Value of a Les Paul trad. with repaired neck crack???

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by fuzzyfoamrace, Mar 27, 2009.

1. fuzzyfoamrace

fuzzyfoamrace Member

I was in the local Guitar denter and they have 2 identical traditional plus les pauls. One is on clearance for 1699 the other is 2299 i believe. The cheaper one actually has a nicer top and i was very confused. After playing and fallin in love with the sweet tone i had to ask for the down low. The clearance guitar actually had been knocked off a stand and cracked the neck where all les pauls crack. It is absolutely unnoticable unless its in the right light angle. Very nice repair. They first said that was bottom dollar but now are down to $1600 plus tax. It has a real nice top and is in iced tea. Whats it worth?? How will it affect resale value as I seem to buy and resale when somethin new catches my eye. I HAD to sell my beloved blonde beauty to buy a home and NEED a paul. Thanks for anyone who has expierance with this topic or has bought a repaired one.

2. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

For what it's worth, the shop I traded my Les Paul GT GOTW to sold it for 1000 dollars.

I wouldn't pay over 1200 if it really spoke to me.

3. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

Your wife, or your girlfriend?:naughty:

4. sktn77a

sktn77a Senior Member

While the functionality of the guitar my be fine, a broken neck really hurts the (re)sale value - look on e-bay! I agree, $1200 tops (maybe only $1000). But some sucker may come along and pay their asking price.

5. Last

Last The Cleaner Premium Member

While a broken neck is certainly looked at as a HUGE DECREASE in value.

Some will say that it is now stronger than the original neck & also has a better tone.

Not sure about the 2nd opinion but I'm sure the 1st one is correct.

If done correctly (that's the most important part) a broken neck is indeed much stronger than one that's not been broken.

Weird I know but true!

6. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

May be hard to sell later on, fuzzy.

7. fuzzyfoamrace

fuzzyfoamrace Member

THANKS GUYS- maybe i should pass on it???

8. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

Get a better price, buy it, and KEEP IT FOREVER!!!!

9. LEFTY LES

LEFTY LES Banned

Only if your buying to make money from it. If your buying it to play (which I hope you are) and its the "one" why pass it up???

10. asher67

asher67 Senior Member

The guitar lists for about $3,450, so the price of $1,699 is approximately half of the list price. Generally, the dealers' cost is about 55% of the list price, so GC is selling it to you at a loss (from its standpoint).

The $1,699 price, though, is only about 22% lower ($500) than the regular price of $2,200. Some might argue that a guitar with a repaired neck should sell for about half of what the guitar would cost new (I would).

11. GuitarGuy503

GuitarGuy503 Senior Member

Agreed. In general $1,600.00 is pretty steep for a LP with a neck break though. I'd attempt to talk them down on the price due to the fact the neck break is going to kill the resale value of it. You may not plan on ever selling it but theres quite a few people these days unloading gear just because the economy sucks and they can't afford to keep it.

12. Bonehead

Bonehead Senior Member

You can't put an exact price on it, but if one must, my rule is thus: Neck repair = $500 to $700 cheaper than the going rate. I think it's not a bad deal, but I'd offer $1400 and see what they do. You can get an used Standard without a crack for that much.

13. GuitarGuy503

GuitarGuy503 Senior Member

That was my thought as well. For $1,400 - $1,600 you could buy an older LP without a neck crack (perhaps one that even sounds better and feels better when you play it). I'd go in with $1,200.00 cash and offer them 1k first and see what they say. :)

14. Tuxedo Kaz

Tuxedo Kaz Senior Member

As an owner of a Trad (one that I'm selling, btw), if I were in that position, and resale value didn't mean much to me, I'd go for it but only at 1100-1200. Otherwise, no deal. They are very, very good guitars. And I've also heard a repaired neck will sound better, but that's neither here or there.

May I interest you in mine though? Mint condition (almost new) and only $1800.00 shipped. :) http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/mem...son-lp-trad-epi-bc-rich-tubes.html#post674099

15. matchman

matchman Senior Member

also keep this in mind even if A WARRANTY card has never been filled out for that guitar don't count on Gibson ever doing anything for you.
    GC is not a "fair" gauge of fair market price of a new Guitar either.
    6mo Ago I could have got a Traditional or Classic from Fullers Vintage Guitars for $1800.00
    I just went through purchasing a 68 RI off E-bay and UPS cracked the neck. It worked out good for me . I basically got 1/2 my money back after the near prefect repair.
    (mine was de-valued buy 1/3 of what I paid) I was able to provide additional items such as packing and shipping and Higher estimates to get up to 1/2 back (fixed local)
    1/3 to 1/4 off fair market value is fair in my book. = $1200 to $1400

16. Bing17

Bing17 Senior Member

There is no WAY I would relieve GC of their burden for $1600. Let the take a loss now (offer $1200) and write it off (which they could, but wont). It will wind up in the "Memorial Day" sale bin for $1000 if you don't buy it now.