Vineham Whiskey Sour -Incoming

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by northernguitarguy, Dec 4, 2017.

1. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Good day, I just ordered one of these from Craig. Stoked about popping it into my new Yamaha Revstar RS320! Anybody try one??

jdto, 1all's Pub and Guitar Rod like this.
  2. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Cool! This is one I have been interested in. Keep us posted!!!!

northernguitarguy likes this.
  3. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

Good day. And welcome to day 6.

I actually purchased Craig's first prototype of this pickup and got it at the same time as the 6070's set back in April. You actually pointed me in that direction. Thanks for that.

Just recently the Sours got jury rigged into an LPC with the PCB and molex plugs.

I haven't spent very much time playing lately, let alone with this set but what I have noticed is that this set seems a little more aggressive than 6070's.

I'm still not much up on tonz speak but I think I would grab this LP over the 6070's for Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. The pickup name, Whisky Sour, to me implied a Skynard or 38 Special tone, but I think I would still go to the 6070's for that. Cleans are impressive too.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

4. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Right on, Jym. I could have gone for the sure thing with a 6070. I have enjoyed playing on that pup more than any other. However, I wanted to try another of Craig’s winds, and this one seems a better match to the Alnico V pup I have planned for the neck. The Yammy plays nice with the stock ceramic pups and they seem to be high output. I think the Whiskey Sour will prove to be a great RAWK pup, perfect for my needs.

jdto and Jymbopalyse like this.
  5. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

The few times I did play the Sours,
    I think you will really like them. You actually get out there and play live at party volume. These pickups need a little headroom to shine.

I wasn't very impressed the first time I tried them out at bedroom volume on a 3.5 inch speaker.
    The next day I went out on the back deck and I plugged them in to the MarkV.

WOW

I just kept wanting to turn it louder and louder.

Awesome RAWK pickups IMHO. Expect to want to put in a few extra hours of playing. :jam:

northernguitarguy and jdto like this.
  6. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

Nice! I look forward to hearing your report.