Vanilla Smell

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Dangitdan, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Lloyd_m

Lloyd_m Senior Member

To add absolutely nothing to this debate, I'll add this:
    - Bought a 2012 BJA LP Junior: Came with a HSC but had no smell (glossy finish but it stayed on the wall in the store for 3 years before I bought it)
    - Bought a 2014 LPJ: Came with a gigbag and no smell (satin finish)
    - Bought a 2014 MM: Came with a gigbag and no smell (satin finish)
    - Bought 5 2015 LPs: All came with a HSC and had the smell (all glossy finishes)
    - Bought a 2017 Custom Special LP: Came with a gigbag and still has the smell (glossy finish)

The conclusion with this tiny sample would be "fresh" glossy finish => scent.

Now I have to buy a new satin LP with a case, it's the only combination missing... Nice, I needed an excuse to get another LP :D.

2. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

Ah, another guy crazy enough to buy (more than) one of the maligned 2015s. But you don't still have any of them? (your sig file)

3. Lloyd_m

Lloyd_m Senior Member

Nope, I sold all of them to buy guitars from other brands *sacrilege!* :D I still play like crap, so there's that.

4. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I know this smell and I love it.. as some guy claim it is from the guitar while others say it is from the case... may be such smell in injected in both :D

5. bobsessed

bobsessed Junior Member

It was obvious......and a pretty funny one at that. I just had to run with it a little.

6. DeafDumbBlind Kid

DeafDumbBlind Kid Senior Member

silly thread but it did make me go to my music room and check my '11 R0 and case. If they had a vanilla smell it is now gone. But I do know what they're talking about because I opened many a Historic cases (literally hundreds) and handled the guitars.

The case does have a smell of its own. I had an '89 LP Standard I bought new that had the case with the infamous flap. That case did NOT smell very nice, it was a lot like sweaty socks, which I knew quite well from many years of wearing Hermann Survivor boots year round. I even asked the store if there was something wrong with it and they said that was how they were made and that it was the glue they used.

rockstar232007 likes this.
  7. gkelm

gkelm Senior Member

From WebMD:
    People take benzoin by mouth for swelling (inflammation) of the throat and breathing passages.

Some people apply it directly to the skin to kill germs, reduce swelling, and stop bleeding from small cuts. Benzoin is also used topically for skin ulcers, bedsores, and cracked skin. In combination with other herbs (aloe, storax, and tolu balsam), benzoin is used as a skin protectant. This combination is known as “compound benzoin tincture.”

By inhalation, benzoin is used to treat hoarseness (laryngitis), croup, and other respiratory conditions.

I think that's really thoughtful of Gibson...no wonder I feel so much better when I'm playing my guitar!

ivan H and 1all's Pub like this.
  8. Rock City

Rock City Senior Member

I got my Junior refinished into "57 look-a-like" and it smelt like nitro for months. Real men smell!

9. patrick2099

patrick2099 Senior Member

I want a Les Paul car air freshener that has that smell.

Axis39, Lloyd_m and warma like this.
  10. Kingdom of Nye

Kingdom of Nye Senior Member

This is why companies like TKL add the vanilla scent to the glue in the first place, because the glue stinks without it.

11. warma

warma Junior Member

I don't think so. My Studio doesn't smell anymore but the case still has a strong smell and i barely put that guitar inside.

12. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

Because your Gibson was made before 2012, right ?

13. warma

warma Junior Member

Umm..I think it's a 2012 model. I'm not sure..

14. warma

warma Junior Member

Anyway..i LOVE that smell..4 or 5 years on and still there..

15. captainbraindamage

captainbraindamage V.I.P. Member

I bought a used guitar and the case smells like stale tomato beer. I much prefer the vanilla. :facepalm:

16. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Senior Member

bought my TH in the middle of Dec, 2017 it's says on the TH decal, Period Correct Lacquer, don't know what that is but the sweet smell is more addicting than heroin. I have to have to stop and have a sniff at least 10 times a day ...

17. RonH

RonH Member

I just bought a new Gibson case for my Epiphone Japan Les Paul Custom and the case smells just like my old Gibson LP Traditional. That same vanilla type smell you are talking about. Now my Epi Japan smells like it. I always thought it was the guitar but now think it is the case.

18. danisnotstan

danisnotstan Member

I have owned at least 20 Gibson's and while most smelled like that feint sweet smell (a few smelled like the bars they gigged) I have only had one that smelled like vanilla and ironically it is a 2012 also.

19. Dangitdan

Dangitdan Junior Member

Still going... Lol.
    Just picked up a telecaster with a nitro finish, no smell, case or guitar.
    Sparked the conversation with my collector friend, since we like to talk about dumb shit that, in the long run makes no difference but, is fun to debate and he owns/has owned many guitars, he brought up a good point...
    He said he has owned lots of guitars with nitro finish, gloss, satin, vintage, relic and gloss but he said only the Gibson's ever smelled like vanilla.
    I think until I personally tour the Gibson factory I'll never be satisfied and I still think they spray them, or the case, with vanilla extract

Thanks for keeping the thread civil, for the most part. It doesn't matter but It's interesting to discuss.

20. Kingdom of Nye

Kingdom of Nye Senior Member

A lot of people are missing my earlier post.

TKL adds the vanilla scent to their cases.

IMG_4586.PNG

Axis39 and Dangitdan like this.