VINTAGE SOUND-What is it??

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by hedzeppelin, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Samantha

Samantha MLP Cub Reporter V.I.P. Member

a vintage sound is when you have an old set of pickups or an old amp that have been used allot i have a pair of antique pickups in one of my 335's and they are great. and my fender twin (1965) sounds incredible.

the sound is created when currant is passed through the pickup or amp the more currant that passes through the pickup/amp the older and more warn the resistors get and the magnets get worn out and the valves/tubes get more worn. the end result is a deep warm tone. its really nice it just sounds way better than a new pickups/amps.

my les paul custom is only eight years old but the pickups are getting a really nice and warm tone sounds great but the pickups that are in my 335 are nearly thirty years old their the best pickups in any of my guitars.

2. terence_tez

terence_tez V.I.P. Member

well,i recently played a friends 10 years old yamaha,n it sounded quite crappy though...

3. Samantha

Samantha MLP Cub Reporter V.I.P. Member

well if its a bad guitar to start off with it wont likely get any better.

there are good and bad guitars of any brand.

4. Todd Louis

Todd Louis V.I.P. Member

Do you listen to Zeppelin Cream Hendrix Etc .. Then you have heard the "Vintage Tone"

The only why to really describe it to you is for you to go and Play a "real" Vintage guitar.

Something from the Mc Cathy era or Pre CBS

5. GearHo

GearHo Premium Member

Greetings.

Vintage tone that we refer to was played on relatively new instuments/amps, therefore as a guitar aged and entered into what we now call "vintage", our reference for that tone was not from a 50 year old guitar or amp.

A 59 Les Paul played in 1966 was just a 7 year old guitar, a good 7 year old guitar but nonetheless, the word vintage is a new word about old tone, that was played on somewhat used instruments.

You are your best source of tone, played through the best possible instruments you can not help to sound as good as you are capable.

Congrats to a new forum, lets have some fun!

6. hedzeppelin

hedzeppelin V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Exactly. So, the so-called "vintage" sound was made by relatively new equipment (at the time). The equipment is important, agreed. However,
    what the player DOES with the equipment is where the sound comes from.

So, you're not necessarily going to get THE "vintage" sound from old equipment.

Then again, what people are calling "vintage" didn't really sound all that good, either....at least live. Jimmy Page's studio sound was great, but
    his live sound left much to be desired.

7. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

I dunno how sold I am on 'vintage' or 'relic'ed' or any of the sorts of things that seem to get people off these days.

All of my favorite tones came from people who were using gear that was new to them at the time. Its kinda hard to say Jimmy Page was using a 'vintage' 59 Les paul when the thing wasn't even 10 years old when he recorded Zeppelin 1 with it.

Also, most of my favorite tones came from studio records, which have had all the magic pixie dust and editing, compression, mixing, mastering and effects added posthumously to the actual playing of the guitar.

So what does that mean? Who knows.

To me, it means that somebody who has actual TONE in their hands can play anything and make it sound great. Doesn't matter if the guitar has any mojo, or vintage vibe. Doesn't matter if the amp is brand new off the factory floor or was hand built by some guy in his garage.

Players play, collectors collect, tinkers 'tink', and the rest of the world keeps turning. :)

8. ReverendJWblues

ReverendJWblues MLP Chaplain V.I.P. Member

Jimmy didnt use the les paul on Zep 1..........was a Tele.

9. ReverendJWblues

When u find some of that magical pixie dust coud ya ship me some. I wanna take a bath in it.

I agree Players play.......collectors collect.........tinkerers tinker.....
    Me I'm gettin old, I wanna do it all. Man if I only had some magic dust.
    JW

10. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

I'll let you in on a secret... pixie dust? Its COMPRESSION. :D :D

But I know what you mean. :)

11. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

I stand corrected. But the guitar still wasn't 'vintage' by any standards while he was using it. Bands and musicians in that era were so interested in innovation... seems like nowadays people keep looking back for that vibe, but it had nothing to do with the gear. I think it was a mindset more than anything.

Kinda like how when you were a kid, there was a certain toy that was super cool, or a food that you just loved, but if you had it now.. wouldn't be the same.

12. ReverendJWblues

Man if I could just remember being a kid. I think the only toys I had to play with was DIRT. Your right they werent vintage instruments they all played whatever they could get their hands on. Then when they got something they liked they didnt let it go. Ive heard that Jimmy has 1500 guitars.(I dont really know) The most ive ever had at 1 time is 27. Some real clankers some awfully sweet, When I was young we would all trade back an forth, hell I wish I knew where some of my old friends were now.......I know that one is a SHE now........was a he..........WOAH. (whatever gets ya off I guess) Im sure there is truth to vintage instruments, and sound, but lets face it most people dont know the difference between a bass and a guitar. All they hear is the music. Hell Ive played for over 40 yrs and by just listening I couldnt tell you that guitar is 50 yrs old (and I doubt many of u can either, u might say u can but I seriously doubt it) Like I have said in this post before, back then vintage sound was the new sound in the 60s, 70s. 30 yrs from now, the sound of today will be vintage. Im quite sure I'll be long gone by then. Peace
    JW

13. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

I think you and I had the same toys growing up... And I do believe playing in the dirt doesn't have the same appeal as it did when I was 6 years old. Hahaha

You've nailed it on the head there. I wonder what people will say about us when they look back, 40 years from now?

14. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

well Vintage sound to me, then and now is just more or less raw less processed sound, no digital effects as I have said in other posts, i came up pretty much plugging my guitar straight to my olde Deluxe Reverb, when I got my second Les Paul , I really begain appreciating the raw tone of those tubes . when I first started seeing rack gear ect coming in, I was like " Oh Noooo, I dont want to have to go to college just to re learn how to run that stuff!" when SRV, the Allmans, were coming back with vintage gear ect, I was like OH Yeah !