Vanilla Smell

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Dangitdan, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Kingdom of Nye

Kingdom of Nye Senior Member

Here's a quote from last year from TKL's Director of Domestic & International Operations, do with it what you will: "The adhesives we use are all water-based, and have their natural odors scented with a vanilla concentrate. Sometimes there is a residual odor. The concentration of this scent will continue to diminish over time."

islandjimmy likes this.
  2. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

Simple physics that shouldn't need explained, but apparently does. The compartment is *far* from air tight and a still absorbs oders from the case which is much more airtight. The guitar is solid material and such is *much* harder to absorb odors than the lining of a case. Putting your guitar back in you case puts it in an air tight area where the fumes can't escape. You may think it is odor free, but it is still emitting. The case isn't, but the odor is trapped in a closed case
    Leave your case open for a few weeks while you put that guitar in another previously odor free airtight case for the same time period.
    Then come back and tell us what the results are from a truly objective test, since you think you know different. And while you're at it, you can explain why Gibsons that come in a gig bag have that smell too, while Gibson cases that come w/o a guitar don't.
    Oh, and you are quite right, there are a lot of variations to that smell. It is no wonder it is described differently.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  3. Kingdom of Nye

IMG_4586.PNG This is from 4:35 pm today, I asked TKL myself. For what it's worth TKL says they add a vanilla scent to the glue in their cases. I don't think there's anything else to argue about.

Dangitdan and tigger like this.
  4. Jackangus

Jackangus Senior Member

That sweet vanilla smell is pure monkey jism.
    That's a scientific fact.

5. StubbyJ

StubbyJ Senior Member

I call B.S.

6. Robert Parker

Robert Parker Senior Member

I have. No vanilla smell.

7. BADMAN67

BADMAN67 Member

I had a PRS that smelled of vanilla. It' the polishing compound they use on the wheels in the factory. Nitro cellulose smells horrible when you get up close and personal.

8. tigger

tigger Senior Member

so.. maybe I should be adding a bit of vanilla extract to glue? :) I might actually completely replace the interior of a very smelly old case and I could do the same.

9. tigger

tigger Senior Member

Who was it manufactured by? I bought 2 TKL Gibson cases and all had that vanilla smell. As well as one Fender case, but another cheaper Fender case didn't have it.

10. radiomatts

radiomatts Senior Member

IF the fingerboard is baked maple, it will smell like a combination of vanilla and pancake syrup.

dsmcl77 likes this.
  11. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Almost every new TKL case I've ever had, or seen smelled nothing like vanilla. In fact, they had a very "sour" scent. Weird.

12. Robert Parker

It's a Gibson case.

13. tigger

tigger Senior Member

I understand, but that doesn't tell us who manufactured it. Gibson is using different suppliers.

14. PierM

PierM Certified Naysayer Premium Member

15. Robert Parker

Gotcha. I don't know who the manufacturer was. It's a case for the Ace Frehley custom shop model. I bought the case empty from a Sam Ash clearance sale many years ago. It was listed as new but who knows.

16. bobsessed

bobsessed Junior Member

I bought a new Charvel super strat in 1990. That thing was saturated with vanilla monkey jiz. The smell was as strong as ever when I sold it 15 years later.

Jackangus likes this.
  17. Kingdom of Nye

When I worked in a guitar factory and they would have us buff the guitars on a stew mac buffing wheel, the compound(s) we were using had no smell. The compound would get in the air and all over my clothes and hair and it didn't smell like vanilla OR monkey jizz.

What a ripoff.

That being said, I've smelled some delicious polishing compounds and car waxes in the past.

One time the wheel "grabbed" the guitar out of my hands and I instinctively (stupidly) tried to stop it, I ended up getting my hand smashed and my nuts kicked by a Chinese les paul copy. Good thing the boss thought it was funny I guess.

18. Jackangus

Jackangus Senior Member

That was a joke. Thought that was obvious.

19. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

My R9 has not been in it's case for 3 1/2 years. And of the 8+ years I've had it, it has spent at most a few months total in the case. Just checked, and the R9 itself still has a hint of the vanilla smell. Pull the case out and it still smells strongly. Of course the case has been closed. So whether the case is the source of the smell, or the original smell has been trapped in the case, I don't know. And if the case had been open for years and did or didn't still smell, I don't think that would mean anything. Even of the case were the source, the guitar finish could have absorbed some of it and may hold it longer than the case.

I like DarellV's idea that it is the Gibson wax. If he has some and says it smells like that, that's pretty strong evidence. It seems likely the guitars were polished with it at the factory. And no question the nitro would have picked up some of the wax and odor and the case lining could easily pick up the wax as well. I would also expect that waxing might be one of the very last things done to these guitars before going in the case. So it makes some sense the wax wouldn't even have fully dried before the git goes in the case and ipso facto, the first time you open that case you get blasted with it.

20. Javiersson

Javiersson Senior Member

My Studio didn't come with case, only a gigbag, and I still remember that smell. It is, IMO, the guitar.

1all's Pub likes this.