Vintage Herco picks - WHAT A ROYAL PAIN IN THE A$$$$$

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by morbidalex666, Apr 2, 2015.

1. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

Although I like the reissues, they are still too thin for me, and not as pointed.

So I use these:

[​IMG]

2. colchar

colchar Banned

Well that's marketing for you. I work in PR/Communications so I totally get what they were trying to do because I see it all the time.

When I say harder I mean in comparison to the George Dennis Standard picks.

Where are you located?

3. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

I'm a classical player, I grow my picks.

4. morbidalex666

morbidalex666 Senior Member

Greece... yeah I know - I'm a bit far away...

5. X–Ray

X–Ray Cowbell by Misadventure

Hmm...

Sorry to hear tough going with your vintage Herco pick

Been using them since the early '70s and yet to wear one out: lose, yes – wear out, no... (but then I'm a super light picker)

Waiting on an order of the Vintage '66s to make a comparison

I'm up to about 20 of them by now

Below are a few links about my experience with them

IMO, there a'int nothing like the real deal for those of us so inclined – good luck :thumb:

[​IMG]

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/3180510-post46.html

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/6496508-post41.html

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/4739981-post58.html

5F6-A and DADGAD like this.
  6. colchar

colchar Banned

I was going to offer to send you one or two of the George Dennis Super picks since I won't use them and I figured they might be tough to find where you are. But since you are in Greece they should be easy enough to find as they are actually a Czech product.

7. colchar

colchar Banned

I still have the old, original logo Herco that you sent me a couple of years back. Now that the friend of mine out in Victoria has grabbed me some of the George Dennis Standard ones I had been looking for I should be alright for picks for a good while (I rarely lose them so a dozen of each gauge, plus the couple of each that I already have here, should last me).

I might search out one of the new Herco picks just out of curiosity though...and I am looking forward to hearing what you think of them, especially in comparison to the originals.

8. morbidalex666

Progress report:

Snarling Dog Brains 1.00mm Nylon
    The closest so far - a bit more flexible than the old one, soundwise a wee bit less trebly

Catfish 1.00mm Nylon
    Harder than the old one with more of the feel and sound of an acrylic pick

Still waiting for the Planet Waves...

9. Quill

Quill Senior Member

What is it about the old Herco picks that you guys like? How do they work with the strings, do they suit a certain gauge, how do you strike the string, kind of flat or more on the edge ...

I'm just curious - the picks that work for me are quite a bit thicker, but I'm interested in what the Hercos do for you all the same. There was a little black pick that I bought in maybe '85 or so for the outrageous price of four dollars, but I can't count the thousands of hours I got out of that one pick, practiced and gigged for years before I lost it ... thankfully I'd scrimped and saved and got a couple more, just in case. Hard times, back then. Anyway, the picks disappeared off the shelves, and were gone for years ... and then Dunlop started making a pick that was the same colour and shape and thickness. Very excited! BUT they didn't sound nearly the same, and they wore out quickly. Very disappointed.

If nothing else, I understand the dilemma.

5F6-A likes this.
  10. X–Ray

X–Ray Cowbell by Misadventure

Just substitute "pre-Dunlop Herco pick" for "little black pick" and you've answered your question as to why they are so desirable to some of us

:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  11. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Senior Member

I have a gross of smooth picks from Korea. I have nylon and the raised print grabs the strings and bugs me. I like the small red jazz picks. My fingers work the best.

12. winexprt

winexprt Senior Member

Postman just dropped of a 6 pack of the Herco Vintage '66 Extra Light picks.

First impressions compared to my favorite Flex 75 is it's noticeably more bendy/flexible.

Spec-wise these extra-light Vintage '66 picks are listed as .74mm where my trusty Flex 75's are .75mm. I actually find the new Vintage to be a bit more grippy so I'm liking them already.

I've never had the pleasure of having used an original Herco Flex from the '70's so I have no idea how the new Vintage '66 series compares.

I'm at work so I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to try these on my R8.

I also ordered the Planet Waves Nyflex picks in medium (.75mm) which should be here via UPS soon.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/DAddario-Planet-Classic-25-Pack-1NFX4-25/dp/B00I5RHTZY"]http://www.amazon.com/DAddario-Planet-Classic-25-Pack-1NFX4-25/dp/B00I5RHTZY[/ame]

2 people like this.
  13. morbidalex666

Dude, the modern Herco Flex 75 is NOT .75mm.
    They're 1.00mm just to confuse people.

14. NYC LP player

NYC LP player Premium Member

Tried the Snarling Dog .88 and 1.0 based on this thread and was dissapointed. Got them through amazon but they feel unfinish in that the edge is sharp but in a way that feels like they were stamp cut and tossed in the box. After sanding off the unfinished material it improved. Harder, shinier, and less flexible that the Herco repro silvers. I may try dulling the finish as it almost doesnt feel like nylon anymore but not quite delrin.

[​IMG]

15. winexprt

winexprt Senior Member

Thanks. I was suspecting that. Everywhere lists them as .75mm

16. morbidalex666

I got my vintage pick NOS, not used at all.
    It had this same annoying sharp edge all around it.
    It wore off after a few hour of playing and it got quite comfortable.

Harder, shinier, and less flexible than the repro Hercos and every type of nylon Dunlop uses is something to be looking for, if you're looking for the feel/sound of the old ones.
    You can read all about it in the OP. :cheers:

1 person likes this.
  17. colchar

colchar Banned

I would have thought that the extra light would be really thin (50-60), that the light would be medium (60-75), and the heavy would be thicker (75+).

18. winexprt

winexprt Senior Member

Exactly what I was thinking too. I was actually not going to order the extra light because of that. Was pleasantly surprised when looking for specs on it that is was .75mm, which is what I was under the impression was the same thickness as my Dunlop Herco Flex 75. :hmm:

Anyway, I'm really diggin' the reissue Vintage '66 Herco x-tra light. I like the extra flexibility.

1 person likes this.
  19. colchar

colchar Banned

So those George Dennis picks that my friend across country grabbed for me arrived today and I swear they are using different material as I am convinced they don't feel the same as the older ones that I have do.

20. morbidalex666

Ohh GREAT!

Another material changing company....

So the Planet Waves arrived yesterday, but I didn't have time to play at all.
    I'll keep those here who care posted...