Vintage special project inbound!

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by deadlyweasel, Feb 11, 2017.

1. deadlyweasel

deadlyweasel Premium Member

Well, the big test will be when my mojoaxe order and tuners get here... If it intonates I'll be happy. This paint is brutal.... It was like 3 layers of primer, then like 3 hard layers of yellow, the finish must have been close to .060 thick...frets need a ton of love as well. I may end up just refretting the thing. Well, as far as getting what I paid for... No. If I knew all of this before I would not have touched it. I'm pretty shocked it didn't have a headstock break lol. Gotta work with Dan at mojoaxe to make me a custom guard since when the redid the neck pocket they moved the neck pup route back about .250 or so. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go tv yellow but part of me wants all the repairs on it to be visible. Homage to the hard life it had. That and if i sold it no one could feel like i did finding it all out after i bought it.

2. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

I would be pissed because the neck heel repair was not disclosed in the ad. you have probably done too much to the guitar at this point for the seller to willingly accept return but I would ask for some money back.

3. Danelectro

Danelectro V.I.P. Member

The Gibson logo is correct, so I would say the neck itself is original. Had it been replaced we wouldn't be seeing the Bondo filler and screw holes at the heel unless it was broken twice and we're looking at the amateur repair of a replaced neck. Only a pro would reinstall the original logo into a replaced neck, so again I'd say its probably original to the guitar.

The large frets are of course non-original and the binding nibs are too large to match the original small frets, so at a minimum its been rebound. The inlays don't look right either so would I suspect the entire fretboard has been replaced.

Its a project for sure, but looks to be salvageable.

4. Greco

Greco Senior Member

I just noticed - the tailpiece studs seem to be missmatched. You might want to look at that too before you get much further. I'm guessing the position of the studs was modified depending on what scale was used on the replacement fretboard. You might get it looking pretty good if you re-did the binding dots and fret markers and maybe frets but thats a personal choice.

5. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Senior Member

Seems a reasonable idea, I was always told if you don't ask you don't get.

6. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Still VERY cool brother, totally subscribed and waiting for the next update!! :naughty:

I vote for going back heritage cherry and letting all her "uniqueness" show through! I think its super cool!:slash: MOJO!!

Maybe the seller would compensate you a few hundred bucks for the breaks..

7. Danelectro

Danelectro V.I.P. Member

As bad as it looks, it could always be worse....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. deadlyweasel

Hahaha thanks Dan that is over true! I have to say, minus the terrible paint job and friggin bondo the repairs seem to be well done. Lord only knows when they were done... Allegedly the seller got it on eBay in this condition several years ago from England. And that seller was the second owner.

9. reedy

reedy Senior Member

What's going on with the fretboard past the last fret. Is that just an illusion or does the grain change direction after the last fret?

10. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

in the ad it says the fretboard might have been swapped so chances are it was probably from the original fretboard :hmm:.

11. deadlyweasel

I think it's just an illusion. Looks "normal" in person. These frets are about a foot tall... They gotta get whacked way down lol

12. Greco

Greco Senior Member

Well I'm excited to see what you can do with it. Have you found anything when you stripped it to confirm that it was originally red? Maybe in the bridge pickup cavity or control cavity?

13. deadlyweasel

Nothing yet.

14. Greco

Greco Senior Member

Well keep in mind that it could've been TV yellow. I would've thought there would be obvious signs of old red grain filler. TV yellow had a chalky white base and would probably be a bit more difficult to spot when taking off the current finish.

15. welland

welland Senior Member

I always wondered who approved and wrote off for production on those first edition break-away-neck design DC LP specials at Gibson in 1958?

16. deadlyweasel

I am doubting it was yellow, just based on the areas I have down to bare wood, but I have no idea how far down they took it when they did this terrible finish. Bondo, 3 layers of thick gray primer then that super thick yellow.

17. lewis_grey

lewis_grey Senior Member

Cool project!

The seller is lying to you though, this was for sale over here in the UK only a couple of months ago, I know because I nearly put an offer in for it and it was definitely this side of the pond. Looks like the photos he used to sell it were from the English listing too.

Regardless, I hope it works out for you and you get a killer guitar at the end though!

18. deadlyweasel

Thank you very much!

19. deadlyweasel

Ok y'all got an hour and a half an old tee shirt and a can of acetone after work. Boom! Getting it cleaned up, still alot of cleaning and likely another shirt lol. Ok folks can you put your detective glasses on and help me sort that SN out! Also bragging rights to anyone who can guess how many dowels are in it lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Greco

Greco Senior Member

That's crazy! Before from the top I was kinda thinking OK, I can see the need for the big new block of mahogany and have that scarfed into the neck. But then to drive so many random dowels into it and top it off with bondo!? That guy needs to step away from the tools if he hasn't already. It could've done with a better fit on the plug too. I'm puzzled about the back. It seems like there are filled holes too? Maybe from a previous repair attempt? I'd love to know how Greg would approach this one.