USPS Missing Guitar

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Roxy13, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I would like to know how the rest of you would handle this. I bought a guitar on Reverb from a private seller and he shipped it February 12. The tracking shows it was dropped off that day. On the 13, 14 and 15 tracking updated to say it had left the next facility and was in transit to me, but none of those say where it was.

Since the 15th, nothing.

I asked the seller a couple of days ago if he would call USPS and open a case. He says he tried and they wouldn't do anything. I don't know if I believe him. I had a similar issue around 3 months ago with a mandolin I bought that USPS just kept sending east until it hit NJ (I'm in Ohio, seller was in KS) and then it too disappeared off tracking. The seller called, it got rerouted and I had it 2 days later. I also had a similar issue when I sold an equestrian saddle that also disappeared off tracking for a week. I called, opened a case, it was located and got to the buyer 2 days later.

What would the rest of you do? Wait? How long? I know when I opened a case as the seller they told me I couldn't file for the insurance claim until it had been 3 weeks. But, at least it got them to find the item and get it to the buyer.

Attached Files:

Sct13 and Bytor1958 like this.
  2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Yeah I'd be on the phone making peoples lives miserable until I had an acceptable solution.

Frogfur, yamariv, framos and 17 others like this.
  3. Malikon

Malikon Henshin! V.I.P. Member

I'd probably just get my money back and let the seller deal with it. Hopefully you bought it with a card or paypal or something where it's easy to get your money back.

if it shows up I'd 'buy it again',..if not? Oh well, you got your money back already.

Frogfur, bcole, JohnnyN and 8 others like this.
  4. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I don't have the seller's phone number. All I can do is message him through Reverb, which hasn't gotten me anywhere other than him saying he called and they can't do anything.

5. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I did use paypal. However, once you file a claim they will give the vendor 3-4 weeks to respond. And of course it could show up before they even step in at all.

6. Malikon

Malikon Henshin! V.I.P. Member

then you just close the case.

either way I'd be trying to get my money back, now.

I had a similar issue with eBay and a leather briefcase. It disappeared. I contacted the seller and got no response. I waited a couple more days then filed a claim. Suddenly I got a response and the briefcase showed up shipped from Amazon over-night, so I closed the claim.

Some funny business was going on with that (because I'd ordered it on ebay and he was ignoring my messages when like 2 weeks had gone by (2 weeks after the day it was supposed to be delivered), and still no briefcase),..then suddenly it shows up overnight shipped from Amazon. :hmm:

Anyway I closed the claim and let him keep the money because I got the item I'd ordered. But it was a shady situation.

you said:

"I asked the seller a couple of days ago if he would call USPS and open a case. He says he tried and they wouldn't do anything. I don't know if I believe him. "

....yeah, not buying that at all. I'd start the refund process.

Frogfur, NiteGoat, Mockbel and 5 others like this.
  7. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

just file a claim with reverb under "item never received." and get your money back. I wouldn't totally doubt the seller because shipping companies rarely will accept any responsibility because by doing so it makes it much easier for you to leverage them.

if you receive it, return to sender.

8. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Yep....what Mal said. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

9. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I just chatted with Reverb and they are going to look into it. So I will give that a couple of day and if nothing happens come Monday I will escalate it.

10. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

USPS has some sort of form for everything. Fill out the form and they will act.

PermissionToLand and truckermde like this.
  11. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

I'd wait a bit, these things take time.

[​IMG]

Pesh, Heppe, Blue Blood and 9 others like this.
  12. Seven

Seven Silver Supporter

Had a similar thing happen with a speaker cab I bought on reverb. I opened a case through chat and had my money back very fast.

13. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I'm willing to give it a little more time. I has only been missing technically for 9 days.

I had to file a PP dispute against Crimson Guitars too, but I did give them the 45 days to ship, and I did send them 4 emails that they decided not to respond to. And guess what happened after I got my refund? It showed up out of the blue with no tracking number or anything and then I had to refuse it.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  14. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I feel like I've had some real shit luck lately when it comes to music items.

15. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

Update! It's at my post office :) Never updated once past the 15th until this morning.

Going to go get it now unless I get there and find a smashed in box. Taking my phone in case I need to take photos.

16. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

Box looks fine, but I am going to let it acclimate for a few hours. We are currently just above freezing and it must have come in this morning from Detroit.

17. LtDave32

LtDave32 Desert Star Guitars Super Mod Premium Member MLP Vendor

Excellent!

Glad you finally got it.

18. Uncle Remus

Uncle Remus Silver Supporter

Always call your postmaster in these situations. I have done it twice with great results. Once he brought it to my house himself.

Roxy13 likes this.
  19. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

It sucks for you and the seller, if he is a reputable one. You have to wait it out, IMO, but be diligent about your dates. USPS is THE WORST. They always deliver mail to the wrong god#amn house at my place. I had a customer try to 2nd day me some paperwork via USPS.....I got it 8 business days later. Be patient.

MichaelAndrew3435 likes this.
  20. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Not my experience at all, in fact I prefer them.