User name and password question...

Discussion in 'Front Desk' started by DarrellV, Mar 13, 2017.

1. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

Gentlemen,

I guess I never looked before, but I just had a Firefox update install and now it is popping a warning box where I go to enter my user name and password.

It is warning me that the page is not secure (and it is correct no HTTPS) and that my name and password could be vulnerable to attack.

The link is to mozilla's site with developer and site tips if anybody is interested.

https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Protect-your-privacy/Insecure-password-warning-in-Firefox/ta-p/27861

2. Harmony

Harmony V.I.P. Member

The same thing happened to me back in January after and update with Chrome and Wndows.
    The warning has gone away now, but it still tells me it is not secure if I click the "i" in browser.

Though I am not too worried, I don't put my private/financial info through here.

3. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

but, but, but....Harmony's no gentleman! :D

4. JCarno

JCarno Senior Member

Same here. I didn't notice it on this site because I'm auto logged in. But did notice it on another forum, started an almost exact same thread as this.
    Crickets!!! :hmm:

5. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

Apologies, but the OP was aimed at the Admins not the general forum members. :cool:

It IS good to know it's not just me..

I tried to couch it as an innocuous question to try to avoid 'mod mayhem' :D by using an incendiary topic, but it is a serious issue.

If you take into account the number of ad sites that fly through here on a given day, and some users have already reported some hijacking, then is it out of the realm of possibility that there could be password sniffers among the more roguish ads? :hmm:

Add to that the inclination of people to recycle passwords among different sites just so they can remember them. :shock:

We all know it is not hard for them to track our activities (thanks Google) so they can find out our banking and shopping habits. :cool:

It just a small leap to take an encrypted password from users here and apply it to the other sites they visit and hope for a match. :fingersx:

Spear fishing and password hijackers work along the same principle.

I don't think I'm totally in left field with my concern over this. I just hate drama and panic so I'm trying to present this to the Admins on the down-low.

Hopefully it is part of an upcoming upgrade! :thumb: