Vintage special project inbound!

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by deadlyweasel, Feb 11, 2017.

1. deadlyweasel

deadlyweasel Premium Member

Don't drink and luthier.... Well since it feels strong I'm not going to mess with it. In thinking of drilling down about 1/4" on each of the plugs and making some plugs out mohagany but not of end grain... And try and match the grain so they don't stand out too much when I fill and paint it. Any thoughts?

2. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

I think you should leave it as is....a testament to someone who is obviously not a skilled luthier, but who still took the time to get it playing again.
    Just put a light stain and light finish over it.

3. deadlyweasel

Bushings pulled... My mojoaxe studs did not thread in to the ones it came with... Any idea of either of these are original?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. deadlyweasel

.... And it keeps getting more fun. The neck was reset at 2° so im not 100% sure if I will get my action down low enough with the wraparound bridge....

5. TheZ

TheZ Senior Member

That's a bummer. I saw this goldtop in another thread somewhat recently, not quite the same situation but it has been done. And I kinda dig it.

[​IMG]

6. Greco

Greco Senior Member

You should be fine with 2 degrees. I think optimum is about 2 to 2.5 for juniors and Specials plus the pickups sit very low in these if you dont shim them. You should string it up with tuners, nut, bridge and a p90 before you go much further to test if it'll work for you.

Mine is 2.5 with the brigde pickup shimmed with popsicle sticks and it has plenty of room. I could've gone with 2 degrees and still been fine.

7. deadlyweasel

Well, i started cleaning up the pup routed today and now all I can smell is acetone.... Anyway I found studs that fit the existing bushings and a nut to check the action and intonation. Intimates as well as can be expected from a wraparound bridge. The tuner holes are going to be troublesome... It seems that when they plugged what i am guessing was Grover tuner holes they did not drill them centered so my Jr style 3 on a plate tuners will not line up properly. Time to decide whether to drill it out again and re plug them then drill for them or drill them out and use grovers again....

8. Xrun Morzov

Xrun Morzov Senior Member

Have you decided to restore it to original condition or make it a players guitar?

9. deadlyweasel

It would be way more than I am willing to invest to make this a full original restoration. I talked to BCR Greg about it, his opinion was it would never be TV or translucent finish will how much would have to be cut out and graphed in. I'm gonna go for a player. Possibly do aged pelham blue. I have original caps and a bridge pickup, everything else will be repop parts.

10. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

You never know - it could have once been in the hand of Johnny Thunders.... now theres a guy who could play! - Johnny might have been a hopeless junkie but man he was an entertainer!

heres one of his:

[​IMG]

11. deadlyweasel

That is honestly one of my favorite looking guitars.

12. deadlyweasel

Incoming!
    [​IMG] Thanks Dan!

13. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

I hope you at least put it together as-is and try it out. I bet it will look bad ass.
    You don't want it shiny and new looking, and a fake relic job will look like a fake relic job.

14. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Any more updates OP? I'm impatient and can't wait to see this badboy as she gets restored!! :naughty:

15. deadlyweasel

Not much new, lots of acetone and cleaning out thick terrible finish. My parts should arrive tomorrow or Friday so by the weekend I will have it playing. Tomorrow I will be making a nut and leveling crowning and polishing the frets. Still torn on what finish to do. Part of me is thinking TV it with a stinger on the headstock and the heel. Uncle Greg suggested staying away from TV and doing it pelham blue... Choices choices. After I get it all setup I'll decide on wether to do new binding and inlays. Here are sone shots of it more cleaned up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The tuner holes on this are bbbbrrrruuutal! Trying to decide if I should just clean them up and use grovers or plug them and go back to the 3 on a plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Senior Member

I'd probably go for a solid colour - and Pelham is nice :thumb:

BTW, did you manage to get some of your money back?

17. none2low

none2low Senior Member

Ouch!! I feel your pain. Going through this myself with a 59/60 LP Special. Mine suffered some similarly nasty home luthier work to the pickup routes and also the typical neck break/reset. I was able to rebuild the neck route, but ultimately settled on plugging and re-routing the bridge for a humbucker.

Still undecided if I want to return mine to it's original TV yellow finish for similar reasons. Mine was refinished in black and I'm still trying to get all the finish out of the grain.

Best of luck!! In the end it'll be a great players grade instrument doing what it was originally meant to do.

18. deadlyweasel

[​IMG]

Custom guard made to fit. Made by Dan at Mojoaxe! Thanks Dan!

[​IMG]
    Backplate.

19. Danelectro

Danelectro V.I.P. Member

Looks like its going to fit. I'm glad I could help to make the guitar whole again.

20. deadlyweasel

Everything looks awesome thank you very much!