Vanilla Smell

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Dangitdan, Feb 4, 2018.

1. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

It's not vanilla, it's nitro fumes!
    In large doses it will get you high:hippie:
    New Gibson smells nice, but it's wearing of on mine, so I guess I'll have to buy another new Gibson.
    Addictive stuff :shock:

cherrysunburst00 and Dangitdan like this.
  2. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

Wow, my 2017 SG Standard HP came with the stinkiest case I've ever had. I guess I haven't taken a good whiff of the guitar itself, but that case can give you a headache. I love that aluminum case for the protection it offers both outside and inside for an SG, but I wish it would finish offgassing.

3. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

The scent is a combination of lacquer and buffing-compound.

The cases, when new, stink of glue.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  4. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Both of my first 2017's, the Blueberry Burst Standard T and the Black Cherry Burst Studio HP came with a big time Vanilla Smell and it stuck around for a while.

But.... My new Les Paul Custom that I just got 2 weeks ago did not have a strong Vanilla smell, it was there but no where near as prominent as the other two.

5. ivandolz

ivandolz Member

I love that smell!! Almost all my Gibsons came with it (not the Epiphone). The real pitty is that it fades... It tends to stick more if you keep it in the case.

Cygnus X-1 likes this.
  6. E1WOOD5150

E1WOOD5150 Purveyor of Joke Grenades

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  7. Axis39

Axis39 Senior Member

My 2013 has the smell... My '08 Traditional had it. But, i am 100% convinced it comes from the case. If I leave either of those guitars out of their cases, the smell goes away. Until I return them to the case for a 'recharge'. My theory is that it's the fake fur.

I also have finished a few guitars, including nitro finishes, lacquers, shellacs, polyurethanes, etc. None of them have that sweet vanilla smell.

My two 2015's withe the gold cases don't smell at all. I've owned a few LPs that came with gigbags and they never had the vanilla smell either.

My '70 SG does not smell like that, nor does it's case... It's case smell is a kinda like pencils. My '68 ES smelled like pencils as well.

Someone earlier posed that ti was the orange bottle Gibson Guitar Polish. Not sure what they're smelling, my orange bottle polish has a rather pine or sharp smell. I love the way it smells, but it is far from vanilla!

8. JonCanfield

JonCanfield Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I love that smell! I hang mine, and cases are closed, but I still have the strong scent that pulls me into the room

cherrysunburst00 and JohnnyN like this.
  9. ivandolz

ivandolz Member

All i read was good until your 2015... I have a Les Paul Traditional and a DG Standard of 2015 in their gold cases... And both had the smell.

Axis39 likes this.
  10. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

Are the newer Gibson cases actually made by TKL?

Martin TKLs have the same vanilla "problem".

11. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

I agree about the orange bottle Gibson polish... piney is a good description. No vanilla scent at all that comes out of my bottle. Pine or chemical... but no vanilla (wish it did!).

Anyway, I do have to disagree that it comes from the case though... I have fondled plenty of brand new Gibsons at stores that came with gig bags and not cases and that smelled of the lovely smell. Can’t be the case (or at least can’t be *only* the case).

I guess I am just stuck on the post that @paruwi posted at the bottom of page 1 of this thread where he quoted a former Gibson employee (and MLP member) saying it’s the lacquer and that “the whole finishing department smells like it all day long”. This just seems to be the best and most informed take on the subject.

Does nitro lacquer naturally smell like vanilla? Apparently not as you (and many others) who have sprayed it have attested. But it seems quite logical that Gibson adds a vanilla-like fragrance to theirs to combat nitro’s normal unpleasant scent. Could it be that they also spray this fragrance into the case as well? Possibly. Or it could just be that storing a freshly painted guitar (one that has had a vanilla-like fragrance added to its finish) in the case impregnates the case with that scent? And since the case is almost ways kept closed, that scent remains strong in the case as a result. Thus, when you put the guitar back in the case it “re-acquires” the smell from the case that it originally gave to the case. Brand new cases I’ve smelled that have never had a guitar in them do not smell like vanilla.

I bought my 2016 Trad in Honey Burst 2 weeks after it’d been built, it and the case were absolutely glorious in the very strong and rich vanilla aroma. Now, 2 years later, the guitar still carries a hint of that smell, while the case does not. To me this (and all the other evidence (not the least of which is paruwi’s aforementioned post) leads me to the believes it’s the guitar/nitro that’s the original source of the aroma... and the case gets it’s by way of such intimate contact with the guitar when the finish is so new.

12. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

:thumb:

JohnnyN and 1all's Pub like this.
  13. gball

gball Senior Member

I just bought a 2010 LP case, one of the white ones with black interior that only came with Limited Edition Standards and only that year. From the seller it sounds like the guitar was taken out of it when it was first bought, and wouldn't you know, it still smells STRONGLY of vanilla. Enough that when I got it it arrived at my office and I opened it briefly just to inspect it and I could smell it the rest of the afternoon. Leads me to believe that it was in fact stored closed all these years (also, the pristine, like-new condition). So, no matter where that smell is coming from it is persistent.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  14. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

Now leave the cases open and empty for an extended period, meanwhile put the guitars on other cases and see what happens.
    Why would you think airing out the guitars and not the cases is objective?
    2015s in gold cases do have the smell, and quite substantial. I have 5, all different models.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  15. Axis39

Axis39 Senior Member

Spraying nitro smells like lacquer thinner. That's the solvent used to thin it to the proper viscosity to spray. The lacquer itself smells like lacquer thinner too. I am not familiar with everyone's brands of lacquer and thinners, so I could be misdirecting the conversation....

As for adding some vanilla scent to it? I dunno?

I will say, I do love the smell. I kinda miss it on my newest ones... I always loved to open that '08 Traditiional's case and have the sweet smell fill the room!

Also, interesting to note, I have a 2010 Keb Mo Bluesmaster Acoustic. It's a Custom Shop acoustic that comes in a really nice hard case. It doesn't have that vanilla smell either, in case or not. Although, right now it has that wonderful piney smell form the orange bottle polish! :rofl:

Dangitdan likes this.
  16. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Certainly regular lacquer or thinner contains not a single trace of anything even remotely vanilla.

rockstar232007 likes this.
  17. syrinx

syrinx Senior Member

my standard has been hanging on the wall for months and it still has a strong finish smell. It is moreso on the front of the guitar-the neck and back where there is contact much less so.

18. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

This.

Anyone who has ever been around a freshly finished, unbuffed guitar can atest to this.

Now, smell one that has been freshly buffed - different story.

The scent of new, and some old LPs reminds me of my middle-school, shop-class. Specifically, the buffer.

Dangitdan likes this.
  19. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Do you mean to imply anything by your use of the word “regular” (ie, that Gibson maybe has something other than regular about their lacquer)? ;) Or am I reading too much into it? :)

20. islandjimmy

islandjimmy Senior Member

I've done a lot of research on this "vanilla" scent and I think I know what it is. I have not read all the posts on this thread but some that I have read allude to the same results I have found. I think it is a combination of the nitro lacquer and the case. The Gibson USA cases that are made in Canada are the cases with the vanilla smell. To prove this, go open the storage compartment inside the case and smell it. It's vanilla. Nitro naturally smells a bit like vanilla as well. My 2012 Trad Pro smells like vanilla because I keep it in the case. My 2015 Traditional does not smell like vanilla because they changed cases that year to the gold cases. If I put my 2015 Trad into my 2012 Trad Pro case, it comes out smelling like vanilla after a few days. I think the nitro absorbs that smell of the case. Just my two cents.

Axis39 likes this.