VINTAGE SOUND-What is it??

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by hedzeppelin, Jun 20, 2007.

1. hedzeppelin

hedzeppelin V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I keep hearing people say, "Oh this guitar gives me that "vintage" sound", or
    "I'm looking for a guitar that will give me that "vintage" sound" or "I replaced the pickups so I could get that "vintage" sound.

Exacty what the hell IS the "vintage" sound? Can you give some examples?
    I don't think I've ever heard that "vintage" sound.

2. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Member

That's going to be a difficult one to answer.

Is it the sound the Shadows got from their AC30s with echo chambers?
    Is it the sound the Beatles got from their Vox amps?
    Is it the sound that 'insert name of favourite 60/70s band got from their Marshalls.

Really don't know.

I suppose you could argue that as a lot of bands in the 60s used no or minimal effects, then anybody who does the same these days is getting a vintage sound.

Personally, I much prefer the sound I get from my modern stuff. It's far more reliable. I use no pedals and for me, the sounds I get are perfect. Just wish I could play better :mad:

3. hedzeppelin

I actually think that the so-called "vintage" sound is a myth. Those recordings were massaged in the studio, so how do we know that the raw sound of the guitar and amp REALLy even sounded like we hear it on the recordings? We don't.

4. johnreardon

having played on the same stage as many of the 60s bands, I can assure you that the guitar sounds and playing were raw. If anything, the sounds in the studio didn't match up to what people were getting on live gigs, because many engineers tried to over-control what people used. We had to really hammer into the engineers heads that we would be using our 100w amps and they would have to cope.

When people talk about vintage sound, they probably mean that the piece of equipment is built using practices/procedures that people did in the 50/60/70s. Hence the use of PTP wiring instead of PCB or the use of pickups wired in the same ways people did back then.

I am a firm believer that most of the sounds we all achieve come from us, not the equipment. I still sound essentially the same whether I am using an old Strat through a Bassman as playing a PRS through a Mesa. Now if people want to call me playing the old Strat through a Bassman as sounding 'vintage' then that's fine by me. Life is too short to worry or be concerned at the labels that some want to attach to things. :)

5. hedzeppelin

You're right, John. I agree. I was there in the 60's and 70's as well. Not to the degree that you were, but I know what you're saying.

My point here is, that people say that they want the "vintage" sound. I don't really think there is such a thing. Take Led Zep for example. Jimmy Page's rig sounded quite different live than his studio recordings. So, which one is vintage?

6. idlewild south

idlewild south V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

That post is right on target!:applause:

7. johnreardon

perhaps those who want the vintage sound need to age 20-30 years :rofl:

I agree Jimmy sounded different on record than live, not that I ever saw them live. However seen many videos of their live performances. That may be because Jimmy was an excellent session guitarist and knew his way around studios perhaps more than the average guitarist.

Personally, I don't understand why people want to sound like anyone, other than themself :confused:

8. ptate

ptate V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

It's like a "ping", "twang", or "thung" noise I believe...............

:rofl:

9. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

10. LePaul54

LePaul54 Member

To me that real LP tone vint sound is
    John Mayall / Clapton Bluesbreakers album..pick any song.
    Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper Live.....
    Johnny Winter / Second Winter album..(Johnny use to play a Goldtop so he qualifies!!).....Song-I hate everybody ..Song Memory Pain

Let me add those 3 inspired a crapload of 13 year old kids in my original hometown Brooklyn NY.

Let me add again hearing chirps when the pick scraps the string above the hummer.......mid-range at highe volumes .......an occasional mistake comming thru the recording!!!!!!!

11. zeppelin13

zeppelin13 Member

he knew way more around the studio than the average guitaristits said that he played on more tha half of all the records coming out of britian from i think 1954 to like 1956. and he produced all led zeppelin and created some cool stuff like backward echo and how to mic drums for more depth

12. flameburst

flameburst Senior Member

Vintage Sound is a vintage guitar through a vintage amp, set with considerable volume. No hairdresser effects or racks or boxes. You might be able to get away with a Wah-wah. A Les Paul with humbuckers thru an old tweed Fender Champ would summarise it well for you. Like a bumblebee in a jamjar!

Think of all the electric guitar tones you love; it's ALL vintage sound... Kossoff, Mayall/Clapton/Green, Allmans, early Al Di Meola, early ZZ Top, Wes Montgomery, Chet Atkins, Brian Setzer, Hendrix. Hell, they all sound totally different, and played different styles of music - BUT they all had vintage sound! A Gretsch 6120 through a tweed Bassman has vintage sound, as much as a 'burst through a Marshall has a vintage sound. Sonically though, chalk and cheese.

I guess it was the big-haired 80's with it's transistor amps, rack effects and pointy headstocks which killed guitar tone. Thank the God of feedback for players like Eric Johnson and Slash who steered us back away from that, circa 1987. FYI; you could pick up a flametop '58-'60 burst in London for under £5k GBP around then. I remember seeing them and playing them as a kid, while everyone else was buying Jackson's, Kramer's and Charvel's.
    Also the vintage Strat was making a huge comeback... 'Stratmania'.

13. ReverendJWblues

ReverendJWblues MLP Chaplain V.I.P. Member

back when......the vintage sound was the new sound analog not digital tubes were different speakers were different wiring was different, hell everything was different, people I think took more pride in what they tried to accomplish, hendrix,page,clapton,etc didnt just say I want this sound they worked at it, today I think people sit around and think what can I do with a computer. nobody is willing to put in the sweat for nuthing, its what kind of money can I get for this or that without putting much into it. want vintage sound? work at it just you and your guitar. You can find what your looking for.

14. lexluthier

lexluthier V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I think a lot of people forget that the player is the biggest part of the equation.

15. johnreardon

Not me. Fully agree with that. I played a couple of songs with a young kids cheap Strat copy, a month or so ago. Yes the workmanship was a bit iffy and it was a struggle to play, but it still sounded more or less the same. No one in the crowd would have noticed, except the young chap who was really pleased

16. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

I think the vintage guitar sound difference is small, but it is there. It's the tone of the wood peeking through. It's the clarity of those old pickups.

The amp difference IMO is bigger. In the old days we didn't have monster PAs to project the sound, nor did we have monster transistor amps. The guitar players found their sound with their tube amps turned up all the way. The bigger the venue, the more Marshall stacks you needed. Clapton recorded the Beano album with his Marshall dimed. Mayall said they used those Marshalls because they were simply the loudest amp they could find "that would fit in the van".

Since then, amp manufacturers have been trying to recreate this sound at lower volumes, but you lose something in the process. On the upside, you save your ears.

17. Ray

Ray Junior Member

Well, the thread title say's vintage "sound".

To have that, you have to play that.

If vintage "tone" is what you want, that's a whole different thing.

A good example, IMO...I watched Greenday's Storyteller yesterday, and BJ Armstrong's "tone" is vintage all the way. P-90 LP Jr and (from what I can dig up on the WWW), a Marshall 100W Superlead...also, a JMP MK-II and a few other later model Marshalls. That amp info may be outdated now though.

Anyway, although he has fabulous, raw, vintage "tone", his playing, writing, and singing style is definately more along the lines of what I'd call "modern"....including nearly NO soloing. And what soloing there is, is pretty much straight line stuff...more or less part of the riff or echoing of the melody, or whatever. You know today's style.

So, bottom line...vintage "tone" can be bought. Vintage "sound" is harder to come by.

18. 3Steps

3Steps Senior Member

Here you go, this is VINTAGE sound!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  19. ReverendJWblues

ReverendJWblues MLP Chaplain V.I.P. Member

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.:hippie:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  20. LPCollector

LPCollector V.I.P. Member

That summizes it for me!

I have always dreamed to be good enough that people would have to classify, put a label on, or to emulate, MY sound!
    :slash: