Vintage special project inbound!

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by deadlyweasel, Feb 11, 2017.

1. deadlyweasel

deadlyweasel Silver Supporter

Still trying to finish building up clear coat... Weather still not cooperating. Anyway finally trying out serial number stamps. Here we have one if the sets I got from Alex D here.(thanks again Alex!!) 0914171817.jpg

yamariv likes this.
  2. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Nice, that stamp is gonna look great! I can't remember, did you have the original serial # on it before the refin?

3. deadlyweasel

There was only a 4 digit number that was legible. I added the 9 in front.

yamariv likes this.
  4. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Awesome, super cool to know you have the original serial #!

deadlyweasel likes this.
  5. deadlyweasel

6. OBX351

OBX351 Senior Member

Very cool project, thanks for posting the progress!! Sub'ed!

deadlyweasel likes this.
  7. deadlyweasel

Thanks! I laid down the last coat of clear last night, now it sits for a few weeks. It will most likely get some cold weather checking over the winter here along with some aging.

OBX351 likes this.
  8. deadlyweasel

1002171811.jpg tuners are on, its obvious the previous owner/repairman did not use any kind of straightedge or measuring device when opening up the tuner holes with what i assume was a dull chisel.... But hey, screw it they bolt on and I play in a punk rock band.

Kris Ford, yamariv and OBX351 like this.
  9. deadlyweasel

1003172139.jpg well, I guess for now it is as it will be. This is the first time I've seen this guitar fully assembled. Its been a long time coming, feels good to see it. In a few weeks ill do some level sanding and get a decent shine on it. Then some additional wear.

xroadie_jim, Kris Ford, TheZ and 5 others like this.
  10. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

Great job so far!

deadlyweasel likes this.
  11. ESchmidt

ESchmidt Senior Member

Great work! I remember seeing this one for sale on reverb and was toying with the idea of buying it. Glad I didn't as it looks like too much work for me. But you did a wonderful job with it, and I really enjoyed seeing the progress. Enjoy that beautiful guitar!!

deadlyweasel likes this.
  12. deadlyweasel

Thanks everyone! I should say **Edit** its 99% assembled as I didn't want to nail in the black Spacer between the neck pup and the FB till after I level sanded and polished it. Also I believe the bridge pup is going to get the popsicle stick treatment tonight or tomorrow. I would like to give special thanks to Dan at Mojoaxe(Danelectro), Jeggz and wraptail( Tyson tone) for all the help and advice. You guys rock! ill take some better pictures once its cured. Here's a P90 family photo for now! 1003172025.jpg

none2low, The_Nuge, yamariv and 3 others like this.
  13. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Awesome Brother!! I'm glad I stuck it out with you till the end cause that is one sexy Special now! Thanks for saving a piece of history! Looking forward to lots of pics if you can once it's all polished up :dude:

deadlyweasel likes this.
  14. deadlyweasel

Thanks man!!!!

yamariv likes this.
  15. Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x Senior Member

Proper high res photos would be nice. That being said, it looks like it turned out well. How come I never see any decent husks ever? Is it me or have specials become more popular the last 3-4 years?

16. OBX351

OBX351 Senior Member

They are still out there, just not all the time. FleeBay has them occasionally, so does gBase just set up searches. Speak with and leave messages for the vintage guy at your local GuitarCenters (while they are still in biz) and roll the dice if you find something interesting. I found my '52 LP this way. The good news was that it really didn't need much to make it playable. But it was in a shape that wouldn't have killed the value if I decided to refinish it.

17. deadlyweasel

Hahaha decent husks. This thing has more dowels than home depot.

RevWillie and OBX351 like this.
  18. deadlyweasel

Hmmm so finally gave this guitar a serious test drive on my gigging rig. Disappointment was staggering.... I had a shootout between this and my recently acquired 56. The 59' was so dark and dead sounding it couldn't cut through at all. I dimed the treble on my satellite neutron and it was just bad. I was so disappointed. Now in context the 56 was super punchy and clear it cut right through the mix and could really drive while palm muting. Before I painted this I had different caps in it, just some orange drops and it sounded amazing.... Now has vintage bumblebees. Any suggestion before I get pissed and route this mother for a humbucker!

19. OBX351

OBX351 Senior Member

I am not a tech but dark and dead sounding might be your caps and pots not your pickups if it's happening on both pickups. Or it could a bad wire, solder, etc. I am not sure but I'd put in a new harness and see how it responds. NON of my P90s, vintage or new, are that dark. All of my new P90 guitars have a vintage style harness with CTS 500k or 550k pots.

20. deadlyweasel

Its got vintage bumblebees and 250k pots. It sounded great before I replaced the caps...