Useful guitar tips you wish you knew when you started playing

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by jguitarnash, Jul 23, 2009.

1. 68_Mustang

68_Mustang Senior Member

That there is a reason some effect pedals cost a few hundred dollars and others cost $20 bucks.

But seriously, the most important thing I learned was how to organize my practice time. It is a shame all the time I wasted just playing around calling it practice.

2. in2madness

in2madness Senior Member

Play with as many other musicians as possible. If nothing else it teaches you to listen and find your own space.

I love playing with piano/keyboard players and over guitarists etc but if I could pick just one to play with it would be a drummer.

3. tributeman

tributeman Member

1. learn fingerstyle and/or single note picking before learning chords (alhough many learn-to-play-guitar-in-a-day-books will try to convince you otherwise)
    2. learn standard notation (tab is not useless, but I see it as an addition to standard notation and I hate to use it by itself). so you know what you're playing
    3. Don't buy, stream or download video lessons, unless they come with a good book (see point 2).
    4. try different styles of music. different styles will develop different techniques.

4. se7775

se7775 Senior Member

This is something I happened to learn kind of early on. I put my bucks into a Marshall JVM 205c and I play a cheap washburn with good pups, an ltd ec1000 and i just picked up a Faded studio. When I took the les paul for a test drive it was thru a line 6 spider...blah...when I brought it home it came to life thru my marshall