Vintage Parts-Jag Restoration Underway

Discussion in 'Fender' started by diceman, Mar 26, 2010.

1. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

The neck is here - the body will be picked up tomorrow - the guts are here - the hardware is here. Just waiting on the pickguard.

Background: '63 Body, '64 Neck. The neck is all original other than a headstock refinish - which I am going to refinish again in Sherwood Green to match the body! The frets are fairly worn but probably not yet in need of a refret (we'll see how it plays).

I have the preliminary wiring done, and the face of the neck sanded and masked off - ready for GREEN when the lacquer arrives. Maybe tomorrow. :hmm: I plan to get the body tomorrow and shoot a quick and thick coat of primer (I'll be leaving for the weekend - giving it plenty of time to settle). Once I get that sanded down nice and smooth, I'll be doing daily coats of primer, followed by color, followed by clear, sanding in between each coat.

Here is where we're at so far...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:hmm:

[​IMG]

The approximate goal:

[​IMG]

2. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

I dig it.

3. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

4. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Body is here. Screw holes are filled. I will do a bit more prep on it when I get home and shoot some primer today if all goes as planned.

And, thanks fellas!

5. NXC1978

NXC1978 Senior Member

6. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

:shock:

[​IMG]

It isn't perfect - on the last coat of clear I did for the day, there were a couple of sputters from the nozzle. :( But it looks good enough, considering it is going to get a bit of a relic treatment! I'll let it sit for a few days, and will then do a very light 400 or finer grit sand - hopefully it smooths those couple of spots out. I'll do one more coat of clear at that point and then give it a couple of weeks before I buff.

I did put primer on the body today... what a mess! Runs city! I think that my problem is that I should have done a very dry coat first, rather than a "regular" coat, since the lacquer doesn't stick to bare wood as it does to itself. Lesson learned. I put it on fairly heavy, and hope that I can get the runs out without going through this coat. I'll then put on a couple more coats of primer before getting in to color. Again, next week.

No updates for a couple of days - but things are coming along! Since I can't sand the color coat, I just put on one good heavy coat of color and then a coat of tinted clear, and a coat of clear. I'll do a couple more clear next week.

7. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

Good start to the Jag! Keep on Truckin! :thumb:

8. captain tightpants

captain tightpants Banned

Relic?!!!:shock: BLASPHEMER!!! HERETIC!!!! POSEUR!!!!! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Cool project, Dice, looking forward to the finished guitar!!!

9. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Thanks guys! I really hope this one comes out alright.

Going good on the headstock. Somewhat rough (but fixable) start on the body...

10. captain tightpants

What are you using for finish, Re-Ranch?

11. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Yes. The headstock is 2 coats of ReRanch Sherwood Green, one coat of ReRanch Tinted Clear, and one coat of RR Clear. After I sand it on Monday, I'll lay down two more coats of clear and call it good. Will buff it out in a couple of weeks. At that point I'll add the waterslide and hardware. The body will probably be getting done a week or so after that.

12. captain tightpants

I'm going to have to give that stuff a try:thumb:

13. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

(apparently I'm out of bandwidth at photobucket until tomorrow.... :( )

Love it or hate it - I ran in to a problem which lead to yet another intentional "uneven aging" job by the Diceman.

I was just about done... noticed a dry / "flat" spot in the upper cutaway - and ran back out to the garage for a quick shot of clear in that horn. Sure as shit, it started running off of the front! :shock: I figure... I can't afford a sand through at this point - so I don't want to go knocking down this giant run. I can even out a wipe mark, though. So I grab a paper towel and gently wipe away that run. It worked GREAT... other than taking the base clear coat - the tinted clear - off with it. So I had a glaring bright spot showing through.

Then I figure I can hit it real quick with the tinted clear and it will somewhat even it out. Yeah, well it darkened the horn up pretty good as well. And with that, I went ahead and used the tint heavy on both horns and the forearm cut. I like it.

This is where we are right now. Tomorrow or the next day I'll be doing a light sanding and final clear coat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mocked up:

[​IMG]

14. NXC1978

NXC1978 Senior Member

Man, I like what that vintage tint did a lot. I think you should do a light mist with it over the rest of the body too and the headstock if needed. :applause:

15. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

There is a full coat on the entire body as well as headstock, under the "clear." When I sand this coat down, the difference shouldn't be quite so drastic - as the top coat of yellow on the horns and cutaway will be thinned a bit. And, thanks!

16. NXC1978

NXC1978 Senior Member

Cool, it's gonna look sweet!

17. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

Bandwidth exceeded! Wah wah wah.

18. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Tomorrow your mind will be blown. :cool: Body finish is now done. Headstock is done. All parts are acquired. All it needs is cure time, assembly, wiring, and possibly a fret level or partial refret. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

19. loucamaro91

loucamaro91 Senior Member

Oh I can't wait!! I'm preparing my Mustang Body right now. My pops is a Master car painter, so he will shoot the body for me. Not 100 % on what color to choose because the options are endless with the stash of automotive paint he has. I'm going to put the competition stripe back on. What color goes best with rosewood fretboard?

20. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Nice! He'll definitely do a better job for you than I did on mine! :laugh2:

For a comp Mustang, the Competition Blue and Competition Orange are hard to beat! I think I like the blue the best... but it is a tough call.