USPS Missing Guitar

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Roxy13, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Uncle Remus

Uncle Remus Silver Supporter

The only carrier that has yet to demolish something that I sold on reverb. East of the Rockies they are all I use. Farther west priority mail gets much more expensive.

2. RustyNuts

RustyNuts Premium Member

If only they would come up with a real tracking system. What they have now is a joke.

3. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I have inspected the guitar and thankfully it made it through this unscathed! What a relief.

I'm just not having good luck at all with USPS on large, expensive items. This is the third time I've had a problem now so I'm not inclined toward warm, fuzzy feelings toward them.

Just happy it's here and undamaged :) I haven't had time to give it a whirl yet plugged in, or to fully check each fret, but so far I think I might get away with a level and crown on it and that the frets are better than they looked in the photos. Keeping my fingers crossed.

4. Kashmir

Kashmir Senior Member

After seeing so many horror stories in here, I'm afraid to sell my guitars through the mail. I'm looking to sell a few too.

5. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

And there is your problem. I swear the regional Detroit post depot is a black hole for items. I had never lost a package until I moved to the Detroit metro. Now I lose one about about once a year.

You may not have control in this but I would never purchase an item of any value that was shipped through USPS. Their customer service has no incentive to help you.

NiteGoat likes this.
  6. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I probably should have asked the seller what shipping service he was going to use, but I did not. So bad on me for that one.

The Detroit sort facility does have a bad track record for suddenly going on unofficial strikes. They aren't allowed by law to strike so what they do instead is show up but only do maybe 5% of their work each day for 1-2 weeks. Just a couple of weeks ago we only got mail down here one day so I know they were up to that again.

NiteGoat and kfowler8 like this.
  7. judson

judson Senior Member

:photos::photos::photos::photos::photos:

8. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I will in a little while. Right now my 4 parrots are out of their cages so they can fly around and have some freedom. I do need to supervise them though or someone might decide to eat a piece of wood furniture or make a next cavity in the couch :)

Two of them sometimes decide to bug each other through divebombing. Generally Pete the Amazon decides to do it to Oobie, one of the Greys. Then Oobie has to get even once her fright passes and she will go divebomb Pete.

9. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

Sounds like we have had totally different experiences. That deal with my customers paperwork was just dumb. I've never had a package just disappear with UPS or FedEx.

MichaelAndrew3435 likes this.
  10. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

I bought a set of vintage handplanes off a guy on Ebay one time. He shipped them via USPS and they got "stuck" at the Allen Park depot. I called and called with no luck. Finally a lady tells me the box was damaged and was shipped to Atlanta. What???? The facility is like 5 minutes from where I work. I told the lady I could have just picked them up.

Of course the planes were never to be seen from again. They ended up being totally lost. Fortunately the guy I bought them from was really cool and refunded me my money.

NiteGoat likes this.
  11. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

That totally stinks. I'm glad you at least got your money back.

12. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

Glad everything worked out!!

On a side note I also would not use USPS for the delivery of a guitar. But you'll hear people that won't use Fedex or UPS too so at the end of the day it doesn't mean much.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    cherrysunburst00 and Roxy13 like this.
  13. staffy

staffy Senior Member

Hey I know what you mean, at the moment I have a house full of eclectus parrots, 6 plus one just about to fledge , it can be bedlam sometimes.

Roxy13 likes this.
  14. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I have a friend who may breed her Hyacinth macaws. She is very busy running a seasonal business from the late spring until fall so she has asked if I would help raise them if she does it. It would be exciting to help raise them I think.

I have 2 Congo Greys, an Amazon and a Nanday Conure. All but the conure are rescues.

BlankinLoud likes this.
  15. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter

Anybody with parrots and USPS problems sounds like me. :thumb: I have lived with a Congo Grey for 21 years. They are smart little buggers. I tell people it's like having a talking dog.

As for USPS, their tracking is next to useless. As miraculously as things appear, they disappear. Since November, they have lost 3 packages of mine. One disappeared in the notorious black hole known as the Jacksonville sort facility for over a week. I called and filed a report. It showed up at my house in two days. You do not have to be the sender to call and inquire about a lost or delayed package.

Two other packages I was waiting on changed tracking after being delayed. They were said to be "address incorrect or illegible". Once again, I called and filed a complaint. Once again, within two days they were at my door, both with pristine and correct addresses. I actually waited by my door for my mail carrier when the last one arrived. When I explained to her what had happened, she took out my package, we both saw the label and all she had to say was "I don't know what that girl was doing with my route yesterday."

Although USPS can be lackadaisical, they are usually consistent with their delivery times and I have never received anything damaged via USPS, which is much more than I can say for UPS.:mad2:

Here are a couple tips for future dealings with USPS:

1) If you need to call and want to reach a real person, use this number 678-279-7980. When you call, the message doesn't say it's USPS but it is. They will tell you there is a long wait so take the call-back option. They do return calls faster than waiting on hold. When you do get a live person, once they take care of your needs, ask them for the REAL number of your local post office. If you ever need to contact them, that publicly listed number you will find just goes to an answering machine.

2) The surest way to piss off a postal employee and insure your package never gets to its destination is to try and take a picture inside the post office. Nobody has been able to tell me the precise statute it violates but the last time I tried it, the lovely union hack behind the register threatened to have me arrested. So, unless you enjoy attention and drama, best photograph your package outside the post office.

If I had not worked for UPS in my college days, USPS would be my last choice for shipping anything important.

Dan Gibbs and Roxy13 like this.
  16. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I live outside a very small town. So I have taken pics in the post office and no one thought it was the slightest big odd. It was because I had to have proof of the package being returned with the tracking number on it for something.

And I also have their real phone number because they gave it to me :) We all know each other by name here.

cherrysunburst00 and NotScott like this.
  17. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter

I miss small-town life. I live in Broward County Florida. Yeah, THAT place. :rolleyes:

Roxy13 likes this.
  18. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I grew up in a large city, but I have no urge to go back.

Malikon and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  19. wildhawk1

wildhawk1 Senior Member

Sound like Musicians Friend.

Noticed they're using regular mail vs. UPS for smaller items these days.

Ship from KS. I'm in WI.

I've seen several shipments go hundreds of miles east of me then make a U-turn.

o_O

20. gcbike

gcbike Silver Supporter

It took from the 5th to the 26th of this month to get one pack of checks from New Jersey to Ohio and because I had already reported them missing they had to be destroyed. So yes usps certainly has a problem.And I used to work for them.P.S they throw packages into carts like basketballs.