Vintage style Gibson deluxe tuners vs. Grover tuners

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by roadsong66, Apr 7, 2009.

1. roadsong66

roadsong66 Senior Member

I'd like to get everyone's opinions on the quality and tuning stability between the two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Personally, I had the vintage Gibson Deluxe style tuners on my LP Studio, replaced them with Grovers & was a happy camper.

2. Boleskinehouse

Boleskinehouse Senior Member

I've always loved Grovers. Never liked Klusons. I suppose they work fine, but I don't like the look. I've reamed two USA Std.s for Grovers and I'll be doing the same to my R8 and R9.

3. roadsong66

roadsong66 Senior Member

Well, if you're doing it to your R8 & R9 then that's good enough for me!

4. Boleskinehouse

Boleskinehouse Senior Member

Another thing about Klusons is that in my experience, some tend to be really stiff and others feel loose and cheap. I like the precision of Grovers.

Weldaar likes this.
  5. asher67

asher67 Senior Member

Kluson-style tuners made in the last 15 - 20 years have been much better than those of earlier years, and, in many cases, just as stable. Gear ratio for early Klusons was 12:1, whereas more recent copies are 14:1 and sometimes higher. I have guitars with Shaller, Gotoh, Grover, and Kluson-style, and they're all comparable in slippage, or lack thereof.

For me, the trade-off is transfer of string vibration to the wood (and the weight on the neck). The higher mass Grovers absorb some of the string vibration, whereas the Klusons allow more of it to transfer to the headstock. I replaced the Klusons on my SG with Grover Rotomatics in the '70s. Recently, I went back to Kluson-style tuners on it (using conversion grommets), and I was surprised at the difference in resonance at the neck. Not necessarily better than what I had with the Grovers, but I prefer it.

This, for me, was a better comparison than comparing one guitar with Grovers to one with Klusons. My PRS Custom 22 has Shaller gears, while my PRS McCarty has Kluson-style. Other than the thicker body of the McCarty, they are the same guitar. The problem with the comparison is that they were made from two different trees, so it's difficult to tell whether the gears have in effect on the resonance.

xrr likes this.
  6. Saiko

Saiko Senior Member

Always like Grovers overall, but Klusons do have their place on some guitars. There is definitely a difference in tone/feel between the two.

7. vladmaximus

vladmaximus Senior Member

vintage klusons is looking good & great...

8. WahChickaWahWah

WahChickaWahWah Senior Member

While I love the look of the Klusons, they've always felt loose to me. Switched to Grovers and have never looked back.

9. sidepartings26

sidepartings26 Senior Member

My guitar came with grover metals tuners like the 2nd pic at the top of this thread.

I changed them for Grover vintage style tuners that look like the 1st pic in this thread (tulips). I was looking for more of a pearl colour so I bought the Kulsons tulips. I put them on but they weren't so controllable when tuning. So I put it 3 klusons and 3 of the grover vintage style tulips and did some massive bends and stuff. The Grover vintage style tuners were WAY better at staying in tune and offered better control. I sold the Klusons

Plus ironically the mint green tulips look better than the yellowy/pearl ones

10. Neodustin

Neodustin Senior Member

I had a stock Gibson Kluson fall apart once. The shaft fell right off of the damn base plate on the A string. I switched to Tonepros Kluson and haven't had a single regret, only that I didn't do it sooner. I also have Grovers with the tulip-style peg on my '93 Classic and it is very sturdy. Definitely holds its own against the Rotomatic and fits right over the imprint on the back of the headstock from the Klusons. Maybe it's because I'm vain or superficial, but that imprint just rubs me the wrong way.

Either way you go, Tonepros or Grover tulip-style, they are a vast improvement over the stock units, no matter what. The stock tuners do a fine job of holding the string in place, but aren't nearly as smooth and precise as the competition. Plus, the shaft is much taller, allowing more winds. More winds = Improved stability.

It's a pretty easy decision to me.

11. Neodustin

Neodustin Senior Member

I'll thought I'd mention that the Tonepros Klusons feel slightly loose when the string is at full tension. Kinda like the gear is slipping, but don't be fooled, they're just that easy to turn.

12. Toften

Toften Senior Member

I always feel like I have to tune my Gibson Les Paul Standard 03 (Kluson tuners) after I've played some guitar licks, so I am considering changing them with TonePros Kluson style tuners (16:1), I'm not to sure. I haven't tried Grovers on my LP, but when I'm trying out the ES-335 (with Grovers) at my local guitarshop, I always strange enough ends up with tuning the guitar after just a little guitar lick. This is really annoying, but I don't know how the Grovers would keep the tuning on my LP. Altough I like the look of the Grovers better than the Klusons. So I don't know which of them I like the most, like I said, I haven't tried Grovers on my LP, so I can't really compare them to each other, yet.

13. Blues Power

Blues Power V.I.P. Member

i have the older style on my 02 and like them. they hold tune very well.
    they look cheap or straty but imo theyre just fine

14. twiddlebug

twiddlebug Senior Member

I have always been a fan of Grovers, but the Tonepros Klusons that came stock on my Traditional work and feel great and look great. I'm keeping them. I did have to put some pencil lead in my nut slots, but that has nothing to do with the tuners. My tuning has been very stable since taking that step.

15. WillieG

WillieG Senior Member

Changed the stock chrome Grovers to vintage 135 Grovers. I love those vintage tuners, I think Les Paul guitars look their best with these.

16. Guitarfreak4

Guitarfreak4 Senior Member

Klusons for more vintage LPs, Grovers for modern ones and better functionality

I played an old LP Standard (late 70s I think) at GC with Klusons and one of them broke off! Needless to say I have Grover 18:1 tuners on my LP Custom and Grover Rotomatic on my Guild.

17. mikecapson

mikecapson Member

You have to first start with a well cut nut or keep it lubed. I bad mouthed the tulips until I greased up my nut . now there purrrfect.

18. marc1kim

marc1kim Senior Member

Grovers are nice, but I hate the way they weigh down the headstock.

Love the look, weight and feel of the Kluson, and I've never had any probs with them.

19. Sven

Sven Senior Member

I used to like Grovers, but now they are made in the orient and aren't the same anymore. I won't be using them again.

20. axepilot

axepilot Senior Member

No trouble at all with the Klusons on my Standard LE.