM57's in a different way. Just wondering why I didn't like the SM7 in person while I hear great recordings made with them (given the need for superior rejection of unwanted sounds)

BTW, an older Sennheiser 431 Profipower is a GREAT vocal mic.

7. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I was told that the SM7 I like in the studio was purchased in the 80s. All I know is I like it!

8. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

sorry, i don't have itunes, so i couldn't hear the track. here is a slice of a recording i did with a female voice, recorded with my c414 (xlII, the least favored version of the mic, but i love it). but i primarily use it on acoustic guitars.

https://app.box.com/s/9eh46qp8m9cetrijp97z01plgp0tnop3

9. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

Nice recording. The other thing about the 414 is that it uses FET circuitry, which delivers a close to tube like character. The U87 is also employs FET circuitry.

Ummm? Did you find that iTunes was required to play tracks #3 and #13 from this link?
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/all-kinds-of-beki/id1098052061
    Because, when I click it, the page just opens in my web browser.

10. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

yes, it wants me to dl itunes before listening. it also has this message at the top: We are unable to find iTunes on your computer. To preview and buy music from (artist name here), download iTunes now.

11. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

How odd. Both Safari and Firefox deliver me a web page that displays and plays song samples from the album. There's a link/button that says: "View in iTunes" as an alternative. But the link opens in a browser for me. I do have iTunes on my computer. But it isn't running. I guess they only offer the web option if they find iTunes on the computer. How stupid is that? Maybe iTunes installs a browser plugin.

You can also play those song samples #3 [using C414 EB p48] and #13 [using Neumann M249] from here [Amazon] if you care to:
    https://www.amazon.com/Kinds-Beki-Brindle-Blues-Band/dp/B01B9RO27Y