Value of this 1961 Les Paul SG?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by andy.glines, Oct 29, 2009.

1. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

+1
    She's a beauty...keep her til this recession passes.

2. WoodenFingers

WoodenFingers Junior Member

Contrary to the Standard and the Junior the Special (the first Gibson to have the SG body shape) never had Les Paul markings. Also the fact that the Standard has PAF's will make a huge price difference. I bought my 1962 Junior 10 years ago for $695, but it's still not worth much more than $1000 due to a few modifications it had when I bought it, like replaced pots and a tune-o-matic installed. But no neck breaks or headstock issues. I'm amazed how much better an old P90 sounds as opposed to modern ones, there's just no comparison.

3. 61gibson

61gibson Junior Member

Depending on the person or company and how much they want it will pay up to 100k if its in excellent condition for beat up it would drop to 25k and below

4. River

River Senior Member

:shock:

5. dangerdog

dangerdog Senior Member

You sound like an idiot pulling numbers (and grammar) out of his ass.

12k in this market maybe.

6. Zenzeypher

Zenzeypher Senior Member

25million, don't let anyone tell you different.

what did the OP do with it in the end ?

7. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

The value will be some were between $8000 to $12000 in todays market

8. ChaoBreeder

ChaoBreeder Member

9. dogear_dan

dogear_dan Banned

A $4,000.00 Swing is a pretty safe whack wouldn't yo say?

Good Grief man!

1 person likes this.
  10. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

I think the problem here is nobody knows the probable selling price of the OP's guitar. First, I don't think Gibson made a lot of these LP SG standards in the first place. So there aren't that many around now, and fewer yet for sale.

11. Shortscale

Shortscale Premium Member

Does anyone know what ever became of this? The OP is 3 years old and it was the one and only post by that person.

12. Dolebludger

Good point. The advice the OP got as to the value of his guitar was all over the map! No wonder he has been gone for three years.:shock:

13. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

14. Dolebludger

This listing is misleading. Some pics show pups, bridge, and TP -- while others show none of these. The existence of the side-pull trem (while musically useless IMO) is oddly a big selling feature on these guitars, as are the PAFs This guitar has neither and there (IMO) went about $10,000 of value. The finish looks like it has been sanded down and is far from pristine. So what you bet for your $4,500 is a bunch of 51 year old mahogany, electronic wiring (maybe) and tuners (maybe). There are a bunch of "blanks" that need to be filled in on this listing. Also, the listing says "no breaks" but the neck heel joint appears to show either a bad repair job or an existing break.

15. Palladio

Palladio Senior Member

If I remember correctly, that seller sold off the other parts of the guitar including the PAFs separately. I think he got around $4K for the pair of PAFs.

I've got an early '63 LP Standard with the sideways Vibrola and PAFs. The current Vintage Price Guide puts the value at $8-10,000 for a clean example. There are plenty of sellers out there asking a lot more, but no one is buying much above that from what I've seen or heard.

FWIW, most vintage Gibsons I see listed are way above the "real" current market. The bottom has fallen out on vintage guitars, going down every year since 2007. Just look at Ebay completed auctions. As an example, my friend recently bought a super clean '59 Jr. for $4000. He was the only bidder so even that may be an inflated price (though I would have paid that, they are killer guitars!). I've seen total beaters of the same guitar in several NYC shops this year for $6K and up. One guy is asking $11,000 for a clean one. I saw a decent 1955 J-45 with a few minor issues go for $2,000 on Ebay today. Heck the current Gibson REISSUE of that guitar sells for over $3000!

I don't care what my '63 is worth, as it's not leaving me until I'm 6 feet under. It may be the best overall sounding guitar I've ever played. Bottom line is right now it's a good time to be a vintage buyer and a bad time to be a seller. I wouldn't sell one of my vintage guitars now unless I had to. Who knows if and when the prices will come back. But when I see nice vintage guitars with old growth mahogany and Brazilian selling not far outside the range of modern reissues, it seems like a good deal to me!

1 person likes this.