using gibons pots on an epiphone les paul?

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by mentaldisorder3, Sep 4, 2017.

1. mentaldisorder3

mentaldisorder3 Junior Member

I just want to know if these pots will work, if so, do i use the :

a.) Long-Shaft CTS pots

b.) Standard-Shaft CTS pots

also, would installing these pots, get rid of the coil splitting function of the epiphone probucker pickups?

i am planning on replacing the pickups, but dont have the money to do it just yet. i would like to keep the coil splitting, but would be okay with losing it.

here is the link for the pots im planning on purchasing: STEWMAC POTS

as you can see, there are two options for either standard or long shaft.

thank you!

2. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

I normally buy long shaft pots , just for convenience. Just use the other nuts provided to adjust your height. You cant split the coils with these pots. You need push/pull pots to do that. Just solder the splitting wires together and tape them off. You will also need to buy a new set of knobs because you are going from course shaft (metric) pots to fine shaft (American) pots.

mentaldisorder3 likes this.
  3. mentaldisorder3

4. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

The Pro's have solid specs's...Alpha pots, iirc, why need to change out the guts?

5. SeanHeffer

SeanHeffer Senior Member

You also may have to ream the opening a small amount as well. The CTS diameter of the threaded area is a bit wider. Please use a reamer to prevent damage. Go slow and check often for fit.

6. mentaldisorder3

Ive seen many reviews under the pots that i bought where they claim to hear a big difference after installing these pots. I am expecting a very small difference, but more than anything, I want to do this to gain more experience with working on guitars and honestly, I love modifying anything i own. But you're right, there is nothing wrong with the original pots :)

yep! I also bought new knobs as the old epiphone knobs will not fit on the CTS pots :)

Also guys, I bought some Gibson Burstbuckers 1 (neck) and a Gibson Burstbucker 2(bridge). I was never intending on going this far LOL! This is the first time Ive ever worked on a guitar, so I'm a little nervous, but after spending countless hours on youtube looking at various videos, i think i can pull it off.

My next goal, is to buy an Official Gibson Les Paul body+neck from Stratosphere and putting in all my electronics into that body after I save up the $900-$1000 they cost lol.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

8. guitarjoem

guitarjoem Double Platinum Supporter MLP Vendor

Awesome! If you go that route, you'll also need to get a bridge and tail piece as the spacing is a tad different, the posts are smaller and the threading is different for them. Mod one thing and you soon see it's just the tip of the iceberg.