Vintage special project inbound!

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by deadlyweasel, Feb 11, 2017.

1. deadlyweasel

deadlyweasel Premium Member

Well, after a long time searching for the right project to jump on I finally made a decision. Made the guy an offer and he accepted! I have been picking up a few odds and ends to piece together a special. Not many pics just the reverb add.

Gibson Les Paul Special 1959 - 1961 Body Vintage Double Cut Project Guitar https://reverb.com/item/4245896-gib...9-1961-body-vintage-double-cut-project-guitar

2. stilwel

stilwel Member

I was just looking at that yesterday.

Good luck with the project!

3. AlienVintage

AlienVintage Senior Member

Did that really go for close to $1500?
    Just curious: I have a similar '59 husk and wondering what the value might be... thanks!

4. deadlyweasel

I got it on an offer for 1200$

5. AlienVintage

AlienVintage Senior Member

Cool!
    I have a '59 husk and I would probably ask $1,000 for it - it isn't the prettiest, but definitely has potential.

6. FF_Pedals

FF_Pedals Senior Member

Cool. What are you planning to do? Refin? What parts do you have so far?

7. deadlyweasel

Ill decide on the Refin after I get it. i have a few parts so far for it, i will probably go with repop plastics and tuners. i have a 50s p90 for the bridge. Still deciding on wether to get a vintage bridge or to use the mojoaxe bridge. I have two mojoaxe bridges on my other Jr's. I'll likely try and find an original neck pup.

8. d1m1

d1m1 Senior Member

very cool! and great price. projects are fun and after the guitar is ready you love it more than just a regular guitar

9. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

Its great to see people arent going balistic with their prices on these... leaves room for middle class men like me to actually own a guitar Gibson produced in that era.

very cool doublecut btw OP - good luck with the project

10. 58 special

58 special Senior Member

I think your les paul is early 58 DC due to the location of the neck route. I was moved closer to the bridge quite early, because of necks breaking off.

11. deadlyweasel

The seller has mentioned that it could be a 58, I think once I get it and get a better look at the SN I may be able to determine better... Somewhere between 58 and 59. I would guess definitely not a 60 or 61 from that pickup route. Pots are long gone.

12. Greco

Greco Senior Member

It looks like it could be a 1959 body. I'm not sure about the neck although my best guess is it is the original neck or a substitute Gibson neck reattached. It doesn't look to be the original fretboard and I would expect to see some major surgery has gone on around the heel joint under that paint. I say this because you should see the outline of the tenon behind the neck pickup, the neck pickup route isn't correct (some extra wood appeared from somewhere), and the back at the heel looks misshapen. Add a thick solid yellow finish to hide the work and it seems to have all the hallmarks. So many of these Specials have been broken at the heel. I'd say the majority that come up for sale.

I wouldn't rely too much on the serial number at this point. It doesn't look correct from the photo and the 4 digit serial numbers I've seen were usually right aligned with an obvious gap on the left where the year digit would be. Not centered like this one.

13. deadlyweasel

I'm likely going to have it properly refinished so I will see what it looks like then... When it gets here tomorrow I'll put it under the blacklight and see what I can see. I asked and he said it had no breaks/major repairs... So for now I guess I just have to take the sellers word.

14. deadlyweasel

Definitely needs to be refinished. It will get stripped this week. Pics incoming when i get it stripped down.

15. Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x Senior Member

I recently played a 56 tv yellow single cut in Tokyo and it sounded beautiful through a twin. They wanted about 8k. It had a horrible mismatched binding repair but still nice.

I would love to get a fat necked vintage special but anything over 5k is too much for me.

16. deadlyweasel

[​IMG]

I think it's going to be alot of work.

17. Greco

Greco Senior Member

Hmm, well look on the bright side - It could've been a lot worse! :D It doesn't look like it has been messed with (extra holes etc) other than a pretty solid looking neck repair.

The question I have is where exactly the neck tenon is or if this block extends into the neck somehow. I would start by cleaning out the paint from the cavity and off the back of the neck to see what's going on. It doesn't look like there is a neck tenon as such at the moment.

You could probably debate forever what the tonal impact may or may not be of that, but on these the tenon only extends so far until the p90 route cuts through 90% of it.

Anyway it looks like what happened was a major neck blow-out at some point and probably explains why the fretboard was replaced as it was likely broken too. It'll be interesting to see what's going on with the neck.

18. deadlyweasel

What a can of worms... Should i be concerned as to how legitimate this is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. bblooz

bblooz Senior Member

Whoa!

20. Greco

Greco Senior Member

I don't think you need to worry about the authenticity. "Only a Gibson breaks this much!" or it's worth noting that as far as I can tell no company seems to have made copies of these 58-59s precisely because of the poorly designed neck joint. It looks to me like old wood. I guess the question is whether or not you feel got what you paid for.

Plugged holes and plugged Grover holes aren't too concerning. I'd say whoever did the repairs was pretty competent although not so much the toxic waste paint job or using dowels. It looks solid and might make a good player if it sets up well and you can get a decent finish on it.