Value of Relicing, Heavy Relicing, vs. normal wear and tear.

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by rednefceleb, Dec 31, 2017.

1. bungle

bungle Senior Member

OP would be the original post which is you in this case.:thumb:

rednefceleb likes this.
  2. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

That checking is atrocious!

Doesn't even look REMOTELY natural...

[​IMG]

rednefceleb and rockstar232007 like this.
  3. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

I get it that it's just a finish choice, and I respect everyone's right to have their own opinion about what might make a guitar look cool, but that ad from Reverb posted above that I just referenced is a good example of what makes me roll my eyes, and shake my head:

According to the ad copy, the guitar was an LP Traditional, which is a budget Lester you can buy all day long for under $1500. But now, because someone executed their version of what wear & tear would look like, they're hoping to get $3700+ for it. (?!?!?!)

I think that's kooky, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone for having an opposing viewpoint. I'm only commenting because the OP poses the dilemma...

rednefceleb likes this.
  4. rednefceleb

rednefceleb Senior Member

I have to agree that's not an example of normal, real, nitro checking. No doubt. About the price, of course, that's ridiculous. I do like it though.

truckermde likes this.
  5. rednefceleb

Thanks for your 'like'. It's just that this is the first forum representing a huge brand, that does not have members being terrible to each other. Disagreeing is a peaceful thing between players and should not lead into ego 'wins' & 'losses'. We are all winners. Thanks for your opinion. It's great to be able to practice freedom of speech without fear.

6. NafriZiza

NafriZiza Junior Member

Sometimes stores sell their ex-demo guitars with discounts due to slight dings or blemishes.
    So I guess, the perk of selling reliced guitars is people will never noticed there are extra dings or blemishes on that guitar.
    Haha.

rednefceleb likes this.
  7. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

What is the point of this thread again? You just wanted to let us know you think relic'd guitars are stupid? Uh, o.k...

rednefceleb likes this.
  8. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

I think for every relic'd guitar lover, there is one that tries to keep his/her guitar looking as new as possible.
    To each his/her own. I like a new guitar to look new. In the course of my own clumsiness, I will "relic" it over time...

rednefceleb likes this.
  9. brianbzed

brianbzed Senior Member

I have never bought a "pre-aged" new guitar.....and probably never will. The dings, scratches, stains, finish checking and fading on my guitars come from actual playing wear. You relic 'em through use ( not abuse ) ! ....just my .02....

rednefceleb likes this.
  10. rednefceleb

Can you imagine saying; "sorry, it's got a minor scratch on the back". I almost always buy a used <but handsome> guitar because of the price break. I like the feel of a guitar that's broken in a little. On 'player's guitars' there's gonna be some dents-scratches-a little fret groove here and there-checking <I really love nitro checking> etc. But: if the back of the neck feels like it needs some smoothing....I will absolutely & carefully 'satin that out'. You have a GREAT guitar collection. No settling for second best on that list. Nice to hear from you.

11. rednefceleb

You are mistaken about my motives. I want to hear from people who like relicing and say why. I didn't say that relicing was "stupid"...I said that "relicing is a horrible thing to do". Thanks.

12. rednefceleb

Good idea. If you want to sell a guitar with that's damaged: get some sandpaper and go to town! Heck, you might wind up with a 'treasure'.

13. Guitarhack

Guitarhack Senior Member

Like just about any finish option it comes down to personal tastes. Some like them some don't.

I was pretty indifferent until I bought one. Its a Fender Custom Shop 1960 Tele Custom light relic. It had pretty much everything else I was looking for in a telecaster except the relic'd finish but I got her anyway. Great guitar sounds and plays like a dream. Honestly the nicest thing about a relic is I don't really worry about banging her up.

Fender has an entire range of relicing that they offer from Closet Classic (aged as if it sat in a case) to Heavy Relic. The costs associated with these guitars is based upon the time and work it takes to properly do the relicing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rednefceleb likes this.
  14. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

According to you then?

15. rednefceleb

I'm not sure what you want to know. But, the last post responding to your question was written by, and is according to me. Yes.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  16. BadPenguin

BadPenguin Senior Member

Personally, not a fan of the relic look from a new guitar. A used one, that has all the real life battle scars, I don't even give the look a thought, it's how it plays.
    I think the biggest turn off for me on the relic crap, was seeing the Fender Rory Gallagher, at $5K mind you. It was a beautiful relic job, look perfectly authentic and beat to death! Seeing 5 of them, next to each other...... killed the illusion completely.

rednefceleb likes this.
  17. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Senior Member

WildWood has got just together with Fender to make a new "Relic Ready" line, from my understanding it is a thin finish Nitro that WILL weather check easily (easier?), no more liquid nitrogen, blowtorch or other extreme shenanigans in attempts to get a little weather checking. I think it's a welcome new concept but at 4k per unit, it's not cheap.
    I wish Gibson would come that way a bit, but I can see the companies position. If they used a nitro lacquer that would crack more easily, half the customers would send them Thank You notes and the other half would threaten legal action ....