Vintage 1981 Tokai ES-100 ES-335 Lawsuit Guitar NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Discussion in 'Member Classifieds' started by '59Fatburst, Sep 19, 2017.

1. '59Fatburst

'59Fatburst Senior Member

NO LONGER AVAILABLE....

Here's a killer vintage 1981 Tokai ES-100 Lawsuit guitar. This is a near perfect copy of a 1959 Gibson ES-335. It has the correctly shaped Mickey Mouse ears, the pronounced bulges on the upper cutaways, an accurate looking cherry red color and the open book style headstock. The neck profile is a chunky "U" shape, very similar to Gibson's 1959 neck shape. The rosewood is so incredibly dark and rich that is almost appears to be ebony. The frets have been recently replaced by Brian Mascarin, who's an authorized C.F. Martin luthier. There are the associated small dings, scratches, bumps and yellowed binding that are to be expected on a guitar of this age. The cherry stain on the back of the neck has faded to a brown color, very much like an old Gibson SG. In my opinion, it only adds to the guitar's killer vintage vibe. I believe these guitars are finished in nitrocellulose lacquer. There is no pickguard included with this guitar. The guitar plays well with low action, the pots are smooth in operation and not scratchy. The 3 ways selector switch is a little sticky and sometimes to takes a couple of throws to engage. It's been cleaned recently. I'm not sure if this is the "Jazz" or "Rock" model ES-100 as the tag inside the body is missing. Like any good ES guitar, it's full and throaty sounding. I believe the pickups to be slightly under wound. The bridge pickup is snappy with nice bite while the neck pickup is nice and smooth. It has great resonance, the kind where you can feel the air puffing out of the F-holes. The guitar weighs a reasonable 8.1 lbs. The guitar will include a black hard shell case. It works fine but isn't real pretty. This is as good as any 335 that I've owned (and I've had a ton!) only it's half the price.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    wulfman, Alligatorbling and DADF#AD like this.
  2. '59Fatburst

3. '59Fatburst