Useful guitar tips you wish you knew when you started playing

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by jguitarnash, Jul 23, 2009.

1. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

In my experience, not necessarily true... :cool:

(I like everything else on your list though:thumb:)

2. moderation mike

moderation mike Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JIM'S GoldTOP
    Save up your money and get one really nice guitar, instead of having a bunch of shitty ones

True, someone's first guitar should be something reasonably priced, i.e. a squire. But I think his point was don't go buy 15 crappy guitars... Buy one crappy guitar and then start saving for something nice!

3. Manning

Manning Banned

True.

A good musician will always make the most of whatever equipment they have. However, it is important to have decent gear.

4. Will55555

Will55555 Member

If you can play a bass to strengthen your fingers. Pick up a guitar after half an hour on a bass and it will feel much easier!

Practice bending notes precisely! (I hate listening to players who can't bend a note properly)

Close your eyes and listen to what you're playing.

Do some ear training excercises. Check out this free site! It's great.
    Ricci Adams' Musictheory.net

Stay loose. Notice where you tense up as you play and try to relax that muscle.

Most importantly have fun!

5. adkima00

adkima00 Senior Member

Throwing a 7th into a major pentatonic is a cool thing to do.

You play guitar with your head as well as your hands.

6. Hotspur

Hotspur Senior Member

Two things:

Work on your ear. You'll be glad you did.

Don't get more amp than you need. You don't need 50 watts. You probably don't need 25. Yeah, a Marshall head on a 4x12 cab looks awesome ... but it's a giant pain in the neck, particularly if you want to play anywhere other than your living room.

25 watts is plenty to do small gigs with.

7. phblues

phblues Senior Member

Tap your foot while you play...for some reason this took me years and only really came out when I stopped thinking and started enjoying.

Often times you'll forget to tap your foot with a drummer...i advise to keep that foot tapping, don't THINK TOO MUCH!

and yes...don't go buying a bunch of low quality guitars...

Manning likes this.
  8. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful Banned

Try and keep your fingers in line with the frets Most people play with their fingers at an angle. It takes some getting used to, but I feel it makes for cleaner single note passages.

9. Robert Arthur

Robert Arthur Senior Member

To mute the strings I am not playing

10. Robert Arthur

Robert Arthur Senior Member

The are chords, like "G" with a seventh, that seemingly can't be played any other way...also, it allows you to do tricks while still holding barrre and power chords as well...I love my pinky!!

11. Manning

Manning Banned

:thumb:

I can't seem to stop my foot from tapping when I play. I have tried, just to see if I could.

12. Montrose

Montrose Senior Member

Get a squier, get some 8 gauge strings. Learn the "A" chord, AC/DC "D" chord, and G, then learn almost all of AC/DC's stuff.. I wish I did that earlier when I was young, when I did I finally had confidence and a great command over first position chords.

13. bggreat

bggreat Banned

nice username i love real hip hop RIP tupac :(

14. bggreat

bggreat Banned

what i have learned is don't give up. If you want to play a hard solo dont give up just keep trying and trying and trying and at one point it all of a sudden becomes way easier.

15. InkedLester

InkedLester Drippin with Blues Blood

Place your first finger on any fret of the low E string; now place your third finger on the D string two frets down (technically up) and it's the SAME note. You can do the same thing with the A string and G string. Wuu Huu. If you go the D or G string with your pointer, just drop another fret with your 3rd finger and BAM, same note.

It makes more sense if you actually do it than try to decipher what I wrote! :) It took me over a year of playing before someone actually pointed this out to me. What a great way to find notes fasters if you learn your E and A strings!

16. InkedLester

InkedLester Drippin with Blues Blood

That is Chinese to most beginers, if not many players.

17. firebird52

firebird52 Senior Member

Exactly what I did. My first guitar was probably the cheapest Epiphone there is, the SG Special. Later I accquired a discontinued Epiphone Firebird VII, and recently, nt first Gibson. An SG Standard w/ coil taps. Working from the ground up is a good idea and helps you learn your style and what you want in a guitar.

18. TheWelder

TheWelder Senior Member

Shorten up your guitar strap so the the guitar is right under your rib cage - look at a picture of George Harrison from 1964 and try to emulate his posture.

Playing your guitar at your knees might work for your favorite rock 'guitar hero' but it is pretty counter productive in terms of learning how to actually play.

19. Guitarzandstuff

Guitarzandstuff Senior Member

Amazing how many experienced players haven't quite figured this one out yet!!

20. outskirts of infinity

outskirts of infinity Senior Member

Yeah, stretching new strings is a good one.

Here's one that I didn't try until I had been playing a few years, and wow what a difference it made. Always always always wipe your guitar's strings down with a clean cloth after you finish playing. Your strings will remain fresher longer. By a lot.