Vintage Nickel Plating Question

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by tay, Dec 4, 2017.

1. tay

tay Junior Member

Does anyone know where Gibson had their nickel and chrome hardware plating done in the 50’s and 60’s? I would assume somewhere near Kalamazoo but I would like to know what company.

2. Callaway

Callaway Senior Member

You might find out about as much from someone local from Heritage Guitars still on Parsons at Kazoo. There might be a few who could still around who could fill in the gaps from Gibby to Heritage when they took over after the Nashiville move. They might still be using the same local sources.

3. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

one repro parts producer wrote in his ads that he uses the same supplier Gibson used back then. Sorry, but I don't remember who it was. Checking with Heritage seems like a good idea though

4. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

These guys are not the original Gibson plater, but they can, and do use very similar techniques/processes in their plating to what Gibson used back in the day. And check out all their guitar parts while you're browsing their site...but don't tell anyone; they're awesome to deal with, and a well kept secret: http://www.advancedplating.com/site/

Frank

5. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

6. jimi55lp

jimi55lp Senior Member

What are you looking at replating? I've seen many stop and wraptail pieces replated but they are grinded down heavy looking very tampered with? Mostly the seam across the bottom is gone.

7. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

There's a guy at Gibson's Custom Shop named Mat Koehler who is going through Gibson's archived (i.e. piled in dusty heaps) old company documents, including just recently a lot of old vendor invoices. He might be able to tell you who did their metalwork.

8. tay

tay Junior Member

Thanks everyone, very helpful stuff. I have some old wraparound tailpieces that are unplated and I would like to keep them as original as possible.

9. lewis_grey

lewis_grey Senior Member

Pretty sure it’s Throbak.