Vanilla Smell

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Dangitdan, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Dangitdan

Dangitdan Junior Member

I know there are other, older threads, but a friend and I went into a long discussion about it last night and I think we hit some good points and came up with a reasonable answer.
    I've heard different stories about that smell... Ooh ooh, that smeeeeeelllll!

1. A dealer told me they actually spray a bit of vanilla extract into the case.
    2. Someone posted it's off gassing from the nitro and glue they use in the case.
    *Having sprayed lacquer and used a variety of spray adhesives (I build flight cases for a living. Foam and fur lined both use the same adhesive and it does not smell like vanilla in any way) I find this one hard to believe*
    3. I heard an urban legend, when Gibson first started making guitars they were nextdoor to a bakery or something and the smell of the baked good would flood the shop with an aroma that would permeate the cases so now it's done for nostalgia purposes

So, here's my theory: Knowing first hand the fumes from adhesives, off gassing lacquers and solvents used for cleaning after applications of said materials, I believe, the cases are indeed sprayed with vanilla but for no other reason than to mask the smell of the chemicals used in production and clean up.

Attached Files:

rednefceleb, Mockbel, Who and 6 others like this.
  2. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

That smell RULES!!!

3. cherrysunburst00

4. Dangitdan

Dangitdan Junior Member

Thanks really like it here. Love my new LP and I could talk gear for days

5. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

That vanilla smell come fron the guitar, not from the case.

6. cherrysunburst00

Well, you're in rhe right place for both :applause:

Dangitdan likes this.
  7. Dangitdan

Dangitdan Junior Member

Do you know this for a fact? My theory is just that, theory, so if you know for certain could you please explain? I've used various lacquers and the closest I've used smelled a bit like banana if anything.

8. judson

judson Senior Member

i bought a brand new fresh in the box pelam blue firebird zero and it came without a case, had this weird smell that maybe was close to vanilla but until i read this thread, it didnt dawn on me...i returned it after 2 days as it just didnt feel right but that smell might be close to vanilla but actually i thought it just smelled weird and sort of shitty over the hour or so test driving it......

closer to baby shit than vanilla...:laugh2:

rdbear7d likes this.
  9. TheDevice

TheDevice Senior Member

Yeah I smell the nuclear bananas from the guitar, the vanilla is another thing entirely .

10. tigger

tigger Senior Member

If you get a Gibson guitar in a gigbag and a separate Gibson case, the case will come smelling but the guitar won't.

Who, Robo, Axis39 and 2 others like this.
  11. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

I' ve got a 2012 SG Std in a Brown/pink Gibson case from 90' s, the smell come from the SG.

12. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

its possible Gibson maybe adds something to the thinners which in turn off gasses into the fabric of the case

has anyone ever bought a empty Gibson case ? does that still smell of vanilla ?
    its a great smell anyhow

edit....
    think have funs just answered it.

our local dealer sometimes has some lp's hanging up for months on end they still smell strong of vanilla

Dangitdan likes this.
  13. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

That was actually my gas from a banana split earlier.
    :dude:

The only case I've ever detected a powerful nitro scent was the German Hofer. Lasted several days.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    rednefceleb, MooCheng and Dangitdan like this.
  14. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Member

My last 4 LPs all smell like vanilla but the cases did not. I believe it’s something in the finish.

15. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I know what a new Gibson smells like, but it doesn't smell like vanilla to my nose.

aslatie and Dangitdan like this.
  16. Dangitdan

Dangitdan Junior Member

As I read more into this, yes I've become obsessed, I'm finding people who have bought new cases that have never had a guitar in them that smell of vanilla.
    But also people who have guitars that came in gig bags with a faint sweet smell still.
    Well, guess I have to fly to Nashville and go undercover all "dateline" style. Lol
    I think all points are valid but, for now, nothing solid to confirm either.
    There have been aroma studies that found vanilla to be highly pleasant for men for what it's worth.
    The new chicken or the egg...

I can only go on my experience with certain solvents and lacquers and, it's been my experience, that any sweet smell you might get when sprayed does not remain while it cures for very long. This is mainly due to agents in the lacquer that help speed up the curing process. If it's the guitar then it saturates the case which stays closed most of its life and explains why the case retains the smell for longer (my new LP has been hanging in the shop for a while and no longer smells sweet but the cases scent is very strong). Or, the opposite could be true? The smell could grab hold, so to speak, to the lacquer finish on the guitar since the curing process continues well past "handling" time.
    Maybe this is like the KFC blend of herbs and spices and we'll never know for certain.
    Either way, thanks for all the input.

17. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Some..nitro if they are new enough.

18. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Premium Member

:welcome: OP!

I'm going to toss my hat into the ring and venture that it is the wax they put on it.

I base this on having purchased a pump jar of Gibson brand wax from my friendly neighborhood music store after it came back from a re-fret. No, its not Guitar denter, LOL!:D

It looked so slick and amazingly shiny / glassy I noticed it right away.

My guitar is 35 years old and I was happy with the aged finish it came to me with. So when I opened the case up on the counter it startled me how really beautiful it was. :wow:

Now this part you can chalk up to urban legend if you want, but the owner, of no small amount of experience and who owns many vintage guitars himself, assured me that he and his team have found nothing better for Gibson guitars than Gibson wax.

The only thing he could think of was that Gibson makes their own lacquer formula and no one else does it quite the same way.:dunno:

He has found it doesn't work so well on other finishes including poly, but he has other favorite waxes for those.

After seeing the results I naturally bought some.

That vanilla goodness comes out of that pump can every time i use it! And it continues to shine my Lester like sheet of ice!

So my money is on the wax... YMMV:thumb:
    [​IMG]

Malikon, shickma0, Wolfie and 5 others like this.
  19. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

Right, depend of the year, my 2000 Gibson smell Gibson but the 2012 smell vanillia.

20. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

He ^^ should know......

Malikon, 1all's Pub, dsmcl77 and 2 others like this.