USPS won't pay my insurance claim

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by surge98, Oct 24, 2016.

1. surge98

surge98 Member

Maybe someone here has had a similar situation and can offer some advice. I sold an item on Ebay for $130 and shipped it priority mail with insurance. The tracking says it was delivered, but the buyer contacts me after two weeks to say he hasn't received it. The buyer has thousands of transactions as both a buyer and seller with near-perfect feedback, so I have a hard time believing he would decide now to start scamming people.

I thought I was covered by the insurance, only to find they automatically reject claims if the tracking shows that it was delivered. I assumed that coverage for lost packages extended to packages that were delivered to the wrong address, which is what I suspect happened here. I shipped it to a business address with a mailroom, so it's possible it was sorted incorrectly and delivered to the wrong office. But I noticed that the tracking says "delivered in/at mailbox." A large business with a mailroom would not have a mailbox to leave a package. I don't know if that's standard wording for all deliveries, or if it went somewhere else? The buyer says he's had the mail room look all over for it, with no results.

I can appeal the USPS decision on the insurance claim, but it seems like one of us is screwed. Either I refund his payment and I'm out my item and my money, or I keep his money and tell him tough luck, which isn't fair either. Has anyone gotten an insurance claim paid out in this type of scenario? Thanks.

2. Neofelis Nebulosa

Neofelis Nebulosa Senior Member

I would appeal the decision and ask for the GPS coordinates of the supposed delivery. They should be able to pinpoint the exact location the package was delivered.
    The mail-carrier's scanner is tracked constantly by management in an effort to micro-manage the crap out of the workforce.
    It sounds fishy that the carrier indicated "in/at mailbox" to a business with a mailroom.

3. judson

judson Senior Member

im not an expert but i was under the impression that once it arrived at the destination and was marked as delivered, you as the seller completed your end of the deal....so the buyer may be hosed and you are not at fault....

what does paypal tell you?

4. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Good luck. IME, you'll be dealing with people who hate their job, hate their clients, and are instructed to deny responsibility and pass blame, even in the face of great reason and hard proof.

When you insure something, do it though a third party. A party who has a stake in the outcome of a claim should not be the party who you have to appeal your claim to.

5. surge98

surge98 Member

You're correct, Ebay and Paypal would rule in my favor if he initiated a dispute because the tracking number says it was delivered. Still, that isn't fair to the buyer. This exact same situation happened to me once as a buyet, I eventually gave up on it because it was a small dollar amount. The GPS idea is interesting, I may give that a try. In searching the web, I did find an example of someone who claimed to have gotten an insurance payout after the buyer filled out an affidavit claiming he never received the package. Not sure if this is an official USPS form, or if they went through the trouble of actually drafting a legal document.

6. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

I've been burned by USPS too many times to ever use them again. I cringe every time someone ships me an item through them. Absolutely horrible.

7. oicu812

oicu812 Member

First, insured delivery required signature I thought. You may want to check on that. I lost an item once and it took a year to get the money refunded. Turned out it was carrier error, but nonetheless I learned a lesson.

Now, I only use USPS registered mail on items of value. Everyone that handles the package has to sign for it. If it goes missing, someone's ass is in a sling.

8. surge98

surge98 Member

A signature is only required if you also choose delivery confirmation. I'm going to try to call the local post office closest to the buyer to see if they can provide me with the GPS coordinates of where it was scanned.

9. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Assuming it was. LARGE assumption

10. Razzle

Razzle Senior Member

That’s why for me I never ever ever ever use Unbelievabley Sucky Pathetic Service

I don’t know what’s up with that. I can give you two experiences that might help.

I knew a friend a few years back, a seller, he had a buyer say the item was never received. She opened a case, and lost. Ebay said tracking showed it was received. My friend got lucky.

Just last week tracking for an item I bought off ebay showed delivered but I never got it. Sent the guy a msg, he said “it shows delivered”. Took the tracking notice to the P.O. and got a “duh, whadya want me to do about it, it says delivered”. Then I hit up the post-woman and she said “if it sez it was deliva’d it was deliva’d”. I asked if she recalls scanning the letter, she say “I don’t scan a ting, the gps satellites takes a photo of my jeep when I put it in the mailbox”. I’m thinking…. really? So I was gonna open a case (and prepare to take the woody) but then miraculously it showed up 3 days later. The envelope wasn’t marked “return to sender”. So it was either USPS’s tracking system sux (which I assume they scan the letter when it gets processed for delivery at the P.O.) or some nice person put it back in their mailbox with the flag up and didn’t mark on the letter and the post-woman then delivered it (of course she never came clean).

Basically if we buy something from someone (a store) and there’s a delivery issue, they just issue a credit and send another. (there’s probably less than 1% of all shipments that get messed up like this). But if we buy something on ebay, then it’s back-stab city. I HATE that place and avoid it at all costs, unfortunately I cannot totally avoid it, but typically look for ANY other venue to buy or sell something (like Reverb). Good luck.

11. Sitedrifter

Sitedrifter Senior Member

USPS is terrible by me. I had one mail carrier almost steal an item from me. Made a loop on my cul-de-sac and 2 minutes later the item says it was delivered. Yep, he covered the GPS and was going to steal my item, for sure. Luckily I have the phone number to my local Post office and got a supervisor. He said, there must be some mistake but he will check into it. 20 minutes later the goon shows up and delivers the package to my mailbox and drive away like a maniac. Thieves! FYI, this was a weekend carrier not my normal carrier. I think they hire anyone off the street to work weekends.

12. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

Anything you insure for over 200.00 will require a signature. Under 200 they can drop kick it into the dumpster and mark it as delivered without a signature.

13. Jeremiah

Jeremiah The Worst Premium Member

This happened to me with my Rocksmith cable. Rather than go for a refund, I started calling the local post offices, lo and behold, my package was delivered a week later. Now that was my mistake, because I neglected to put my apartment number on the address and just put the address of my new apartment complex.

I figure one of two things happened: the mailman "found" the package and delivered or the person from the complex who took the package had a crisis of conscious and gave it back

14. Otto tune

Otto tune Senior Member

It's happened to me as a buyer.
    I went to the Post Office in person and asked immediately for a SUPERVISOR.
    He couldn't have been nicer. I gave him the tracking number, he put it in the computer and said, "Is this your house?" It was like a map of my street with black outlines of houses.
    Like a B&W Google Earth view.
    At first it was confusing, but then I saw how my lot is bigger, and the shape of my house stood out. "Wait, no, that's my neighbor's house".
    He contacted the mailman, had him go back, retrieve the package and I had it hours later.
    I guess when they scan "delivered", it wi-fi's a GPS coordinate to the PO's software.
    Talking to the person at the counter gets you nowhere.

Although I live in a large city, my neighborhood post office is small.

15. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

There is absolutely NO WAY you could know that.

16. jtees4

jtees4 Senior Member

Insurance in most cases is a scam, especially with USPS. UPS and FedEx are better, but still not easy when something goes wrong. They often find ways out of paying a claim. I self insure my stuff at this point, insurance can double the cost of a package....and then they fight you on it anyway....and often get you on a technicality. Not worth it to me.

17. pedecamp

pedecamp Senior Member

This happened to me with a bad outcome. Insured package through USPS, the receiver says he never got it but USPS says they delivered it and wont pay the insurance. I appealed several times and they ran me ragged for a year to resolve this to the point I wore out and gave up. Fortunately the receiver said dont worry about it but I was still pissed off that I paid insurance and USPS didnt honor it. What a scam I'll never use them again.

18. jtees4

jtees4 Senior Member

I still use USPS for small items BUT I gave up on them for anything of value. About 5 years ago I bought a guitar. It was delivered to me with ZERO packaging....just a guitar in a gig bag with a label stuck on the front. I could not believe they would accept a package like that! I use FedEx for shipping guitars and have not had a problem in all those years.

19. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

I used to sell a lot of guitar stuff, and use USPS exclusively to ship.

I have had two instances where I had to make an insurance claim, and both times, I was paid out quickly, and with no unreasonable rigamarole.

One time it was a p-bass body which was badly chipped, in spite of my packing job, and they paid me out, and let the guy keep the damaged goods, which made him doubly pleased. Free body to refinish.

I don't personally know anyone who has successfully collected on insurance from fedex or ups, and their negligence with deliveries is well documented on youtube.

20. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

I have USPS tracked items delivered to me at my home. But they were not addressed to me! In one case, I went across town and delivered the package myself. The addressee was quite pleased as they thought they had been screwed.