Value of Relicing, Heavy Relicing, vs. normal wear and tear.

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by rednefceleb, Dec 31, 2017.

1. rednefceleb

rednefceleb Senior Member

I think relicing a guitar is a horrible thing to do. A guitar becomes 'looking reliced' by actual playing mileage. People who buy and play pre-reliced guitars are showing wear marks that they have not earned.

brianbzed likes this.
  2. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Depends on the motive, but the majority of us, who own "aged" guitars, do so purely for the appreciation of the look of well-played/used, but not abused guitars.

Are there people who want to pretend (see: pose), or make people believe that they have a real '59 LP? Sure. But, they are far and few btween. Most of us know what we're getting, and why we're getting it...or, in my case, doing it myself, and that's all that really matters.

3. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

I can appreciate a nice "relic" if its done well and "not too much".
    I prefer the real thing though.

Heavy relicing seems ridiculous at times.
    Some guitars look like they've been through battles for 50 years
    and need a new neck!
    I thought Gavin Rossdale looked phoney with his beat up Strat.
    I didn't give him the benefit of the doubt or credibility and saw him as a poser.

Rory Gallagher's Strat on the other hand looked just so good.
    'Cause you knew it was real.

4. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

It's a "finish choice". Like choosing red, blue, purple, or lemon.

In fact it's EXACTLY like choosing "lemon", as Gibson guitars were cherry, and faded to "lemon". If you buy a new "lemonburst", do you not deserve to have your color choice, since you didn't wait 50 years for red to fade?

@rednefceleb, you must hate historic makeovers.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  5. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

6. rednefceleb

I agree with your division of a nice relic compared to the butchering of a guitar. I believe that you use the word 'poser' aptly. Thanks for your opinion. Countdown 2018.

Bobby Mahogany likes this.
  7. rednefceleb

That picture: that used to be me.

8. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

We’ve never had a thread about this before.

9. rednefceleb

I've always wondered how fellow musicians may feel about this <new-guitar-wear> finishing treatment. Being old school, relicing is harder for me to appreciate. I must admit thought, when I see a '56 Strat newly built, but tastefully reliced to present an instrument that appears historically correct, is artistic & historic. <tasteful> It's the guitars that seem to have been severely mistreated that appear <distasteful>. Instruments are meant to be treated with love and care. <Peter Townsend's insane instrument destruction of the past century notwithstanding>.

jdto likes this.
  10. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Yeah Man!
    Just when you thought 2017 wouldn't cover that!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

I hear you. I don’t mind the VOS treatment, but I don’t really like the super road worn relic look. That said, I played a heavy relic Tele a couple of days ago that felt soooo sweet. The worn neck and body just felt like a comfortable pair of jeans right away, you know? So I can get why people like them. I admit that a Custom Shop 62 Strat I played which had a relic treatment felt amazing in my hands, too. I just bought a “thin skin” 59 Vintage Strat (the Wildwood special run) that I imagine will wear in more quickly than the heavy poly on modern Strats. That appeals to me as it should get that comfy feeling in a few years. My dad has a 57 Gibson Southern Jumbo that’s been everywhere with him in the past 50-off years (he bought it in 63). That is a real relic, right there.

rednefceleb likes this.
  12. rednefceleb

I figured that they play super well. Like that 'unfinished feeling' on back of the neck.

13. Riffster

Riffster Senior Member

I see it as a look, that's what it is. Most of the dings on my guitars come from transporting them and having them laying around, not from playing them.

Whatever makes your relationship with your guitar deeper is a valid idea.

Let's run through a few scenarios that come to my mind:

- For instance, I know a local musician here in Nashville, a professional that gigs constantly, locally, on tour, he is also guitarist for a big time rock icon and travels the world, he also does touring on cruises, etc. you get the point, well, he has a bunch of guitars and some are reliced. Is he then a poser? a partial poser maybe?

- Buying a used guitar with wear that somebody else put on. If you buy vintage that may be the case, who "earned" the wear?, not the new guy that just bought it even if the guy is a touring musician. Is this new person a poser?

- Stevie Ray Vaughn, Number One Strat, very distressed right? have you seen Live at El Mocambo? if not, you should, and when you do you will see part of why the guitar looks the way it does.

- I refinished a Flying V, a 2004 faded that had been played hard and toured harder, lots of buckle rash, dings and wear. Fantastic guitar. Plastics show their age, so does the nut and fretboard, the finish now looks too new? what to do? to make matters more complicated I got a killer deal of a set of boutique PAFs that came with very aged covers. Damn, this is complicated.

- My R8 is VOS, at the time I bought it the "shiny" version was $400 more. Should I pay more to buy a shiny guitar? no, I did not put the wear on the hardware but I bought that guitar when I got promoted, I worked hard for that promotion, maybe not the romanticized rockstar story behind it but to me the guitar has a very important story.

On the other hand I have a Gibson SG for sale, it looks like a damn piano, beautiful black finish, it has 4 dings that do not go through the finish which I disclosed and you will not believe the tire-kicking going on. I have been offered about half the price these guitars go for simply because the guitar exhibits signs of having been played. A few minor dings have completely destroyed the resale value on it apparently. I'd like to ask who is the poser on this situation? because damned, the guitar sounds great dings and all.

rednefceleb likes this.
  14. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

A guitar that claims to sound better reliced: https://www.pre-warguitars.com/

I've read a lot of good things about them. Would like one if I had $8k to spend.

rednefceleb likes this.
  15. rednefceleb

We play what we like. We like what we like. An 'antiqued guitar' is not a bad guitar.

16. Riffster

Riffster Senior Member

Truth is there is a market for relic guitars, from closet classics to ridiculous heavy wear. I rather deal with the folks that like this stuff than deal with the guys that are offering me 50% of the used price of a guitar because it has 4 dings. That's just me.

rednefceleb likes this.
  17. bungle

bungle Senior Member

Most reliced guitars make me cringe. Natural mojo is one thing but I'm with op I guess.

rednefceleb likes this.
  18. rednefceleb

Yeah. I figured that when I started this thread that there would be many different opinions. I've bought and sold guitars for 50 years and I still never know what draws a particular buyer to a particular instrument. That's the magic of it. There's no one real answer.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  19. rednefceleb

Pardon my ignorance but: what does 'op' mean?

20. rednefceleb

I have noticed a beautiful reliced '59 L.Paul on Reverb. I don't know how to post 'links' so here is the title of this guitar...
    Gibson Les Paul Bill Nash Relic 1959 Flametop Burst <check it out>.