Vintage Herco picks - WHAT A ROYAL PAIN IN THE A$$$$$

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by morbidalex666, Apr 2, 2015.

1. morbidalex666

morbidalex666 Senior Member

It is widely known that several rock gods (Page, Gallagher...) used to use the silver herco nylon picks. Trying to recreate those vintage tones I gravitated to using nylon picks.

I couldn't find any originals and for years I've been playing with the 1.00mm Dunlop nylon picks whenever I want to get in the "vintage hard rock mode".

Some time ago, 1 NOS one popped up on ebay and I grabbed it. It is the very light grey - almost white version.

Now I wish I never had.

The old one is harder than the new silver hercos and the 1mm dunlops and has slightly different edges. It also seems to wear down faster than other nylons.
    I'd describe the sound as one somewhere between a nylon and a celluloid pick - which I prefer.

Has anyone found a suitable substitude for the old pick I'm describing?
    A pick than comes freakishly close (sorry but this subforum is called "tonefreaks' anyway) when in direct comparison would also do!! LOL

I have Snarling Dog, Planet Waves and Catfish 1.00mm nylon picks on the way already...

2. NYC LP player

NYC LP player Premium Member

I take the grey ones and sand off a bit of this shine as all that smoothness dulls the sound. They just came out with another reproduction but I'm sure it's just the same material in a different mold.

1 person likes this.
  3. morbidalex666

Thanks for the reply!

Actually the new "vintage 66" feel even softer somehow.
    The look os the material is identical - IDK what makes them feel that way.

The grey ones? You mean the .88mm nylons?

4. NYC LP player

Sorry I meant silver

5. morbidalex666

Ohh come on all you Jimmy Page worshipers!

Spill it!!!

6. morbidalex666

Picture time!
    From left to right:
    vintage, new, "vintage 66"

Attached Files:

7. NYC LP player

you know I instantly went on ebay and looked for vintage ones because of you....I accidentally bought a herco mandolin pick

I find the dunlop nylon 1.0 and herco silver .75 are very different....you would think plastic is plastic but it is not

8. morbidalex666

Plastic is plastic...... nope! :laugh2:

The royal pain that is written on the thread's title is refered to the way vintage materials practically unobtainable today that were quite ordinary in the past, feel, sound, smell and look better to us freaks! And we can get our hands on them!!! For these picks specifically, Page is buying all of them and the only solution is a substitude.

The modern herco silver is actually 1mm - just its name is flex 75.
    Confusing :cool:

9. colchar

colchar Banned

Edited...I read the rest of the thread and realized that you are aware that Dunlop has released a new replica version.

I can't find them up here but would love to see how they feel in comparison to the originals (I have one). Then again, I love the George Dennis Standard picks and am highly unlikely to change so I only want a new Herco out of curiosity.

1 person likes this.
  10. morbidalex666

Thanks for the input.

Replica? Not by a long shot!
    IDK if the vintage grey ones are this soft, but the light grey one pictured is of a much harder material than any nylon Dunlop uses.

I can't find these George Dennis picks locally. If they are worth it though, I'd try and find them from somewhere.
    How do they compare to the old pick you have?
    Have you also tried their super picks?
    Is your old pick like mine?

11. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Snarling Dog Brain picks are my favourite, red and black for electric; purple for acoustic.

1 person likes this.
  12. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

I love the new Hercos. Definitely lots of great players (Keith Urban, Don Felder, Jimmy Page, etc). I don't notice any loss of high end but then I'm a bright tone guy anyway.

I've never tried an old one.

13. colchar

colchar Banned

Since Herco was a separate company perhaps with these Herco '66 picks they are trying to replicate exactly what Herco put out. In other words, the plastic used for them wouldn't correspond to any Dunlop product because, back then, they weren't a Dunlop product.

The George Dennis picks are nothing like the Hercos. I once grabbed a couple from a store in a town I used to live in and like them better than any other pick - by a wide margin. They are extremely hard to find in my area and their Canadian distributor recently went belly up which will, obviously, make them even more difficult to find. I did find a store on the other side of the country that had a couple of dozen in stock and, luckily for me, an old friend lives in that city and was nice enough to drop by that store and grab me a dozen of each gauge that I use (.60 for acoustic and .73 for electric). She hasn't sent them to me yet but that is no big deal as I have a couple of them here already...just knowing that she has them in her possession is enough for me. She doesn't play guitar, but is an accomplished bagpiper (she has competed all over the world), so she didn't think I was screwed in the head, she totally understood me wanting a specific kind of pick because she will only use certain reeds in her pipes.

After the George Dennis picks the Dunlop Midi picks (link below) are my second favourite. Again, they are nothing like Herco picks but I grabbed some of the Midi picks when I first started playing a few years ago and, for whatever reason, have always been partial to them.

Dunlop Manufacturing :: Guitar Picks :: :: Midi Standard

I might go through phases during which I will try other picks but I always come back to the two mentioned above so I finally smartened up and stopped bothering with other picks.

Yes, but I don't like them. The plastic seems harder and sharper to me and I don't like them at all.

A couple of weeks back I contacted a store in Toronto that said they had the George Dennis Standard picks in stock (this was before I discovered the store out in Victoria had them). I hate driving into Toronto but I did so and fought through a lot of crappy traffic to get to the store. When I got there it turned out that they didn't have the Standards in stock, they had the Super picks. Just so that my trip wasn't a total waste I grabbed a couple to try them out but, as I said, I don't like them so they lasted an hour and then got thrown onto the pile of picks that I have here.

I believe so, but it is in the basement and I am upstairs cooking a late dinner so I am too lazy to go down to check it out right now :laugh2:

14. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Eliminate the pick...that's why you have fingers!

2 people like this.
  15. colchar

colchar Banned

I wish I could.

1 person likes this.
  16. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

Is this the distributor?

PICKS - Kief Music

17. colchar

colchar Banned

In Canada yes. Their website is still working but they went **** up a couple of months ago. Maybe their amp distributor will pick up their other gear. That amp distributor is apparently also their US distributor for anyone in the US who might be interested in trying their picks:

U.S.A:
    European Musical Imports, Inc., P.O. Box 68, Hillsdale, NJ 07642
    Phone: (201) 594-0817
    E-mail: info@europeanmusical.com

18. morbidalex666

They are not trying enough I guess. The plastic is different but it's not harder than the other nylons they use, in order to try and get the feel of the originals. What is most annoying though is their marketing BS.

"Digging deep into our vault, we carefully analyzed our collection of original Herco molds and picks from the 1960s. This enabled us to create the Vintage ’66 Series to such exacting specification that even our pick experts were at a loss to tell them apart from the originals. "

I'm no "pick expert" and I can tell that neither the shape or material is replicated to exact specs - or close specs for that matter.
    It's like they want people to believe what they just because they say it.

The Snarling Dog Brain finally arrived and I must say that they are closer than any Dunlop/Herco offering.

What you say about George Dennis supers being harder intrigues me...
    Anyone else has any experience with 'em?

19. morbidalex666

I do that whenever I feel like it.
    Certain stuff I can not do with fingers.
    PLUS - this is not the point of this thread.

20. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

The old 70's Herco flex 75's are a different nylon formula than the modern reissues. They feel different and "flex" differently when they warm up. I use the modern ones for convenience but use the vintage one from time to time.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

When it comes to picks, I'm not "picky". so the Dunlop reissues work done for me.