Vintage MIJ or Maybach Lester?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by daithesaes, Mar 12, 2016.

1. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

Hi all,

After seeing some very positive reviews on the Maybachs, some great YouTube clips and some testimonials on here, I'm seriously considering getting one (Honeyburst).

They go for appx £1,400 here in the UK and there's even a store here that'll do 18mth 0% credit. Seriously tempting!

For that chunk of change though I could get me a very nice vintage MIJ single cut (I'm thinking maybe a Tokai LS80 and up).

Not sure which way to go.

Anyone own both (not neccessarily a Tokai btw...any higher end vintage MIJ) who could advise on the better option?

Cheers,

Dave

2. solderjunkie

solderjunkie Senior Member

Not familiar with Maybach but there's nothing like old wood. Guitars Japan UK is in your neck of the woods. Mark has some very nice guitars. A vintage Tokai LS80 or 100 round about your price range...

page 6 Tokai

1 person likes this.
  3. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

Hey Solderjunkie, thanks for your thoughts. Yeah, seen Mark/Villager's very nice selection of Tokai's and I just know any one of those would be a solid purchase. I get the old wood argument but really curious if it's going to make that much difference.

I've not played a higher end MIJ nor a Maybach so I can't directly compare.

The Maybach's look, sound and by all accounts feel and play great.

I know a large part of this is subjectivity anyway. A new guitar may suit my tastes better than something vintage or vice versa. There may also be no difference and this is my quandary.

I'm really just interested if anyone here has made that comparison and what their thoughts are. I know their experience may not match mine but it might give me a steer either way.

If the answer is always vintage MIJ then that's cool, I can be patient and wait for the right one for me (think Greeny's honeyburst). Am starting to look at rinkya etc so not opposed to shipping one in directly from Japan.

If the answer may well be a Maybach then I could pull the trigger tomorrow......that instant gratification itch is pretty intense but as I say, I can be patient.......just don't wanna be!!!!

4. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Senior Member

The Old Sunburst LS80 looks good :)

5. Lumi71

Lumi71 Senior Member

i had and have many old and new mij lps..... as well as teles, strats...
    my experience is - it depends on the guitar. found no general rule that the old ones are better soundwise...of course you get some extra "mojo" with them

2 people like this.
  6. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

Let's face it, they're all good!:naughty:

1 person likes this.
  7. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

Hey Stefan, yeah thought as much. On my phone at the moment so can't post links to the Maybachs; I will do later though as they've done a great job with a light relic on them. Seriously nice checking etc on them.

Don't mean a thing though if they sound/play terribly.....thing is, they sound good to me!

Really need one in my hands to see if it feels right to me too......same goes for a higher end MIJ I guess!

May just have to melt a couple of credit cards so I can play them for a while....can always flip the one(s) that don't gel with me.

I feel a spending spree coming on!

8. solderjunkie

solderjunkie Senior Member

That one caught my eye too.

1 person likes this.
  9. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

Review of the cherry burst Maybach:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArTTP0jjJsU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArTTP0jjJsU[/ame]

A shoot out between the Maybach and some fiddles by some other fly by night company:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxkK92lKE2s[/ame]

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=maybach+lester

The honeymonster!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. lester square

lester square Senior Member

I own a Maybach Lester GT and it is great. I own a 2014 Momose MLS 1 Nj and it's even better (now that it's got two of the very last Scatterbrane pus in it). The Maybachs come stock with excellent Amber PAF type pus. Compared to my old Burny FLG 90 and 1982 Greco RR65 I would say the Maybach is (at least) on the same level. I do not believe that the old wood argument is the only criterium for a good/better guitar. It is the combination of quite a few things in construction,, materials and craftmanship, and your personal taste and expectations, of course. I would try to get a Maybach of maybe two years ago used, ie. one of the first run, they go used (if you can find them) for maybe 1200 Euros which is a bargain.

1 person likes this.
  11. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

Excellent, thank you Lester. I'd never heard of them until recently!

Do you think the first ones were better or is it just a case of nearly new's a better deal?

Cheers,

Dave

1 person likes this.
  12. jesone

jesone Member

2 people like this.
  13. lester square

I have heard they were even better but cannot tell from personal experience. One of my favourite German retailers used to carry them, until recently. Dealer said that Maybach did not send him guitars with good bookmatched flame tops anymore and reacted unfriendly towards criticism. That is as it maybe, a friend of mine just bought one of these, it is his first Les, and he's really content. I played it and I agree, and that was a brandnew one. So ... I guess they are only a few LP models out there at that price point that can provide the same build and sound quality new. G+++ definitely not being one of them. The advantage over some of the better Japanese modern replicas (Momose, Crews) is that you can actually test drive them in a store in your vicinity. Let us be happy that these opportunities still exist in Europe. - Btw, it was about time to change my avatar to the lovely Momose ...

14. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Real-Guitars ?

15. lester square

Yep. Strange case, though, I mean Maybach should know that people buying at RG are spoiled and would expect the proper flame top. RG right now does not have a mid-price LP model which I think is a loss. Could also be that Maybach are struggling to be able to keep up the 100% quality now that orders are rushing in from all sides.

16. korus

korus Senior Member

What's next - Norlin model Maybach? Someone bought out the brand already and will make some lower range models in China under the brand name Opel? And will use brand name Porshe later on for Custom Shop models ?

As soon as really huge profit kicks in, good stuff (cost/performance ratio) simply dies of natural causes. We've been down this road before with the original design/original manufacturer.

17. lester square

What exactly are you suggesting?

1 person likes this.
  18. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

Well, I ordered the honeyburst Maybach (the exact one pictured above) and she arrives tomorrow so I'll update on how good (or bad) she is. I strongly suspect it will be the former!

Some more of the sellers pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. lester square

This is one of the finer examples with a very nice colour and flame - be prepared that she sounds as good as she looks:) If I may add, looking at the LP models you already own, I am convinced this will be the best so far.

1 person likes this.
  20. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

And you're not wrong! The Maybach plays exceptionally well and sounds just as good. As it's a '59 copy, the neck is beefier than my Burny's but it actually feels easier to play. My first other single cut in nitro and it feels so much nicer to the touch than the Burny's (which are great guitars and hold their own). All things considered, I'd say the Maybach is a far superior guitar to the Burny's so very happy with it for playability and tone.

Perfectly set up out the box by Richards Guitars, this is a really, really nice guitar to play. Very smooth feel to it and effortless to play. The neck pup is the most responsive I've played, not muddy in the slightest and very usable. The bridge is quite spiky, not harsh but quite hot and treble. I find myself using the bridge tone control alot but it doesn't lose any clarity when you roll the tone back.

Pups clean up nicely with the volume too so lots of tonal options with this beauty.

She's pretty light too at 6.5lbs.

Maybach have done a very nice relic job on this. Not usually a fan of artificial aging but they've done some very nice checking on this (pics to follow) and not too many scratches and dings. Once the binding etc ages a bit more naturally this will really look the part.

I'm hoping the top will fade in time too as it's actually darker than I was expecting/wanting. Still, a lovely colour though and overall a beautiful guitar that has met my expectations for playability and tone.

Still curious about the higher end vintage MIJ's though so will have to satisfy that curiosity one day.....