Ventura Guitars-Les Paul-MIJ-Anybody got one?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by ripper70, Feb 18, 2009.

1. ripper70

ripper70 Senior Member

Hello All,

I'm curious about the Ventura Les Paul guitars. Made in Japan back in the 60's and 70's they're of the 'lawsuit' era and made in the Matsumoku factories. I can't find very much about these guitars but have heard some people rave about their construction and playability.

Anybody out there have any first hand experience with these instruments? Wish I could know more about them.

I did find this link to a catalogue with some pics of the Ventura LP line.

http://www.catoosatrading.com/images/ven_cat_1970_3.jpg

Ripper70

2. scooter1

scooter1 Junior Member

Hi ripper70, I own all four Ventura models pictured in the bottom row of the catalog page you linked. I think they are excellent guitars with superior tone and action...I have not, however, owned or played an actual LP, so I can't compare. The ones I own all have their quirks inherited from years of use and I look forward to working on them, but for now I am playing them. Let me know if you want any other info.

Scott

3. Minneapolis Slim

Minneapolis Slim Senior Member

I owned the V1003 when I was in high-school many (many) years ago. It was a solid-playing and sounding guitar. I liked the pickups with the open look but still had a shell around them. I thought that was a more stable mounting design than plain open coils that could wobble in the ring.

Man, I'd love to find one of those LP Specials with the wrap bridge though!

4. Annoying Twit

Annoying Twit Senior Member

I like the look of the V2900.

5. GuitarMan1972

GuitarMan1972 Junior Member

When my Father passed, he left me his V2600! Great sounding guitar and just looks so clean for the age it actually is. I'm not sure of their worth, but to me, my V2600 is priceless!!!

6. GuitarMan1972

GuitarMan1972 Junior Member

0123112116.jpg

0123112117.jpg

0123112115.jpg

My V2600!!

7. christopherbuyak

christopherbuyak Junior Member

I own the V-2800 (which I didn't know that's what it was till now) and I LOVE it!! I wouldn't trade it for anything less that $4000 lol even though I have no idea what it's actually worth.

8. Rickey

Rickey Junior Member

I have a 1969-70 Ventura lawsuit 335 copy. It's a very interesting guitar. Came out of the Matsumoto factory which is where epiphones where made. I have a 1969 epiphone ea-260 bass which looks just like a 335. Same cherry red and all. I'll post some pics of my Ventura. I am trying to get rid of it if anyone knows someone who maybe interested.

Attached Files:

9. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member

Their jazz boxes seem to have quite a popularity about them. I checked one out off craigslist but sadly needed a neck reset. The most intriguing Ventura that I've seen come up on ebay was a Howard Roberts copy.