[Vincent's Quick Looks] Some thoughts on the Carvin V3 212 combo.

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Vinz893, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Vinz893

Vinz893 Senior Member

I had a chance to check out the V3 combo today, and gotta say, I'm very impressed.

The amp is a 100W all tube design, switchable to 50W, with 3 channels and a lot of crazy switches. The first important thing to mention is the three channels: 2 dirty and 1 clean. The 2 dirty channels are exactly the same, which is awesome because you can have two completely different tones PLUS the clean. This is great for switching between rhythm and solo tones, and it works surprisingly well.
    The dirty channels have and EQ switch, which enables to you choose between a regular and extended EQ, and Thick/Intense switch. This little bastard is what makes this amp stand out. It's kind of like the Brilliance switch on an AC30. When set to thick the tone is rich and crunchy, with a lot of low-end, perfect for hard rock and metal rhythmic play. Then when you flip the switch into the Intense position things get... well, intense. It's a very high gain, very distorted tone - great for solos and speed metal, for the lack of a better term.

The clean channel also has a switch, which changes the EQ. It's almost exactly a "Brilliance" switch. Awesome, if you ask me.

The thing that makes this amp shine is definitely the Thick/Intense switch, but it gets even better when you have two separate dirty channels. One can be set to thick, the other one to intense, giving you a variety of tonal options. I was really surprised how versatile the amp is. I expected it to be mediocre, and I was really delighted to hear that it's so much better. The tonal range of the amp is enough to satisfy all your rocker needs.

There are two things I didn't like about the V3 though. First, it's ugly. would definitely benefit from a grill, or at least something better than fake black leather. The second thing is that even though its vast array of tones is more than other amps in the price range offer, there is nothing signature about the sound. We've heard this tone a hundred times already. It doesn't have that special something, that would make you think "oh yeah, it's a Carvin".

The tone of the amp may be a little derivative, and the box can be ugly as hell, but overall the V3 is a very good amplifier. It's the clear winner in Carvin vs. Orange Rockerverb, mainly because you can pretty much make the V3 sound like the Rockerverb, and then more. I will be using this amp both live and in the studio, so stay tuned for more thoughts on the Carvin V3 212 Combo.

2. notoperational

notoperational MLP Sponsor

To each his own... But, I think there is honestly a lot more to be said in that comparison than simply, it's 'better because it can do what the Rockerverb does and more.' Mostly because I don't think ANY amp besides an Orange can sound like an Orange. All of the Orange heads have a really special mid-range that I don't think can be replicated. Imitated? Maybe, but of all the amps I have had the privilege of playing and owning my Rocker 30 and two Rockerverb 50 heads that I have previously owned really had their own personalities. The first Rockerverb 50 that I owned also seen MANY shows (probably around 40-50 in a six month span) and never, ever had problems. Sounded great every night, while getting hauled around without a road case.

I would also like to hear your thoughts on the quality (and by that I mean the general build and construction, as well as the actual amp itself) of the Carvin vs. the Rockerverb... Again, I don't want to bash the Carvin, but I doubt the over-all build quality is comparable. Not trying to bash your amp, but I'm curious to hear what made you make that decision. To me, the Rockerverb is a mighty amp and probably my favorite channel switcher.

3. Vinz893

Vinz893 Senior Member

Orange amps are known for their durability, and I doubt the Carvin will be les die hard than a rockerverb, howeber only time can tell. The overall build quality is nothing out of the ordinary at first glance. Seems pretty much like it could break just as easily as any other.

I chose this amp not because I think the tone is better than that of a rockerverb, I chose it because the tone is good enough, PLUS the variety of features it offers. The ability have two overdriven channels straight from the amp is a big selling point for me, as well as the possiblity of boosting gain in two ways (boost knob and intense switch). Orange has its signature tone, however, it's not what I was looking for. For my current project Carvin is a better choice.

4. notoperational

notoperational MLP Sponsor

Right on. I certainly can't shake a stick at getting the right tool for the job. And with the nature of the Orange, I can see why you would of made that decision.