Vanilla Smell

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Dangitdan, Feb 4, 2018.

1. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

The 2019 models will smell of cabbage. It's a Lifestyle choice and will cost an extra 100 bucks.

Rocco Crocco, DarrellV and Dangitdan like this.
  2. judson

judson Senior Member

definitely..... the smell was from the firebird Zero which had no case and had a weird smell...

case closed...pun intended..:rofl:

3. StingyCH

StingyCH The Bearded guy from Heidi land..

Last year I bought a Gibson "Gear" Case for my 2015 Traditional (she came with the gold plastic case that I didn't like), also made in Canada and same kind of lining as the standard ones, only in black/grey interior. It did not have the same smell as my 2018 Classic or my Studio (which they came into their respective case)..:dunno:

4. gcbike

gcbike Silver Supporter

Some Meguiars polishes smell like cinnamon, so I say it's a polishing compound they use.My 60s tribute had no smell out of the bag and box

5. Adamc

Adamc Member

Sadly that smell on my guitar is fading ☹️ Lol

Telechamp likes this.
  6. mudface

mudface Senior Member

My 2013 Standard still smells like a bag of marshmallows.....just as strong as the day I bought it.

shupe13 likes this.
  7. bum

bum Senior Member

The smell is there and strong on my 335 and it 100% comes from the guitar as the first thing I did when I got it was buy a cheap Gator case for gigging and that was over a year ago, guitar still smells sweet, case does not

Have FUN likes this.
  8. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Senior Member

I bought a brand new Gibson Custom LP case a few years back and it smelled like puke. It smelled so bad, it stunk up the rehearsal space. The smell did go away after a while. Some guys think that the vanilla smell comes from the buffing compound used in the guitar. I wonder if the satin or faded guitars smell like vanilla, they don’t get close to a buffing wheel. BTW, I bought a few new Gibsons recently that didn’t smell like vanilla. That smell may always be an enigma.

Dangitdan likes this.
  9. ivan H

ivan H Senior Member

Gibson has given the answer to the "that smell" (the vanilla kinda smell) somewhere in the past, though I cant remember where I read it. Its from an aldehyde component used in both finishing the guitars & in making the cases (IIRC). If you want to keep your guitar & case smelling like it, get yourself some "Benzoin Resin" & keep a little in the case with the guitar. Soon as you get some of this benzoin resin you'll recognise the smell. Cheers

Edit; there is 2 varieties of benzoin resin, Siam & Sumatra. I cant remember off the top of my head which is "best", though both will do to give you "that smell". Cheers

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Mazerius, lakeburst, Wolfie and 2 others like this.
  10. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

Butterscotch

11. Harry Mac

Harry Mac Junior Member

I dont know the science behind it but i know that it somehow completes the new guitar euphoria. If they could bottle the scent I would buy it and spray it in every room of my house.

12. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Senior Member

I bought a new SG in 2015, that one was 100% Vanilla smell, I bought a TH Les Paul in late 2017, although that one smelled awesome too it was 100% NOT the Vanilla smell

Logan Tyler and Cjsinla like this.
  13. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I had a '16 FB T, came in a gigbag, and it still had that smell.

Lloyd_m and 1all's Pub like this.
  14. PierM

PierM Black & Gold Premium Member

Vanilla in my Custom Light 2016...but my 2015 Trad smells like a kid throw up his biscuits and milk breakfast in the case. I keep cleaning the guitar to remove that, but doesn't go away.... It's something wasn't there back in the days. I didn't had this in my '80 Gibson guitars.

Custom shop usually doesn't smell of anything particular, just a mix of wood, nitro and naphtha. I do prefer that smell, honestly. :)

Cjsinla likes this.
  15. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Senior Member

My 2006 explorer, smelled like vanilla, I part ways with it last year, and it still smelled strongly however it was not as sweet as I remember it.

My 2016 Les Paul, smelled more like spicy cocoa, than vanilla, however it's scent is almost faded now.
    Gibson Luthier's polish, does have a pleasant smell, but it doesn't last long.

16. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

Guitar or the case??? Chicken or the egg????

Dangitdan likes this.
  17. ClashCityRocker

ClashCityRocker Senior Member

I have a guitar from another brand that is Nitro finished and it has the same smell (or damn close).
    This video is an interesting watch if you’re into at least the Gibson USA production of guitars. It’s basically just a seminar at a trade show. I don’t remember the exact time but he does mention something along the lines of “the lovely smell of the nitro in the factory”.
    [​IMG]

18. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

I have a bottle of this as well... it smells nothing like vanilla and/or a new Gibson. It shines up a guitar very nicely, but it smells like chemicals.
    Since @Inside Guy used to work at Gibson, I’d say his explanation is the most informed to date.

lakeburst, Dangitdan, PierM and 2 others like this.
  19. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Silver Supporter Premium Member

That's why I said YMMV... Mine does...:dunno:

Wouldn't have put it out on a forum to look like an idiot if I didn't believe it...

I can do that well enough on my own, thanks! :D

RayTorvalds and 1all's Pub like this.
  20. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

Should be pretty well known that it is the finish. Nobody wants to believe that for some reason. Much better to trust speculation. Just keep this in mind when trying to validate other information on a forum. Pretty sad, actually.

Hogie34, Les Paul Newb and Have FUN like this.