USPS Missing Guitar

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Roxy13, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

No, not MF although any small packages they send me seem to take awhile. This was an allegedly used mandolin but it sure seemed new. I got a good deal on that one.

Ugh!

2. staffy

staffy Senior Member

Man I would love to do the Macau thing, but they are a bit expensive over here in OZ ,just a pair of those blue and gold fella's would be great .Hyacinth are pretty rare over here but beautiful BIG birds l would jump at the chance to breed them.

Roxy13 likes this.
  3. nasticanasta

nasticanasta Junior Member

Reverb has the same buyer protection as eBay, contact Reverb, if you didn't receive it and the shipping shows it wasn't delivered, you have nothing to worry about. This is his problem not yours, he should have insured it, you get your money back.

4. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

The guitar was received, read page 2.

Roxy13 likes this.
  5. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter

And just like clockwork, as soon as I post on this thread about my experiences with USPS, I have a Priority Mail package that was originally scheduled for yesterday now saying "Sign up to get updates, and we'll send you a delivery date and time when available.":mad2:

How does a package go from a Regional Origin Facility showing it is in transit to my address and then 25 hours later, show that it is back at a local post office waiting for "acceptance"?

The USPS really needs some competent people, not unionized grocery baggers. :mad2::mad2::mad2:

Roxy13 likes this.
  6. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

Yes, it was received and in perfect condition :)

Needs a refret, but I knew that was a possibility going in. Otherwise, I am very happy with it.

7. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I had signed up for updates and never even got the first text that I was supposed to reply to so they knew it was the right phone number. USPS tracking needs a serious revamp.

NotScott likes this.
  8. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter

Did you sign up for Informed Delivery, expecting to get more details? How did you like the questions they asked to "verify your identity"? You would think a company with all of that data on every person that has ever received mail would be able to make some money. And yet, they operate every year in the red. :hmm:

9. moosie

moosie Junior Member

Glad you got the guitar. For future reference, one thing I would do is request a copy of the USPS acceptance receipt. Not everyone will have saved theirs, but it shows the actual date and time of the over-the-counter scan - even if the label was purchased online. It also shows the cost, destination city, and the weight. A tracking number posted to Reverb could be anything at all, like a box of rocks.

It's not foolproof by any means, but is a nice confirmational piece when doubts arise. While it can be tempting to drop off smaller packages by dumping them in the USPS bin, I always wait at the counter to hand them my prepaid package, for just this reason. Then I photograph the receipt, so I can't lose it. When *any* question arises involving shipping, first thing I do is forward that to the buyer.

electric head and NotScott like this.
  10. AllenMcB

AllenMcB Junior Member

The actual system at USPS works very well, the problem seems to be with postal carrier follow-through. We ship thousands of gear-related items each year, using primarily USPS and UPS.

The UPS folks are excellent at scanning each and every package, since each and every package has a bar code, and if one is missed, it's caught on one of the transit lines at the terminal.
    USPS not so much. They pick up boxes of mail that are mixed. Some need to be scanned, some don't. The difference in volume also (I would imagine) adds to the slip-ups in the USPS follow-through. USPS carries way, way more volume than UPS. More volume, more potential for error. Not saying that's an excuse, but just greater potential for error when packages are mixed and higher volume.

Almost every week we get calls from customers who are worried because their purchase shows postage being purchased, but never picked up. If I was the customer, I'd be concerned as well. But, in every instance, all the tracking pops up later in the process, sometimes as late as the delivery date. USPS carriers are very good about scanning the actual delivery, and it may be my imagination, but that somehow seems to prompt the other scans to update on the tracking page.

As far as Reverb goes, they are head and shoulders above the other third-party selling platforms in terms of customer service. If you have a concern, hit the chat button on Reverb, and someone there will help out. We became Reverb sellers early on, and I've noticed that Reverb isn't skewed toward the buyer or the seller, they are straight down the middle on doing what seems right, based on the data they have about the transaction. We sell on eBay (20+ years), Amazon, our website, and Reverb. If I had to drop two platforms, it wouldn't be our website or Reverb. :)

Happy trails.

Hogie34 and electric head like this.
  11. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I don't recall seeing an option for informed delivery. I just remember it being offered as either text or email and I chose text. Then it said I would get a confirmation text I needed to reply "Yes" to, and it never came.

Thanks for the info. As for the actual tracking his drop off and then it finally showing up to me were the only times the scans gave that information (well, most of it like day and time and place). The label on the box does indicate that what he paid for shipping is the same amount I paid.

12. jtees4

jtees4 Senior Member

USPS is terrible at updating their tracking stuff....the items usually get there, but the tracking is for crap. I'm late to the thread, but I was going to tell you to give it time and ignore the tracking, works for me every time. Glad you got it!

kfowler8 and Roxy13 like this.
  13. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I really appreciate everyone's support here. I wasn't sure if I was being a whiny, crying bitch who hadn't waited long enough, or if I was justified in being concerned.

14. mrw55

mrw55 Junior Member

I would take my case to Reverb:
    https://reverb.com/page/reverb-protection
    https://help.reverb.com/hc/en-us/ar...em-or-the-item-I-receive-is-not-as-described-

15. Tinpan

Tinpan Member

USPS will not put a trace on an item until 2 weeks after the item has entered the system. I had about the same thing happen and it literally took 2 weeks to get my Les Paul from a seller in NY to me in AZ by way of USPS. USPS is terrible on large packages, IMHO. All you can really do is wait it out and get all your paperwork together. I would also keep the communications going with the seller and Reverb as that is an evidence trail of the problem. Good luck - and sorry to hear it happened to somebody else.

16. northernbreed

northernbreed Senior Member

FWIW, like some others here, I would never ship a guitar via USPS. Ever.

Rorer714 likes this.
  17. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I'm leery based on my 3 bad experiences with larger, expensive items.

I do have a friend though who works for UPS and he won't use them to ship one based on what he sees everyday regarding the handling of packages.

Of course he also predicted FedEx would totally destroy the Avatar cab I bought and it arrived without a single ding in the box. So despite it weighing in a bit over 80lb they handled it with care and got it to me across the country in 3 days.

18. Rorer714

Rorer714 Junior Member

I'd stop using USPS. There are other, better alternatives.

19. jageya

jageya Senior Member

reverb is not that great. I sold a guitar on there.It was mint vox guitar. The buyer said he really wanted it and we agreed on a price..he got it and said he didnt want it so per reverb he returned it. It had a ding in it that was not there and some other scratches. Nothing i could do and reverb refunded his $$.

20. TimmyP1955

TimmyP1955 Junior Member

USPS tracking is useless. Usually it shows that the parcel has shipped, then there are no updates. Then the parcel arrives. Some times it arrives sooner than expected, sometimes it is surprisingly slow.