Vintage MIJ or Maybach Lester?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by daithesaes, Mar 12, 2016.

1. lester square

lester square Senior Member

As I can personally compare the Maybach Lester with a higer end Japanese Momose MLS1 (Honduran mahog. version) I would say the Momose is a bit better, but only since I put in better pus than the stock "Beano" (which are not bad, no, but I felt they did not deliver the full potential of the guitar - no need to change the Amber pafs in the Lester, though). I would say the sound, esp. when unplugged, of the Momose is a bit "deeper", but these are possibly personal tastes. The Momose also has a beefy neck, even fatter than the Maybach, still very comfortable to play, I generally like that, and I think it adds to the tone, the more wood the better.

1 person likes this.
  2. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

The more I play the Maybach the more I'm thinking of selling the Burny's (or trading them) for a MIJ Gold Top with P90's.....or a MIJ SG.....or a MIJ 335!

Don't really need 3 LP's with humbuckers after all and the right one of each type appeals.

Not gonna rush into it however....am really enjoying the Maybach though! So glad I took the plunge with it.

2 people like this.
  3. villager

villager Senior Member

try a tokai LS-80..

4. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

Wish I had the cash to do so! Will do one day though...

Do you know what they did that was the equivalent quality-wise in a Gold Top with P90's?

5. villager

villager Senior Member

LS-70 hard to find tho..

6. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

Thought they might be rare.....I was very tempted by that Greco GT you had until recently but enquired just that bit too late!

Next time......

7. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

truckermde and daithesaes like this.
  8. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

Well, as good a player as the Honeyburst was and as pretty as it was, it just wasn't quite there for me and so it went back.

Couple of QC issues (albeit minor) coupled with the fact that the top was much darker than the sellers pics meant I wasn't 100%.

After seeing the Midnight Sunsets, I decided to opt for one of those instead. 3 months of waiting paid off and that replacement has now landed!

Obligatory NGD post to follow....just as soon as I can get my pics to load!

9. Licks

Licks Senior Member

Vintage Tokai - not even a legitimate question!

2 people like this.
  10. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

One day I hope to be able to make the comparison!!

11. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

So, ahead of an imminent and separate NGD thread, I thought I'd update this old thread because I have recently bought an '82 LS80 so can answer my own question!

It landed a few weeks ago but have held off posting because it needed a new bridge (original had sagged), a fret dress and set up. Bridge is in and dropping her off to my local guitar tech this week for the fret work.

Early indications are it is very comfortable to play; different sized neck to the Maybach though. The Tokai has a 60's profile (very similar to the Burnys I've had/have) to the 50's profile of the Maybach. Haven't weighed it yet but it's heavier than the Maybach. Because I haven't had it set up properly yet I've held off doing direct comparisons but initial impressions are I will keep the Tokai and the Maybach as they are of similar quality. My RLG60 Burny will most likely be shipped out at some point as the neck profile is too similar to the LS80 and I suspect that it won't be anywhere near as nice to play as the Tokai.

Attached Files:

12. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

I really considered buying a Maybach but instead went with a Momose MLS1. Maybach's have a 2 piece back?

13. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

Yeah, 2-piece centre seemed back. 2-piece centre seemed solid top too. It's a fantastic guitar.

How do you like the Momose?

14. scott 351 wins

I love it, the best guitar I've owned.

daithesaes likes this.
  15. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

Saw the pics on the Deviser thread.....stunning guitar! Can see why you went for it.

Out of curiosity, did you play a Maybach before you got the Momose? Intrigued as to how they compare....

16. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

What a waste of your money. Those Maybachs suck.

(Gorgeous specimen !)

daithesaes likes this.
  17. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

Yeah, you're right Ray....awful guitars. Nobody but us should have to play such terrible fiddles!

RayTorvalds likes this.
  18. scott 351 wins

No, I had no play time on either guitars. I just went with what people have said about the Momose line. The specs of the Momose had me sold, I really wanted a 1 piece back guitar. I figured the Maybach's were a 2 piece. I couldn't find a used Gibson Traditional on the internet with the same specs as the Momose. I'm happy with the Momose!!
    I bought a 1999 Bacchus Live Road BLS 120 a couple weeks after buying the Momose, thinking it had a 1 piece back as well. It doesn't, oh well it plays pretty good, not as good as the Momose But good enough.

I'd like to try out a Maybach I'm the future, just don't know when.

19. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

Fair enough! Have never played or seen a Momose up close; must check one out one day. Need a 335 type in my quiver.....

I didn't play the Maybach either before I went for it....knew that there was a returns policy so that was my insurance!

Sent one back as I wasn't convinced by the top, even though it played really well. Luckily, the replacement was just as good and the top even better.

Really looking forward to getting the LS80 up and running to be able to compare that against the Maybach.

scott 351 wins likes this.
  20. scott 351 wins

If the LS80 is as good as everyone says, I think you'll be happy. My 79 LS50 is no slouch. I don't think you can go wrong with a vintage Tokai.

daithesaes likes this.