USPS Missing Guitar

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Roxy13, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Lonnie P Junior

Lonnie P Junior Junior Member

I would be severely pissed at this point. If all else fails, you will eventually get your money back. That's why Paypal charges their fee. I guess even USPS makes mistakes but it's hell waiting to find out the outcome. Sorry to hear of your trouble. I know how you feel.

2. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

I used to buy stuff on ebay and the seller would immediately print a label, but the item would take several days to get into the shipper's system. I think most of this was that the lazy ass seller didn't go right out and drop it off at the shipper. The system acknowledges the existence of the item as soon as the label prints. However, there is nothing else until it gets physically into their possession.

Lately, using USPS, I see nothing on their website when trying to track. However, I sign up to get updates via text and things start showing up (seems to be within 48 hours of delivery).

3. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

Ebay would have done the same to you though. And made you pay the return shipping (and actually whatever the buyer said it was. So it could cost $35, the buyer can say it was $70 and ebay will force you to reimburse them despite the item showing up at your home with a label showing exactly what this person spent on the return shipping). As a seller, they both suck :( I know for a fact by selling on ebay that someone can buy something from you, completely destroy it and then not only return it for a full refund but totally jack you on the return shipping as well and ebay lets them do it. So I try to use CL first but you do also get a lot of rotten apples there as well.

4. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Senior Member

The RULE of law is that a seller is financially responsible UNTIL the item you bought is HANDED TO YOU (by the seller or HIS hired shipping agent.) First thing is cancel the payment with who ever you made it though, cite that you have never received the purchase item and it is lost in shipping to you. Then notify the seller that you have done so and remind him that by law, you are not the owner until it's delivered to you. Lastly, remember the USPS is filled with unscrupulous people as recent News Stories on local and national News has illustrated of employees stealing mail, destroying it, burning. NEVER ship anything valuable via the USPS, this ain't the 1800's USPS where integrity was number 1.

5. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter

Last check 30 minutes ago showed no updates. Mailman just left package on front porch. Of course NOW, tracking updates immediately.

You are better off asking Miss Cleo for tracking than relying on USPS updates. :rofl:

electric head and Roxy13 like this.
  6. D_Rowell

D_Rowell Junior Member

7. JiminFlorida

JiminFlorida Junior Member

This seems to be a growing problem with the USPS system. I bought a guitar from a seller in Wisconsin (I live in Florida); during its journey, it passed through Illinois, Kentucky, and Georgia, then unexpectedly headed west to Arkansas and Oklahoma. Several calls to the USPS in Washington, DC finally resulted in it being located and re-routed to me. My theory is that there is a ring of thieves in some of their depots who intercept and re-route guitar-shaped boxes to specific centers, figuring the sender will file an insurance claim and all will be forgiven. Bunch of thieves.

8. D_Rowell

D_Rowell Junior Member

As suggested, I would go through Reverb and PayPal to get my money back. It is up to the seller to file a missing package claim with USPS. I had an experience shipping a guitar I sold where the USPS tracking showed it was out for delivery in the state I was shipping to (Florida from California) for a week or so past the expected delivery date. I filed a missing package claim with USPS. Then it was delivered a couple days later. For months I kept getting emails from USPS saying they had not found the package. You'd think they could access their own tracking information showing it was delivered. Although I have shipped some guitars with USPS, I prefer UPS.

9. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

Of course that thought went through my mind, that someone might have helped him/herself to it, but thankfully it didn't happen.

10. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I guess I better point out again that the guitar did suddenly show up on Monday and is no longer missing. Many today have posted again about suggesting I contact reverb (I did on Saturday) and file a dispute, but it is in fact here.

cherrysunburst00 and no jimmy p like this.
  11. dexterchops

dexterchops Junior Member

I had a similar moment when the pedal I bought arrived and had just a cable inside. I had been following it and it seemed to linger in Newark. The seller claimed the pedal was in the box. I assume a USPS theft because the tape had been redone and was only top sealed not on the ends which the seller said was his norm. Ebay went thru it's claim motions and investigated the seller and the details the seller lost on this one, I was refunded through p/p. It's just too much sometimes./ choose your carrier carefully if you have a choice, I guess.

12. no jimmy p

no jimmy p Silver Supporter

Glad things worked out .
    In a previous life , I worked at a small used/vintage guitar shop . We sold a '59 ES-355 to Dave 's Guitar Shop . He recommended we ship via USPS as a registered item . Registered items get special handling and are secured overnight differently than regular mail . I believe the cost was over $100 but we were shipping a $15000 guitar . The guitar arrived in 3 days , w/out an issue . We were also advised not to get the insurance because they (USPS) never pay the claims . I usually use USPS or FedEx and have not had an issue and I've shipped at least a dozen guitars and amps recently .

Roxy13 likes this.
  13. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

Last week, I was eagerly awaiting a parcel, via USPS. I got the text saying it was out for delivery. I happen to be home when the mailman pulled up. I watched him scan the package and put it in the box. As I started walking towards the door, I got a text telling me that my package was delivered (less than 10 seconds from when he scanned the package).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Roxy13 and NotScott like this.
  14. Shelbyblues

Shelbyblues Senior Member

I bought a Les Paul off eBay about 8 years ago that was supposed to be shipped UPS. When the seller found out UPS was going to cost twice as much as the listed shipping charges he had in the ad he shipped USPS instead.

It took 14 days to travel 350 miles!

Their tracking is an illusion. I started getting nervous and think I finally called USPS around the 10th day, but I might as well been talking to a fence post. She couldn't tell me anything other than it hadn't been long enough and to call back in a few more days if it didn't show up.

Not long enough! Hell I could have crawled there on my hands and knees picked it up and crawled back by then.

I won't buy any big ticket item such as a guitar/amp from anyone anymore if it's being shipped USPS.

Roxy13 and Tone deaf like this.
  15. Db9091

Db9091 Junior Member

My experience of 20 years buying and selling my gear journey:

eBay: not supportive
    PayPal: go work it out with the 3rd party (and good luck putting a STOP at your bank. They change their name so they can ALWAYS slip a charge through to your acount. You need to ONLY use a Credit Card through their service so you can put a stop with your card's bank)
    Reverb: Awesome, but a bit expensive on charges.
    USPS: Mostly good. Occasionally gives your neighbor your mail.
    UPS: Only had a prob once and the shipper re-sent a new one. Never found the original. Probably lost it's address slip.
    FedEx: You'll get it... sometime. I've maybe gotten a shipment on time a few times. Mostly they go "no sig" and send it back.
    Now they offer dropoffs at local centers or Walgreen's in NC. But the latest package, they wouldn't let me nor the shipper with a commercial FedEx account change it except to a shipping center. Not a very local place, and that delayed the shipment 2 days. They don't refund, either, if a you pay for a day and it arrives 3 days later.
    They see white on the gound and they shut down for a week in NC. Meanwhile UPS and USPS at most close a day. Often they still deliver.
    DHL: This was before they went bankrupt. Don't know what they are today. But back then, a bunch of gorilla's delivered stuff. They could bend a purchased steel bed frame, no kidding. They are amazing at bending your shipments. Back then.

Roxy13 likes this.
  16. Mark V Guitars

Mark V Guitars バナナフライング... MLP Vendor

Pics of the guitar?

Roxy13 and radarlove like this.
  17. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I still need to take some, lol! So far all I've taken are pics of the less than stellar refret on it! Here is one from the seller for you.

[​IMG]

18. electric head

electric head Just passing thru Premium Member

Nice guitar..

Geeez the USPS must bring out all the Jr members in one day..
    Hell some of these posters have been here for years and have less than 20 posts..

Roxy13 likes this.
  19. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

Must have struck a chord...pun intended!

I guess many of us have had a missing guitar courtesy of the USPS.

20. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

I've been very fortunate (so far) with all carriers. Granted USPS tracing is cryptic at best, if at all. My US postal service carrier even knows to leave non signature required items behind the bushes next to the door when I'm not here. Probably doesn't hurt that I give him the occasional soda when he comes to the door.