Video About How to Solder

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by 5F6-A, Dec 9, 2008.

1. LEFTY LES

LEFTY LES Banned

very informative man, great vid!!!

2. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

3. dubyatf

dubyatf Senior Member

Here's some more videos I found helpful last year when I did a couple Build Your Own Clone kits: Tangent Tutorials

For equipment and supplies, I really like Ramsey Electronics, if I have time to mail order. I've found that Radio Shack generally has poor selection when it comes to soldering tools and equipment - but they can get you out of a jam if you burn up an opamp or something.

Sears has a decent selection of pencil irons online but I'm not sure about in store availability. My local Micro Center has some great soldering stations (including production quality things) as well as all manner of small tools and gadgets for DIY electronic projects.

4. Geetarguy

Geetarguy Senior Member

Great thread!!!!!

5. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

6. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

glad you enjoyed Flick... again we should thank the guy who did it and put it up youtube

7. stadams

stadams Senior Member

I have to second this one and the original video. There is some other good stuff on Warren's website. I especially liked the Eagle tutorials. It made the transition from Protel at work to Eagle at the house easy. I even designed a few boards using it.

Anyway, if you have the chance, check out the electronics and audio sections of his website. It's a good read and watch.

8. Dragonsarc

Dragonsarc Member

Dang awesome vid looks so easy but knowing my self Ill probably screw up, maybe a little bit of practice, quick "?" where do u get the flux?

9. Zoshquin

Zoshquin Senior Member

you buy it? :rolleyes:

10. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

flux is crucial... it makes all my soldering shiny as a clean mirror

11. Dragonsarc

Dragonsarc Member

is it like a wire? or gel?

12. dubyatf

dubyatf Senior Member

I've only ever dealt with flux by itself for plumbing. It's a paste in that case. AFAIK, the 'rosin' in rosin core solder is flux so it's built in to the solder you buy. It's applied by the act of soldering itself. Hope this makes sense. I'm a software guy by trade - and an amateur hardware guy and plumber! :laugh2:

13. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

this is waht use... marvellous stuff that makes shiny and perfer solder joints... highly recommended.
    [​IMG]

14. Loko

Loko Senior Member

Here is another video that I found pretty helpful. If you think it is good enough you may want to have BB toss it in with the first post (or if you can) so people will be more likely to see it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIDydYIVTqU]YouTube - How to Solder[/ame]

15. dubyatf

dubyatf Senior Member

That's a great video too. :thumb:

16. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

cheers!!

17. sidepartings26

sidepartings26 Senior Member

How do you apply this?

I'm guessing you brush it on before soldering. Is there a timing issue or is 10 seconds before ok? Also is it just a thin layer you put on?

I've got 60/40 rosin core solder at the mo. I was thinking of getting the same with flux 2% in the mix.

Or seperate flux maybe in the form of a flux pen - but I'm not sure what to get...

Any opinions between solder with built in flux or seperate flux and if so what kind?

18. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

just apply a thin layer over the pot and solder onto it. It'll boil straight away making perfect conditios for the solder to make a great joint.

19. sidepartings26

sidepartings26 Senior Member

Ok I have a flux pen now. So just put a little flux onto the area to be soldered to and then seconds later solder?.... or is there not really a timing issue i.e. you don't need to be really quick after applying the flux?

My other question when soldering to a lug is do you solder the wire onto the edge of the eyelet or do you stick it through the middle and then solder so that a bond sort of 'fills in' between the wire and the eyelet?

20. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

the flux will boil right after you touch it with the pen. That's the time to apply the solder.