Useful guitar tips you wish you knew when you started playing

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by jguitarnash, Jul 23, 2009.

1. TrueBlueFlipLover

TrueBlueFlipLover Senior Member

I like this one! I think I will start incorporating this into my routine!

2. Manning

Manning Banned

I wish that I had known just how important and crucial it is to practice slowly(I mean s.....l.....o.....w.....l......y) and accurately. I wasted a lot of time by not doing so.

3. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

I wish to God I'd caught onto these tips when I started playing:

If you can't say it, don't try to play it.---Leslie West.

I'd rather move people than show off.---Paul Kossoff.

It's great to play fast but it's more important to play beautifully. Otherwise you'll have a room full of guys and not a woman in the house.---Carlos Santana.

4. afzal

afzal Junior Member

Guitar to day is as at our fingertips. When i started, i actually had to run home from school just to hear a guy teachinf the three basic chords, C, F, & G.
    Now, we just click on the internet and "welcome to heaven".:slash:

As a matter of fact, i learnt alot of stuff by ear:dude:

5. cherryburst59

cherryburst59 Senior Member

Playing with a band speeds up your technique 10 times better then having classes with a teacher!

christophervolume likes this.
  6. MikeStevens

MikeStevens Senior Member

Pretty much the stuff you take for granted as a guitarist one big one I can think of is proper finger position. A great deal of what I know in guitar today I taught myself. I never really grasped proper technique and I often slip back into my old ways which confuses the hell out of our other guitarist when he gets lost and tries to use what I'm playing as reference to jump back into the song. :laugh2:

7. christophervolume

christophervolume Senior Member

1. practice, practice, then practice more.
    2. join a band. it is the absolute best way to get better, faster.
    3. stop trying to be your guitar hero. be inspired, then make your own path.
    4. try and write songs.

fastdave likes this.
  8. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

Nothing will show you how bad your timing is like playing slowly with a metronome. :laugh2: I like to take whatever riff / lick I'm trying to learn and slow it down to like 50 or 60 BPM. Play it like that 4 or 5 times. Increase speed by 10 BPM. Play it another 4 or 5 times. Repeat until up to full speed.

There was a solo lick that was normally about 144 BPM and it was using triplets. I couldn't even keep track of how it was supposed to sound at that speed, but slowing it down and slowly increasing speed helped me play it without even thinking about it in about 20 minutes.

fastdave likes this.
  9. goodvibes

goodvibes Premium Member

Learn Beatles songs if you are just a beginner. They are Fairly easy and fundamental, and yes; girls like them. My guitar teacher for over two years was Tim Quinn, and he made me practice scales until my fingers bled! After I learned the scale he would have me play the scales over a backing track. This was very effective for me and helped build my confidence which is important when you are starting out.

There is a lot of great help in this thread. I'm glad I found it.....remember, if you areold like me , take care of those tendons! Stretch a lot and ice up after practice if you are hurting. I am still battling tendonitis sand it has threatened to shut down my playing!:dude:

10. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

But strings don't stretch?
    They seat funny or the winding compresses but if the string could really be made to stretch by pulling alone you'd have a loop of silly putty before long.
    I am NOT saying you shouldn't pull the string after winding a new one on.
    But you are not making a 27 inch string 27.2 inches by pulling on it.

11. Groove Toad

Groove Toad Banned

Courtesy of "Deaf Lester Craw Daddy" (the best guitar teacher I ever had) - "I'll teach you delta blues, ragtime, jazz, but if you want to learn rock and roll yer gonna have to wear out your Hendrix records."

12. Sirzach

Sirzach Senior Member

Try to learn stuff by ear. I know that when starting out, this seems impossible, but the feeling once you know that you've got the song down right, all by yourself is awesome. Sadly, not too many nowadays know that feeling. :(

13. RLA

RLA Junior Member

If you are serious about it INVEST in a SWEET guitar from the get-go...I wish I just bought a legit guitar to begin with instead of 3 shitty ones...A good professional instrument will make you WANT to play, and because of its professional nature and build it will play unbelievably well along with sounding head and shoulders above a cheap instrument, you'll thank yourself later. And if you somehow decide to stop playing, you can sell it for 85%-90% of what you paid for it, BAM.

I Doubled my guitar skills of 14 years in 1 year after purchasing a les paul honeyburst TRAD 2010 and its KILLER, i wish I bought one in the begininng,

14. LemonWedge

LemonWedge Senior Member

For the first two weeks I played I thought that frets did nothing so I played nothing but open notes.

15. fastdave

fastdave Senior Member

Hmm, I teach peope to play, and I can't believe the reluctance to look at music.
    We are GUITARISTS, not electric guitarists, and the best advice you will ever get is to learn and play scales. That is what the real shredders do. After that, anything slow is easy. It's all about the messages sent by your brain to your fingers, and the only way to get that new passage is to practice. BUT, there is one thing I didn't look at when I was younger - you must give yourself time for the damn stuff to sink in.
    Don't worry if you don't get that passage right first time - just keep at it and on the third day, you'll see the difference - at the end of a week, you'll have it. IT DOESN'T HAPPEN RIGHT AWAY!
    The infinite selection of sounds electronics has given us is icing on the cake - make the cake before you put the icing on. (Obvious?)
    Your less than amiable friend,
    Dave.

16. fastdave

fastdave Senior Member

How much sense does that make? -100%!
    Well said, mate.

17. colchar

colchar Banned

Had you never seen anyone playing guitar before you picked it up? What did you think they were doing when they played?

18. vstephenson

vstephenson Member

Learn every note on the low E andvA strings
    Learnt every FADE moveable chord shape position
    Umm
    Learned that i can play Bm without the barre and get away with it

19. LemonWedge

LemonWedge Senior Member

:dunno:

20. shark

shark Member

guitar tip From the Rev Billy G. " dood put some velcro on that slide before it flys off yer fingah and hits me in da head" ;)