USPS Missing Guitar

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Roxy13, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

Our local postal employees are great. I live out in the "rural routes" of a town that only has about 500 people (and more than 500 cows). So we all know each other. One of my parrots has a crush on the mail lady so she will come in and say hello to him. He has a thing for chubby blondes with glasses. He also really likes the computer nerd chick from Criminal Minds, at least before she died her hair red. That chick looks like she could be the mail lady's daughter.

I Break Things and Stinky Kitty like this.
  2. nasticanasta

nasticanasta Junior Member

I realized this later lol....glad everything worked out for him, I've been a seller on eBay since 2004, there was a lot of misinformation in this thread, and reverb has the same safeguards set up, in fact I thought it was far easier to deal with than eBay, eBay owns PayPal too! The only time anyone is paying to return something is when it's just wanting to return as opposed to damaged or wrong items, most of the time eBay will just send you a link for a shipping label. Always read the auction cafully. Failure could cost you.

3. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

Her :)

S. Rock, Stinky Kitty and parts like this.
  4. TubesNtone

TubesNtone Junior Member

FedEx Be prepared to have your box reboxed at the shipping center. I left a package I had put together like I would do for a USPO mailing, and since the top had a slight upwards/downwards look they took it, reboxed it, and charge me $75 bucks. I had already paid the shipping through eBay and when I went into their offices I put it on their scale and they said fine as they were busy...if you ever use them you must have perfectly square packages, and or use their boxes...

5. Deadletteroffice

Deadletteroffice Senior Member

I ordered a guitar from Sweetwater about a year ago that shipped and then completely disappeared for like 2 weeks. I was freaking out but it was not really SW's fault so we waited it out and one day it just arrived like nothing was wrong. Even when it showed up it didn't track that it would show that day, and the tracking never detailed where it had been. For all I know it went around the globe by mistake. Or it could have been sitting in a warehouse 6 blocks from me for 10 days. UPS had no real explanation other than sometimes packages get on a wrong truck or put on a wrong plane or get in a pile to be held at a location even though it wasn't supposed to and it takes however long it takes for somebody to realize it's a lost child and to send it on it's correct path. So I've been there and it's a very odd place to be. No real clear answer how to deal with it though. If it was from a private seller though I would for sure contact Reverb and ask for their advice and find out what their policy is so that you don't miss any deadlines to file a claim if you need to.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Roxy13 likes this.
  6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Senior Member

I sold Chicago Music a guitar , shipped it with signature confirmation & insurance.
    USPS dropped it off w/o a signature, then CME lost the guitar in storage LOL.
    They found it about 6 weeks later in some remote corner under boxes !

Roxy13 likes this.
  7. spoony

spoony Senior Member

Let me share my USPS horror story!

Sold a tele once fully insured that got lost in the postal service for over a month. The buyer backed out of the sale which I completely understood. The tracking stopped working half way between me and the buyer. I complained profusely and when I put in a claim the guitar miraculously showed up at my local USPS in a few days.

When it was returned the box was undamaged but some of the tape looked different and I could tell there were less peanuts then what I shipped it with. It was shipped in an oversized Martin box.

When I opened the box the case had been damaged, the guitar had dents and grimy finger prints all over.
    Took the guitar back down to the office and resubmitted my claim. I had good photo documentation of the guitars condition prior to shipping and my claim was still
    denied. I contacted everyone I could at the USPS with no positive result. I even contacted the Postmaster general and got no help. It was a very frustrating and costly ordeal.

I don't know how a person can ship a guitar or anything else for that matter and expect to be made whole when something goes wrong. I have heard these kind of stories with all the carriers. Next time I have to ship something I plan on going to a UPS store and paying them to box the item up, buying insurance and taking as much photo documentation as I can. But I still have no faith I will be protected when something like this happens.

S

8. Dave_W

Dave_W Senior Member

eBay and PayPal separated into independent companies 3 years ago.

scott 351 wins likes this.
  9. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I can't like your post after all that :(

It also makes me wonder what should we do? Not buy online anymore? The guitar i bought was an 80s MIJ and they aren't exactly common to find on CL, at least not around here. I also have a guitar I want to sell and it might not go locally either.

I read the post also about the person that had the UPS issue with Sweetwater. When I buy from them they use FedEx and I get it the next day since I'm close by. But, yes, I could go buy it in person as well and pay the sales tax. Might be safer, although as the buyer I have more protection than as the seller.

10. Rds

Rds Senior Member

I've had great experiences mostly online. Did have couple of weird ones. You sure have to ask questions and not assume anything. I bought an american strat from a reverb seller and do you know this guy was NOT! going to require a signature???? Do you believe that crap. So I pressed him and he said he paid the extra $2.50 to require a signature so my guitar doesn't get left on the porch and stollen. Here is a picture of what I found when I got home. It's a miracle it didn't get stolen. I am a Les Paul player just got a strat in case once in awhile I want that sound. IMG_20180104_164542815_HDR.jpg

Roxy13 likes this.
  11. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I'm retired so I knew I would be here provided they had updated the tracking. At any rate, i usually am here. But, as a seller, I think it would be a good idea for me.

12. dmvksv

dmvksv Senior Member

I've had three packages from Amazon showing they were delivered by USPS that I never recieved. I've also had two instances of packages that were guaranteed to be delivered on a certain date that the USPS claimed they couldn't deliver because my mailbox was inaccessible. There is no parking on my street and on one of the days I was home all day and know for a fact the mailbox wasn't blocked. I even seen the mail truck drive by that day. They have a online form you can fill out requesting re-delivery, two days is the shortest time frame they allow. I left a really nasty comment explaining how they flat out lied. They delivered the package the next day.

Roxy13 likes this.
  13. DeeCee

DeeCee Senior Member

My tales, just for the craic.

Bought a bespoke bass on ebay off a luthier in Italy. He had only just started trading and I bought a prototype. He posted and I tracked it as far as Milan where it disappeared off the radar. We agreed to wait a week or so. Two weeks later, still no tracking so I asked for a refund. He told me I'd have to wait until he opened a claim on his insurance. I wasn't prepared to wait X amount of months so I opened a claim. He freaked. I got my money back and I hope he did, too.

Next one was me shipping an ES335 CCR to Spain. Buyer didn't want to pay insurance. Guitar gets to UK national hub and disappears. Buyer then wants his money back, even though no insurance taken (I learned a lesson off of that). I instigated a search and Parceforce eventually found it.....in a cage in a corner of a warehouse with all tracking docs removed! Buyer eventually gets his geetar.

And, finally, an example of a seller sending via standard, untracked, uninsured international postage. Bought a Warwick Dolphin from Canadian seller and paid full insurance and priority tracked shipping. Then the bass disappears a few stops later at Halifax. After two weeks, no bass. I open a case and seller stops responding. Miraculously, another week later, the bass turns up. Amazingly, it had totally skipped UK customs but as I was looking at the freight docket I noticed that he'd only paid for standard international postage, the bastard!

The horror stories will never end and are still popping up on the 'net.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Roxy13 likes this.
  14. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I've had a substitute mail lady for a couple of months. She won't bring me any package that doesn't fit in the mail box because "someone told her my dog is dangerous and will get her." I found this out when I managed to stop her at my mailbox one morning. Ok, my dog is potentially dangerous but in 6 years I haven't let her bite anyone because I'm not irresponsible enough to take that chance. When I had a larger package I would crate my dog and walk outside to meet the regular mail lady and everything went fine. This new one writes on each slip, "Attempted delivery". She hasn't attempted any. I, too, want her to just say the truth like, "I'm afraid of dogs".

15. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

USPS seems to be the only carrier I’ve had issues with too. Nothing major, just a few late deliveries and inaccurate tracking information. FedEx is my preferred carrier.

freebyrd 69 and Roxy13 like this.
  16. StudioFan

StudioFan Member

So you ordered a guitar and got a guitar.

80s MIJ ???? WTH.

Is this the USPS forum ?

17. efstop

efstop Senior Member

Be careful while traipsing through the Backstage, mkay?

Roxy13 likes this.
  18. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I'll assume you haven't yet discovered what this area is for, nor have you found the sub-forum largely dedicated to MIJ guitars (although technically it is for any single cut not made by Gibson or Epiphone).

Apparently he got lost and has an attitude.

19. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Member

Glad you got your axe! USPS was quite helpful to me when a guy in Texas tried to sell me a broken G-400 a couple of years ago. He was trying to scam them for the insurance, but had used the same trick of shipping an already broken item before apparently. The tracking thing is not unique to USPS. Had the same trouble with FedEx tracking recently.

Roxy13 likes this.
  20. 80lpkustom

80lpkustom Junior Member

This is why I don't usually buy guitars over the internet, especially if they're expensive. I've read one to many horror stories of guys getting ripped off and/or the parcel is lost or stolen etc.

Happy to hear you received it okay.

Roxy13 likes this.