Value of Relicing, Heavy Relicing, vs. Normal Wear and Tear

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by rednefceleb, Dec 31, 2017.

1. rednefceleb

rednefceleb Premium Member

Wow. That's an interesting question. I feel like I'm listening to Rod Serling's 'Twilight Zone'. :D My answer is: I have NO idea!. Good one. :)

2. Macaz

Macaz Junior Member

I see it as purely a finish choice like a high gloss red or a flat brown.
    I have a few LPs. They all sound and play very well.
    One is an immaculate glossy honey burst and I love it for that.
    I also have a Don Felder replica which is aged and I love that too.
    I love it for the connection with the music that shaped my world.
    It looks sweet and plays beautifully.
    I have never, for one minute pretended it was anything other than what it is. A replica.
    I did not realise that there was a competition on who has worn their guitars out more.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    rednefceleb likes this.
  3. larkstar

larkstar Junior Member

4. larkstar

larkstar Junior Member

Relic...such pretentiousness... instruments should be cherished and cared for. They provide a window to your soul and the expression of passions....stop hitting it with a claw hammer.

rednefceleb likes this.
  5. JeffH66

JeffH66 Pelham Blue Addict Premium Member

That's what I hate about selling guitars. People are looking for guitars to look brand new, but they want them at the price of a beater. I have 2 guitars that I need to sell, but I'm dreading the process.

Subterfuge and rednefceleb like this.
  6. blackat

blackat V.I.P. Member

Not everything is that black and white. IMO, they are just tools. There is nothing in the appearance to prevent anyone's expressions.

rednefceleb likes this.
  7. rednefceleb

Tools for sure. But we take care of out tools. I've been proud of every guitar that I've owned/sold. But I don't take out sandpaper to add years. They come in time. 'A few dings' is still basically a new guitar to me. Some mods require massive action. Jeff beck took an electric grinder to his 50's Tele to belly cut the thing, to fit his body. He didn't bother with a repaint. He still plays it that way, I believe. But...he does not sand off 'wear spots' on a Surf Green Strat Plus. He just plays.:) It's really up to the owner. <Got a Les Paul that's too heavy?> o_O Drill 50 holes in it. Big ones! :)

8. rednefceleb

Why dreading, except for the losing of them?

9. blackat

blackat V.I.P. Member

It still doesn't affect how they play. Not changing strings, removing/damaging electronics etc. would do that but appearance alone will not.

Take extra care, keep it new looking/ don't take extra care, have it look beat up~ I don't judge. Play sloppy and put out shitty uninspiring music~ a whole other story.

10. john550

john550 Junior Member

At first I didn't like relic'd guitars at all. A LP with any divot on the neck would be a deal breaker for me.
    Then I began to like lightly "VOS " , then aged , then rounded necks . I bought a Tele "heavy Relic" just as it doubled as a form of art .No doubt they started with an exceptional guitar .

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    slug_maine likes this.
  11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Senior Member

Fake is the worst.
    Play it & create your own history & story.

nitrodave08 and rednefceleb like this.
  12. BigDipper15

BigDipper15 Hack Guitarist

All these relic bashers trying to beat up their poly coated guitar...good luck...lol.

13. rednefceleb

14. strömsborg

strömsborg Senior Member

I think a tastefully reliced guitar looks beutiful, and that the process itself is a kind of art. Just look at some of the relicing threads here at MLP. Just unbelievable.
    But, on the other hand, there's an "and now what?"-feeling to the finished reliced guitar. The only proper place to be for that instrument is behind glass. It's like it's been disqualified from actual use. It doesn't matter whether you are playing alone, in band practice or on stage, that guitar is now officially borrowed plumes, no matter how beautiful it is.
    Compare it to a replica of a certain racing car - you can show it to your friends and on fairs, no problem, but as soon as you get behind the wheel in an actual race and pretend to be your favorite driver you are making a fool of yourself.

15. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^ How about the purchase of a secondhand guitar.
    To you, the new owner, its exactly the same. You've not put any of the wear into it.....you've simply bought something with the wear already on it just like a relic - "borrowed plumes, no matter how beautiful it is"

16. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Senior Member

It's just my own opinion, and I am not going to change my mind on it, but it IS posing, pure and simple. You don't see too many people driving classic cars, and leaving them beat up because they "appreciate" the artistic look of driving a damaged, smoking old beater. It's posing for the sake of it's a lot cheaper to make an axe look well worn, than to actually buy a "real" one worth thousands more..... I agree it looks cool to be playing a "comfortable old relic of a guitar that looks like you sleep with it" but it's still not real, therefore it's posing. I think shiny guitars and cars look much more beautiful than worn, but to each his own! I'm not against relicing, but I would never do it myself. This is of course a topic that will never truly end, but still fun! LOL

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  17. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^ Nobody ever wants damaged cars anyhow, so that is never a valid comparison.

Try furniture or clothing if you want something to make a comparison.....but of course most people wont as the argument tends to vanish of course - because you do see the aged look as a viable and widespread option. Of course you never see people calling purchasers of stonewash jeans or presoftened leather boots as poseurs....sighs.....these people are so much more mature.

18. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Because the process so often SUCKS. Wasted hours emailing pics and answering questions from people who have no intention of buying. Enduring the lowballers who scrutinize every possible detail of the instrument, looking for any rationale whatsoever to shave money off even the fairest asking price. The hassle and worry of boxing and shipping. The dread of a buyer reaching back out after receiving it to say it was damaged or not as represented, the classic shakedown for a partial refund or - God forbid - a return.

Selling gear sucks worse than buying gear rocks.

19. slug_maine

slug_maine Senior Member

To me, this is beautiful.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LPaddicted likes this.
  20. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Senior Member

I suppose you could make that comparison, but what makes clothes, furniture, guitars, cars, or whatever different as far as beating them up? Why is beating up clothes, furniture, or guitars different than beating up a car? Please forgive me, I'm not trying to be a ***hole, I suppose maybe I just like playing devils advocate. But I don't see much sense in prematurely beating up already beautiful things, then saying it looks better, that was why I made such an intentionally silly comparison. It was not meant to offer validity.

On the other side of the coin, I'm not against relicing, different people like different things, I know people who relic their instruments, and when asked I say it's cool, if they are proud of it, then I'm happy for them. I'm not saying it's wrong, however I would never do such a thing.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018