Video: How a DPDT Push Pull Pot Works

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by jonesy, Jun 1, 2010.

1. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

I had a request by one of our Australian MLPF members to make this video explaining how a DPDT push pull pot operates so here it is.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c74lBQRgXAc]YouTube - How A Push Pull Pot Works.m4v[/ame]

This diagram may also be helpful in explaining how these push pull pots are used to split coils on a Humbucker.

[​IMG]

2. jonesy

Here is another diagram showing coil split for one Humbucker and the "Out of Phase" mod between two pu's.

[​IMG]

3. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

:applause: Awsome :cool2:

4. jonesy

Glad you liked it bro, hope that helps clear up a few questions you had about those push pulls ;)

5. phlz_8

phlz_8 Senior Member

Good info there jonesy. Nice job on putting up these videos.

6. jonesy

Thanks Phlz ;)

7. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Senior Member

Class act as always.

8. zap2012

zap2012 Senior Member

Thanks so much for the video. I'm wondering, though--is anyone else having an issue with the audio and video not synching?

9. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Yep ^

Sound seems a little faster, the mojo is playin 1/2 a beat to fast in this one jonsey, i see how the push pull works, but still a little confused about the wiring for them.

In reference to the SD SLUG coil splitting diagram, would i be right in saying:

the red and white wires are a positive current,
    the black, green and braided wires are a negative current,
    when you pull the pot up, you disconnect the earth(green/braided) for the adjustable coil(neck side),
    leaving the earth for the slug coil (black wire) connected with the positive red/white wires and the SLUG coil working?

10. jonesy

Yes I think the video is slightly behind the audio, it was not thas way on the original recording but may be due to the video card on my computer. My sony cam is older and it takes the mini tapes so I have to use software to capture. This video editing is all a bit new to me and I am still going through the learning curve.

As far the individual pickup wires go yes they come from the 2 separate coils in the humbucker like you have stated. The red and white wires are what's called the "Series" link. That is where the two coils get joined together. On Seymour Duncans the black wire is hot + and the green wire is ground - normally the red and white get soldered together and then taped off, but they are also the ones you use if you want to split coils. (or change for parallel wiring within the humbucker)

This diagram may help you see things more clearly. As you see the color codes vary from brand to brand, and it can get confusing at times working with different makes of pickups as they are not all the same.

[​IMG]

11. Indyclone

Indyclone Senior Member

[​IMG]

Hey Jonesy, is the coil split in the above diagram for the slug coil? If so, how could this be switched over so that when you pull for the split the screw coil is active instead?

12. jonesy

Yeah the slug coil (inner) is on and the screw side (outer) goes off on a Seymour Duncan HB when the red & white (series link) is shunted to ground. The earlier diagram I posted shoes how to wire it if you want to have the screw side coil (outer) on when you do the coil tap mod.

[​IMG]

13. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Sweet thanks jonsey, went offline for a few days, sorry. I have these semi buggered pots ill be pulling and having a little fun with. Ill try not to msg you in frustration of my sparky skills ;) Been testing phasing with 2 mics and room size/distance/angles, some interesting stuff! I just hope the same/similar rules apply with electronic phasing, prob less variation in frequency cancellation but yeah......

14. jonesy

No problem bro, your mojo is enroute' so it should be arriving any day now. Let me know how that all works out for you. ;)