Vanilla Smell

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Dangitdan, Feb 4, 2018.

1. JesseXGibson

JesseXGibson Senior Member

What did the other “sweet” smelling guitars smell like?

2. JesseXGibson

JesseXGibson Senior Member

We havnt missed it, theres just still people out there with sentless cases and guitars reeking of sweet sexy vanilla

rockstar232007 likes this.
  3. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Yep, and then there was this post by @paruwi on page 1 of this thread which is the first hand experience of a former Gibson employee.
    [​IMG]
    So really, the verdict is still out. In the end, it may well be that the vanilla smell is added to *both* the guitars and the cases. Would seem to explain the experience of those in both camps.

paruwi, Dangitdan and Kingdom of Nye like this.
  4. RonH

RonH Member

I definitely didn't miss it and just went through this (a couple of post above). My Epi Japan didn't smell like that at all, but the new Gibson case I bought has the smell and luckily my Epi does now after being in the case. I love the smell. Gibson could do something as well but I am convinced you can get the smell with the case alone since I did just a couple of days ago and your correspondence solidifies that for me. I am guessing Gibson gets cases from different makers and the TKL ones have that smell and maybe others ones don't. It is exactly the same smell that my Gibson Traditional had when I bought it new but my Epi is a poly finish, not nitro and didn't smell like that at all. I pulled the new case out and could smell it before I opened it. Funny how you can be that excited about the smell of a case. I was hoping it would work that way!

5. ivan H

ivan H Senior Member

Maybe some have missed my earlier post too, Gibson has confirmed that it is an aldehyde component used in finishing the guitars & used by TKL when making cases. It is both guitars & TKL cases that the smell comes from. Cheers

RonH and Kingdom of Nye like this.
  6. ivan H

ivan H Senior Member

Benzoin resin & oil have a great many beneficial properties, relaxative, calmative, sedative, anti depressant, improves circulation etc etc, as a quick google search (benefits of benzoin resin or oil) will show. It is also used as a deodoriser as it possesses that heavenly vanilla smell. The resin C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_Benzoin-2.jpg is often sold by herbal suppliers in small amounts, 8 - 10 grams, quite cheaply. Throw a small amount in all your guitar cases & you can have all your guitars smell like it. Cheers

7. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

I just bought both some benzoin resin oil and some benzoin resin chunks. So we’ll see once they get here.... ;)

ivan H likes this.
  8. ivan H

ivan H Senior Member

As I mentioned in my first post, there are two varieties of benzoin resin, Sumatra & Siam. Both possess the vanilla smell, but one variety also has a bit of a cinnamon thing going on with the vanilla. I cant remember which is which off the top of my head but its easy enough to find out (google). Both types are readily available. Cheers

9. drsmoku

drsmoku Junior Member

You want vanilla Gibson smell with You all day long? Sure You do...

Dior Homme Intense (important notice: intense not regular one)

Get this perfume, apply to skin, wait a minute or so, enjoy

https://goo.gl/images/AsGxfu

You will thank me later

10. tabascom16

tabascom16 Member

In vintage guitars I would suspect this was a mix of off gassing of the nitro finish or case materials mixed with essential oils from the Brazilian rosewood fret board. Brazilian rosewood has a very sweet and aromatic scent. I have not worked with Indian rosewood, but I have worked with Amazon and Honduran and they have a spicy smell and it is not really sweet.

On newer guitars I would not be surprised if this smell is faked and added to try and replicate that of yesteryear.

11. efstop

efstop Gold Supporter

I bought an unbranded TKL case for each of my Tributes from L&M, and they both had the smell. The Fender Pro Series tweed case I bought for my Tele smells awful.

Dangitdan likes this.
  12. James R

James R Premium Member

I don’t know where the smell comes from, but to add more confusion, I bought a number of TKL cases for my guitars that needed them and they all smelled more like raw cookie dough when they were brand new, not the intoxicating vanilla smell that I get from 3 of my 5 Gibsons.
    My 3 LPs and their cases smell of vanilla, my SG came with a gig bag and didn’t smell and my ‘66 ES-125 has long since lost its original case and any smell that may have accompanied it.

13. LtDave32

LtDave32 Desert Star Guitars Super Mod Premium Member MLP Vendor

I build a lot of guitars and spray nitro lacquer exclusively. Have been for years.

Sometimes in extreme weather I let them off-gas in the house. The smell of "vanilla" (I liken it to a caramel apple) is strong at first, but the solvents from the off-gassing are very evident as well. After a few days, you can walk up to the project and sniff right on it. Yep, there's that smell.

-But it weakens and eventually goes away.

What lacquer is, is solids suspended in solvents. When the solvents evaporate into the atmosphere, the solids are left behind and they harden.

The longer the elapsed time, the weaker the solvent smell.

There is however a "sweet spot" of time when you can smell that delicious smell all over the house, and it's not carrying the strong solvent smell with it.

Yep, that's a good day. Yessirree.

endial, 1all's Pub and JohnnyN like this.
  14. BeanoFAN

BeanoFAN Senior Member

Not sure what it is, but my SG Standard STILL smells like it after a year (precisely a year this month). Its faint, but if you put your nose up to the guitar, you can still smell it. AND I keep my guitars on stands, not in the case. I like it :D

15. ivandolz

ivandolz Member

I found this parfum from my wife at home.. I am going to start spraying it all around my guitar and cases, hahaha.

20180306_143619562_iOS.jpg

Dangitdan likes this.
  16. Dangitdan

Dangitdan Junior Member

Lol!

17. Kaicho8888

Kaicho8888 Senior Member

Forget the guitar and case...

I'm spraying my wife... :applause:

RayTorvalds and dsmcl77 like this.
  18. danisnotstan

danisnotstan Member

They smelled like "Gibsons" haha I don't know how to explain it other than most newer Gibson's that I've owned have smelled familiar (definitely a pleasant smell). I've had a few older Gibson's that were obviously gigged in smokey bars and they smelled funky. I used to think it was the case but I've smelled it on Gibson's out of the case. I don't think it has to do with nitro in general because I've had nitro Fender's and they don't smell like anything. I also have a PRS and recently had a GJ2 and they both came in G&G cases which also both had a very sweet smell. The PRS and GJ2 cases smelled the same but then I've also had the same G&G type case with a nitro Fender inside and it didn't smell like anything.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  19. rednefceleb

rednefceleb Premium Member

Whenever I opened up my fresh refined "60 DC Jr....anyone around the case would look, smile like we just huffed the aroma of forest in Lake Tahoe, knocked off our stance in an effort to regain balance.

20. Perrystrings

Perrystrings Junior Member

When I first bought my 2002 Classic LP, it had lain unused and unloved in its case for many months. There was a very strong vanilla smell from both the guitar and case, which slowly faded over the following weeks - I kept the guitar out of its case on a stand. In this instance, it would seem both guitar and case together possibly created the aroma.