Vintage Bees and 50's Wiring Tone Test/Comparison

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by VastHorizon, Apr 8, 2010.

1. VastHorizon

VastHorizon Senior Member

:thumb:

2. Drewski

Drewski Junior Member

I just made the switch from Orange Drops to Jonesys bees. .012 in the neck and .017 in the bridge. I really liked the way both of them sounded. The OD's were super in your face with a sort of brashness without being to harsh. If I played more moderny type rock n roll Id use those. I'm leaving the bees in however because in my semihollow they're really sweet and creamy. I can break em up with pick attack and clean them up with a pick angle change. They're SUPER responsive. I play California country, alt rock, to bluesy rock and the bees go from a mild twang in the bridge, to a beautiful dirty jazz in the middle, and all the rock and blues I need in the neck. Totally usable guitar now. No wasted positions on any switch or pot.

3. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

great news... bees are fantastic

4. 335blues

335blues Senior Member

I hear a fuller, richer tone, more mids, less tinney.

5. guitarcase

guitarcase Senior Member

I have a 15 nk and 22 br pio cap from jonesy I 'm putting in place of ceramic 22s. I have stock wiring and 300 v and 500 tone pots. What would be the difference to tone if I changed to 50's wiring, (using new caps)and would these pots be ok?

6. gtr-tek

gtr-tek Fumble Fingers

Yes, those pots should be fine. Your tone will open up and be less muddy, especially when turning down the tone pot. Try it and experience the difference! :cool:

7. lloydloar

lloydloar Member

FYI-

I've got an '09 Les Paul Historic R0, with BB1/BB2, which came stock with the 50's wiring. Today I put Jonesy's Bumble Bee caps in it (I didn't change pots or anything else) and I was blown away at the difference in tone. I was instantly able to get the tone I'd been trying to achieve. It was such an amazingly simple mod to make, and it made a world of difference. The burstbuckers sound completely different after the modification. This is a change I would highly recommend!

8. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

Good chatting with you on the phone today, and glad those Bees worked out good for you in that LP :thumb:

9. guitarcase

guitarcase Senior Member

How do the Hyrels compare with the bees ?

10. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

The HRYEL's are Mil Spec Vitamin Q's, great warm sounding caps with plenty of sparkle but maybe not quite as Woody as the Bees...YMMV

11. Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x Senior Member

Is there a description of how the 50s wiring differs? Are there any disadvantages to wiring the guitar this way?

I wish I had read this thread before ordering my new pickups!!

Where is the best place to order the bees from?

12. Raz59

Raz59 Senior Member

Just a simple search on these forums will get you much user feedback. Modern wiring loses treble at low volumes. 50's wiring fixes this.

Disadvantages? Modern wiring has consistent controls... by wiring it 50's style, the volume pot's taper is altered when the tone pots are at a value different than 10.
    In short, modern wiring loses treble when playing with the volume control and 50's wiring can lead to volume losses when playing with the tone control.
    If you want the best of both worlds...search here.

The soundclips in the OP, above everything else, prove that those little ceramic caps are not suited for electric guitars, unless you like a harsh high end response.

13. Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x Senior Member

Yeah I did more searching shortly after posting that and discovered the perceived cons. Sounds like what I want actually. I never turn down the tone or volume on my LP cause it just seems to make it muddy.

Since I am used to playing 10 all the time, the caps sound like the biggest improvement for me and the 50s wiring for later on. Just have to figure out who is best to buy from that ships to Australia.

14. Raz59

Raz59 Senior Member

50's wiring will fix that muddiness when rolling off the volume, that's for sure. But, like many others who have tried it, once you try the new wiring scheme, you'll be tempted to play with both volume and tone controls.

And you're used to playing with everything on 10? Ah my friend...that's a problem! You should give this thread a good read as well...the '10' position on your knobs should be used as your "gain boost" and "treble boost" sounds.

As for the best buys in Australia, you can shoot a message to forum members PINKBITS or Mookakian and ask for advice...they're two aussies like yourself and seem like good people.

Hope it helps. :thumb:

15. onehippie

onehippie Senior Member

"Pickups are coils, and coils interact with capacitors in interesting ways to cause resonances at certain frequencies."

"In "modern" wiring, the relationship of the cap and the coil stays constant, so as you adjust the volume pot the resonant frequency won't change. BUT with "50's" wiring, the introduction of resistance between the coil and the capacitor when you adjust the volume pot will change the resonant frequency."

coils--(pot)ential divider--first order filter--ground 50s
    coils--first order filter--ground modern

16. derek1977

derek1977 Senior Member

Bees sound more tight and cotrollable. Cheers for bees

17. mr.richards

mr.richards Junior Member

thanks for doing the samples, as it was really kool for me hear the difference. it reminded me of when i did my first cap and pot upgrade in my 2004 standard wineburst, like yours i used the fake bees, (russsian) pio, gone was that harsh top end that just gave me shivers, i had made my first step towards smoother tone. i couldnt a b it but i knew the difference was huge!! thanks again

18. mr.richards

mr.richards Junior Member

sorry i meant to say unlike you, i had used the fake bees,

19. moodyedge

moodyedge Senior Member

quite a difference between the two recordings to my ears.......not sure which is best though :hmm:...the second one sounds like theres another guitar playing at the same time for some reason..

I got a new pickup fitted in a 97 standard at the same time as the wiring mod.........all I know is it sounds better than it did with the stock gibson bridge pickup but I cant identify why due to changing caps, wiring and the pickup at the same time.

20. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

The Stock sounds more brighter and clearer to me.