Video/Audio recording Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by kakao, Jun 9, 2016.

1. kakao

kakao Senior Member

Guys, just wanted to make a descent video recording for youtube, but wanted to make sure it sounds good .. not like a mic in the middle of the room with the camera on.

My question is: how to playback on the already recorded audio material, with (somehow) the recording going straight to the camera, so the audio quality transfers to the video with 100% originality.

My audio material is on a CD.
    Are there any Apple apps for that purpose?
    Or maybe I need a more serious camera with an audio input, which can bee hooked with the CD player?

I found this guy that sounds about right
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHBuyrDA92A

How to achieve this, cheers!!!

:)

2. John Scrip

John Scrip Senior Member

If you want it to happen live, you're going to need to send the mix directly to the camera. If you're doing it in post, that's where the slate comes in handy...

[​IMG]

Long story short, you're going to have a mixer in there somewhere -- It's either going to go to *a* recorder or *the* recorder. If your camera has no other audio input (other than the built-in mic), you're going to have to do it in post.

3. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

That video is a polished, produced guitar sound in a mix. The mic would have been fairly close to the speaker. Add some reverb, delay etc....possibly pedals, but to me it sound like those effects were applied during the mix.

While the guy's tones are very nice, I think sometimes there is a little bit of a disconnect for some people watching something like this on youtube simply because it is so produced sounding.

When I see a video that has some room sound in it recorded with a camera mic or even a seperate mic that is pulled back from the speaker to include some room tone, it sounds more realistic to what the guy at home can achieve.

But as John said, if you are going to use a separate mic and camera you need to slate it. You don't necessarily need the fancy Hollywood style slate, just clapping your hands once very sharply will do the same thing.

4. Playyouraxeon11

Playyouraxeon11 Banned

Do the audio first. Get a decent camera and perform loads of times to your track in all the scenes you want. Play the track and perform to it, you'll feel like an idiot, doesn't matter. The slate or handclaps are to locate the takes afterwards. Then you need a bit of software on your computer to edit the footage to the track, picking the best bits. What FreddyG says is right, it's good if it "looks and sounds like that's what happened" and that's (I suppose) the skill of it. No, I've never done it, I got some advice and I had some people doing stuff in France years ago to put me on TV. It was most uncomfortable. And it was rotten too. It's going to be very hard to do this without an accomplice. And you will feel an idiot showboating with a guitar in the woods or smooching to the cam while slinking along a suitable brick wall while your friend shoots it and carries the boombox blasting out your track. Now we know what Kylie Minogue feels like. Actually, it's a case for the police at times, when someone reports you for suspicious behaviour.

Best of......................!!!

5. kakao

kakao Senior Member

Hi Guys, here is the OP.
    For all of you that wanted the same - as in my original post, the answer is Zoom Q8 video camera that has 2 XLR/TRS inputs with volume pot for each input.

Cheers