Vintage or Historic ? Test your Skills Thread :

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by BOBBO, Oct 31, 2007.

Is this Les Paul Vintage or Historic ?

1. Vintage ...

44.1%
  2. Historic ...

55.9%
  1. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

wasshap...thank you for the request.Accepted.

2. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

that is a '60 Burst.

3. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

Damned druken knob hole driller got me too ... :D:naughty: :laugh2: ...

4. jimi55lp

jimi55lp Senior Member

Do you know what the back groove on a Pigtail and a vintage Gibson 50's stop tailpiece look like in compare? I bought a stop tailpiece from a guy on Ebay advertised as a Pigtail brand nickel stop. It arrived with hooks that look just like the mounts on my 50's wraptails, but the wraptails have the string holes on the back that run thru the groove from hook to hook, that are no larger than the groove, but the Pigtail stop has holes that are wider than the groove. The saddle on the Pigtail is 1/8 inch wider in length than the saddle on all my 5 wraptails from the 50's. I think I read that the holes along the back of a stop are larger than wraptails because the string barbs can be run thru the front and wrap over the saddle or thru the back and out of the front of those tailpieces, but I can't find a photo of the stop that is made by Pigtail, only their wraptail. I need to know if I should return it, as it wasn't cheap, and I have the option to return? I looked at Pigtails website, but they just post a photo of the wraptail and only suggest that they have stoptails for ES models and LPs, but no photo.

5. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

Dude, do you not see that Bobbo is banned (forever, by the way!), and that this thread is almost a year old?

6. jimi55lp

jimi55lp Senior Member

I'm sorry about the Bobbo Ban, but found this thread in the search for the term Pigtail tailpiece. Didn't know about Bobbo, but still hope someone will see the question and help? Do you have any info on these tailpieces?

7. Emerald

Emerald Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pigtail has always been the closest to the real thing and their accuracy, quality of materials, attention to detail continues, even after the death of Steve Rowen.
    Admittedly these are wraptails, but I have a Pigtail ABR-1 of aluminum construction and their lightweight stop tail, plus steel studs on my '52/'56 Goldtop:
    http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/davida54/1952 Goldtop/?start=0
    Emerald

8. jimi55lp

jimi55lp Senior Member

Great chart Emerald, can you tell me what your saddle on your Pigtail stop measures across? My Pigtail stop saddle measures 2.605 across on my digital caliper set on inches. The inside measurements of the holes on the back side along the groove are 0.191 and the front holes are also 0.191 . The saddle width is my biggest concern since I don't own an original vintage 50's Gibson stop to compare. The mold mark on my stop Pigtail along the bottom side looks just like the Pigtail wrap tail in your photo. I don't have a digital scale, but the wieght feels the same on the vintage wrap vs the Pigtail stop.

9. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

There are dozens of threads regarding Pigtail....

My Les Paul Forums - Search Results

Good luck.

10. Fletch

Fletch V.I.P. Member

Aren't (weren't) both the pigtails and the originals all hand finished anyway and all slightly different? I have two pigtails (and a Historic) and the two pigtails couldn't be more different in shape. I think you are wasting your time. If the tailpiece feels like a feather in your hand it is at least a pigtail... Also the pigtails have a more blue-ish hint to the nickle plating than the originals.

Fletch

11. used guitars

used guitars Member

5th from left...is that a new york guitar? thanks. nevermind...i know that's a new york guitar.